main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Keep the Midi-chlorians out of the sequels please!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Sith_Knight087, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    To be fair the Midi-chlorians were more relevant in the PT era but not so much in the OT era as Luke would of had no knowledge of their existence. Maybe as he got older while going about creating his New Jedi Order, along the way discovering lost Jedi artifacts and doing more research into the force, he would have likely stumbled upon them. But I doubt the story will have much if anything to do with them as Luke and co will likely be too busy with fighting battles to bother mentioning them. I just feel that the Midi-chlorians have no need to really be mentioned in the ST, but if Disney and Lucasfilm want the Midi-chlorians in the new films.. well then fair enough it's their decision.

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    They weren't mentioned in the Original trilogy, so I dont want them mentioned in the sequel trilogy

3. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Nice and succinct.

4. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    I agree, I doubt there will be much need to mention them. However, I am open to it providing they explain the concept better (for the casual fan) and it enhances the story they are trying to tell.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They'll be mentioned.

It was adequately explained. Still, people entering Episode 7 will be handed a cheat sheet reading "MIDICHLORIANS ARE NOT THE FORCE". It's proven scientific fact that people always assume midichlorians are the Force unless specifically told that they are not.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Midichlorians: a terrible idea IMO. Making the Force dependent on a cellular organism to be studied in a lab?! Still staggered to think that this idea got through. After being mentioned several times in TPM they were completely absent from the 2nd film & got one brief mention in RotS.

Given that they completely suck coupled with the fact that Abrams is an OT fanatic I'd say the odds of them returning to the story are approximately 3,720 to 1

7. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    That is fine. However, to paraphase Darth Chiznuk above, they should carefully explain the interaction with the Force with a little more depth. I feel they kind of threw it out there and hoped it would be digested. Some people understoond it and others did not. Unfortunately, a sizable number of people who did not get it were movie critics, who help to lead the charge in panning a movie I feel is under appreciated. If the writers are just going to mention midi-chlorians and not enhance the understanding, then they should leave the topic out.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Once again, MIDICHLORIANS ARE NOT THE FORCE.

Fixed.

TPM already did that, and people ignored/rewrote it. What's to stop history from repeating itself?

By that logic, writers should never mention the Force ever again, unless the citation is being used to "enhance the understanding". Or any other plot element. It's a ridiculous standard and unworkable in practice - but, of course, it's not meant to be applied to anything other than midichlorians.

9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeah, but midi-chlorians is the basic ingredient to all life. According to Qui-Gon, without it, life would not exist. Surely this would have been taught in schools, no?

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Talking about them more would've been digging an even bigger hole. Cellular organisms, symbiotic cells, genome manipulation etc etc all belong in a Star Trek movie, not Star Wars!

Being focused on in TPM & then dropped just looks ridiculous. Lucas keeps saying the saga is one big story. Well imagine someone watching it in order. They make a big deal about these things in the first movie then they are ignored from the next 5 (apart from one vague mention in RotS which makes it worse bcs it alludes to yet another big development that is never explored, ie the Sith "creating" Anakin).

11. Sith_Knight087

Sep 5, 2012
    Mainly only researchers, scientists and force users like Jedi and Sith etc knew about them.

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I disagree. I think the reason it had to be explained to Anakin is because he probably never went to school — being a slave and all.

13. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Now I see why people are taking MidiChlos the wrong way.

They use Dragon Ball "LOGIC" in measuring it, like power levels.

And we all know how much bullsith that is.

14. DARTHSHAME

Dec 19, 2003
    Well, you are correct you cannot totally stop history from repeating itself. As for the idea of never mentioning the Force again, I do not agree with your assessment of my line of thinking. Nobody has ever complained about not completely understanding the Force. In fact, viewers of the OT seemed fine without knowing all the details. However, many viewers were left struggling to understand the midi-chlorian concept. I am strictly referring to midi-chlorians and how it was presented in the PT. You can try to force feed it to people (no pun intended); however, it simply did not go over as intended. It is not riduculous or unworkable. In fact, omitting potentially confusing elements of a message/presentation happens on a daily basis in many professions. If the comprehension and understanding of the overall message has the potential to be compromised by a concept that is not essential to the understanding of the main message, it is often omitted. Even if that concept could help to further explain the main message. The key is making sure that the main message comes across. I am not saying that mentioning midi-chlorians is a problem. I am saying it became a distraction to many watching TPM. It may be wise to avoid repeating the distraction, since it is unlikely to affect the main plot of the film.

15. Sith_Knight087

Sep 5, 2012
    Believe what you want then I don't care anymore, sorry.

16. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Lets face it, they're never coming back & will remain an anomaly of TPM where they belong. No I don't know this for sure but it's a safe bet bcs they were dropped after TPM & are very badly thought of by so many fans

Now, I'm off to talk about things that may actually be in the sequels...

17. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I think most people somehow have the perception that just because Disney has taken over and they now have Abrams as director and Arnt as the writer and with the all of the reports of them trying to give 7-9 more of an OT, that all things PT will be forgotten and ignored. I think this will be far from the case. Remember, Michael Arnt wrote a detailed treatment and the script itself BASED on a story outline from GL. Perhaps George's outline wasn't detailed enough to include things like the midis. But regardless, Arnt has had in depth conferences with both George and Kathy. For all we know there could be a major revealtion about the force/chosen one prophecy/force ghosts/manipulating the midiclorians to create life/cheating death.....any of of those mysteries could be expanded upon (and likely will be) and the midis could easily come into play.

I am not saying the midiclorians will definetly come up again. But I don't think its a given that they will be forgotten, just because Arnt, Abrams, and Kennedy are somehow hellbent on erasing the PT from everyone's memories. Arnt is immersing himself in the mythology and is very likely leaning on George for guidance and details. If some force mystery requires the midis to be brought back up, then I have no doubt Arnt will do it.

18. Sith_Knight087

Sep 5, 2012
    Wish I'd just called this thread ''Will the Midi-chlorians be mentioned in the ST?''. Oh well I can't go back and change it now, what's done is done. [face_sigh]

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    By the time of the ST the PT era will be ancient history, 50-60 years earlier. The OT will be only 20-30 years earlier & the main OT characters will star in the ST. So of course the ST will be more in line with the OT.

Also remember, midichlorians were even dropped from the rest of the PT after TPM! It's pretty obvious Lucas intended to set up something major during TPM, with all the focus on midichlorians & the comments regarding Anakin's mysterious conception. I'm guessing after seeing how badly this was received he realised this was an awful idea & dropped it, only giving it a throwaway reference in RotS

20. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Well at least this whole MidiChlos thing and the brief reference gave rise to one thing.

The awesomeness that is Darth Plagueis.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think it was just a throwaway reference in ROTS. It was a very major detail because it gave a clue to how Anakin was conceived and that the Sith were perhaps involved thereby directly or indirectly creating the being who was destined to destroy them. Also Plagueis' experiments into midi-chlorian manipulation is instrumental in Anakin's turn to the dark side. It is the power he seeks to save his wife from death. That's pretty significant to me.

VMeran and Luukeskywalker like this.
  22. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I don't mean throwaway as in not important. I mean it wasn't expanded upon, & the opera scene combined with Shmi's comments about the mystery of Anakin's conception infers that the Sith may have been involved in Anakin's creation. Once again though, not followed up or expanded upon. I agree they are all significant points but handled terribly from a writing & story point of view, IMO

23. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    It's funny because it's true...

or is this not the place for EU references?

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Why should we "face" something that you have no way of knowing, which is just an expression of what you want to happen?

VMeran, Darth Chiznuk and JackG like this.
  25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Half the EPVII forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.