main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Just HOW close are Hoth, Anoat and Bespin

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Andrelious, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Andrelious

Andrelious Jedi Knight

Sep 26, 2012
    It is clearly established in ESB that the Falcon's Hyperdrive isn't working. Despite this, it doesn't take Han and co long to escape into the Anoat system, having launched from the Hoth system.

They then fly from Anoat to Bespin, again in different systems.

Our own Sol system is 4 light years away from another star, let alone another solar system with usable planets..Bespin, Hoth and Anoat must be virtually on top of each other...

2. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    According to the maps in The Essential Guide to Warfare, Hoth and Bespin are practically on top of each other. I cannot find Anoat anywhere, however.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Backup hyperdrive.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The Force did it.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    They drank a Red Bull

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Essential Atlas has a close-up- the three are very close together. That said, most later sources support the notion that the Falcon had a backup hyperdrive as well.

So it's a bit of both.

DarthBoba likes this.
  7. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The systems can't be so close together that travel between them can be accomplished by sublight, or else they'd essentially be the same system. It'd be like, "the Hoth system. There's not much there. Our probe droid did, however, find a thriving tibanna gas mine and a whole lot of Ugnaughts."

It's important to remember that Han and Chewie double as part-time gearhead starship mechanics. They can conceivably park the ship in space and work on it. They could probably jury-rig the hyperdrive so that it would be temporarily reliable within a certain limited range before having to be properly repaired at a known port.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The systems can't be so close together that travel between them can be accomplished by sublight, or else they'd essentially be the same system. It'd be like, "the Hoth system. There's not much there. Our probe droid did, however, find a thriving tibanna gas mine and a whole lot of Ugnaughts."

It's important to remember that Han and Chewie double as part-time gearhead starship mechanics. They can conceivably park the ship in space and work on it. They could probably jury-rig the hyperdrive so that it would be temporarily reliable within a certain limited range before having to be properly repaired at a planet.

DarthBoba likes this.
  9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I like that a whooole lit better than the EU's backup hyperdrive, myself.

10. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    When I was younger I didn't quite understand the whole system thing in SW, even though I was knowledgeable of our solar system and how that works. I guess it would be easy to be confused when they travel from planet to planet like they are all in the same solar system. Imagine if STAR WARS were that way, where everything is in the same solar system but with lots of planets. Would it still basically be the same?

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    you mean, the entire galaxy is one solar system? :p

12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's usually what I'm really thinking of when I use the term "backup hyperdrive" as kind of a placeholder.

What I can't help noticing is that the situation with the Falcon in TESB and the situation with the Queen's ship in TPM, though phrased so as to be apparently different in terms of cause, are essentially identical in terms of outcome. In both cases the result is the same: our heroes have to find a safe port within a certain limited range.

13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    True. Although I'd say Han & Company's situation is a hell of a lot more perilous. Pretty inept trans-galactic corporation that can't track down a single bright-silver ship. :p

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    In the original version they spent 1000 years in cryosleep during the trip. Han Solo had a dream he had a cool hat and then visited the Amish. Leia had a nightmare her career would be primarily remembered by her wearing a bathing suit.

15. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This is the case in Firefly and Serenity, a sci fi/space fantasy series set in just one multiple star system called Tauri 34 but with a lot of planets and moons.

16. venepe

venepe Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    Well Han does say "Bespin. It's pretty far, but I think we can make it." so he implies that there is a way they can get there with a damaged hyperdrive.
    Maybe a series of short jumps. But it should have taken them weeks or months in order for Luke's training to be advanced enough and for Vader to deal with Lando.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  17. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    TESB is my favorite of the bunch, but one thing they could have improved was to better convey the length of time it took Han and the gang to reach Bespin, and by extension, how long Luke trained for.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Lando said Vader arrived right before Han did.

19. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Luke's Jedi training took four months and Han, Leia, Chewbacca, Threepio and Artoo's travel to Bespin, too.

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Do you have a source for that? I always thought it was a month, but I just did some digging and I couldn't find a source confirming it either way.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  21. zenji needle

zenji needle Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 1999
    Yeah, it seems like the situation is either everyone on the Falcon was stuck on the verge of cabin fever for a looong time, or Luke only needed a few day's wirth of training on Dagobah before he was moving on.

Although I'm in favor of a long-enough time (months?) for Han and Leia to fall in love, when i was younger I never thought it was more than a few hours, because that's how long the movie was.

DarthBoba likes this.
  22. facebook

facebook Jedi Knight

Oct 16, 2012
    I think this makes the most sense. Luke was able to hold his own against Darth Vader, one of the most powerful men alive. It only makes sense that he was training with Yoda for at least several weeks. Just because the movie is only 2 hours long doesn't mean everything takes place in such a condensed period of time. There's probably just stuff they didn't show us that happened, but wasn't needed to be shown in the context of the movie.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I take a somewhat different tack. Vader wants Luke to kill the Emperor, right? And doesn't believe he has received much training-"He is just a boy...". Luke's success is actually because Vader is teaching Luke how to duel. We're watching a father train his son to take on and destroy the most powerful Sith ever.

Zeta1127 and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I agree. I'd say that at least a month had gone by. But not much more, really. As far as the Falcon is concerned, I'm sure fuel waste is a bigger issue when it concerns sublight space travel, as opposed to hyperspace travel. I'm guessing the former is an old fashion and high cost method, as it would be here on Earth. If we were capable of such speeds as sublight travel, that is. The latter is probably less fuel consuming, because it deals with a different science altogether. Perhaps it's fold space teleportation technology, which explains the short time it takes to travel to and fro. The hyperdrive, according to the films, always seemed like an expensive part on a ship, but again, I'm sure it's also fuel efficient.

25. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    They are very close. The map of the known galaxy in Windham's guide shows that the three systems are right next to each other along the Corellian Trade Spine (a very well established route), and in the same book he goes on to say that they travelled to Bespin via sublight (but doesn't mention how long it took).

The Haynes owner's manual for the YT-1300 states that the Falcon had souped-up sublight engines and was very fast, comparable to very fast capital ships and starfighters. It goes on to say that it's engines are very fuel efficient, as well.