main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Kathleen Kennedy "Disney to release two to three LUCAS FILM movies a YEAR"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Saurion-Fett, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Good or Bad news I dont know...

But it does look like a EU fans wet dream.

We get an update on Star Wars from Kathleen Kennedy, who is spearheading the new movies for Disney.
    [​IMG]
    In the recent issue of Entertainment Weekly, Kennedy reveals that she wants to put out two or three films a year.
    Now, it doesn't exactly read "Star Wars" movies, as Indiana Jones is also included with Lucasfilm, but producer Frank Marshall previously let it be known that Indiana Jones is on the back burner.
    Furthermore, they could be animated films, children's films or Star Wars adapted made-for-tv films.
    Could you image 2 or 3 Star Wars movies a year?!
    It's also stated in the magazine that Star Wars Episode VII will feature the original characters as well as taking place after the events of Return of the Jedi that saw Vader give up his life for Luke.
    Here's the full quote (via Kotaku):
    Lucasfilm’s co-chairman and soon-to-be president, Kathleen Kennedy, has told employees she wants the company to produce two or three films a year (it’s averaged fewer than four per decade), and first up is Star Wars: Episode VII for 2015, which will pick up sometime after Darth Vader gave his life to overthrow (figuratively and literally) the Emperor and save Luke in 1983’s Episode VI— Return of the Jedi. Yes, the plan is to return to the characters in the first trilogy (1977–83). Whether the original actors will have significant roles or merely be on hand to pass the baton to a new generation of actors—something Lucasfilm tried with mixed success with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Disney with TRON: Legacy—is unclear.​

2. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Ooh. I'm a little disappointed. I hoped it would feature an all new cast, but this could be exciting too. Say goodbye to the EU I think.

3. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    Sorry there is another thread on this topic I did search but did not look far enough down the list

4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008

5. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm sure they are looking to expand beyond just Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

6. Saurion-Fett

Jul 3, 2001
    I am not an EU fan ....but I think they might try the marvel thing and promote other stories to link to one big movie....smugglers ....JEDI.....SITH.....BOUNTY hUNTERS...I dont like it at the moment....but I think its where they are headed

7. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    For me it's sad that the reason for making so many movies is just to make money... no real artistic impulse to make them, I'm afraid (since they're thinking about getting so many films out instead of whether they have a story or not).

8. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Kennedy is a prolific producer, so her turning LFL into a moviemaking powerhouse is to be expected.

9. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    We are all fraked. Game over man....game over.

10. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    No saga would be complete without a "fish out of water" situation comedy about Binks' time as a Padme's assistant on Coruscant.

11. GeekFurious

GeekFurious Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2012
    She is definitely not talking about 2 or 3 Star Wars movies a year.

The plan is to do one Star Wars movie every 2 years. And that is it. The company will make a lot more than Star Wars movies along the way.

12. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Looks like we're gonna get that Shia Labeouf Indy reboot after all...

13. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    Or even something totally different.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    So she wants Lucasfilm to become an active producer. That's pretty cool, honestly. It doesn't mean we're getting three Star Wars a year, though.

15. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    This doesn't mean we're getting 2-3 movies a year. This means LucasFilm will be making 2-3 movies a year. Movies like Indy 5, another WW2 flick, anything they want.

It's already been confirmed the gap between Episode VII, Episode VIII, and Episode IX will be around 2-3 years.

Easy to get the two confused. Entertainment Weekly did a terrible job at explaining that.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Good news. As many have said, it doesn't mean 3 Star Wars movies a year.

What does slightly alarm me is the possibility that they go for quantity over quality. Of course, it is all in the far future now, we'll see how things go.

17. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Day of the Tentacle. Please.

And how bout full on Disney Animation Star Wars versions of the films too

18. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Why would it mean a drop in quality? Most movie studio's release more then one movie a year. Its more about having the money to pay for multi. production teams.

19. GeekFurious

GeekFurious Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2012
    Most likely now that Disney and Kennedy are in positions of power.

20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I didn't say it would necessarily mean a drop in quality, just that it is easy to get carried away pumping out stuff to rack up a high number of releases instead of making sure they're good releases.
    Again, it does not mean a drop in quality by default - just expressing my concern that they focus on quantity instead of quality, which of course remains to be seen if it's a valid concern :)

21. fenton

Nov 29, 2001

As I said in regards to Disney, they know that the best way to make money, protect existing franchises and create new ones is to make sure the quality stays high.

2-3 movies a year isn't a really big number.

22. yggdrasil311

Oct 7, 2004
    Marvel is making 2-3 movies a year right now. They are kicking ass, and they are owned by Disney.

I see no worries to be had with this.

23. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Excatly. If Lucas was going to personality make 2-3 movies a year I'd be worried. But they have the money and desire to have 2 or 3 productions going at once....I don't see a problem (unless all are star wars).

Boxster and yggdrasil311 like this.
  24. yggdrasil311

Oct 7, 2004
    I'd like to see some creative takes for Star Wars though. I know not all of them would be great, but it would be cool to see some different perspectives to fleshout the universe.

I'd love to see a mockumentary-type movie like District 9 movie indicating how the worlds were during all of these famous conflicts.

Or a Dark Side driven movie, like following a batallion of stormtroopers like the Republic Commando.

They have a BIG opportunity to make a Star Wars Force Unleashed set of movies, as a way to get Darth Vader back on-screen. They can also easily get the actor that portrayed Starkiller, as he is currently starring in the american version of Being Human:
    [​IMG]

I can also see the Lucasfilm movies encompassing a whole set of Lego Star Wars movies, geared towards kids continuing.

Apophis_ and TreborSabreon like this.
  25. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Jar Jar Prequel Trilogy!

I called it first.