main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

kent stater looking for costumers going to CIII...

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by paxdelere, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paxdelere

paxdelere Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2004
    i am a cultural geography student writing my dissertation on the 'where' and 'when' of identity expression comparing fandom with so-called normal culture.

WHAT I NEED FROM PARTICIPANTS IS:
    1 have a history of costuming
    2 answer a few questions about being a fan and where and when you wear costumes (i've heard some interesting stories about wearing sw gear in public)
    3 take pictures (i provide a digital camera)inside/outside the CIII event based on the question 'what aspects of this event represent your idea of authentic sw fan culture?' and then elaborate on the photos after.

it shouldn't take more than an hour for the whole thing.

past work on fandom has been particularly elitist and treats fans as nerdy rubes. i hate that and describe fan culture and 'normal' culture as expressions of the same processes. sooo, within my theoretical discussion, i participate in and talk with costumers to illustrate my points that show fandom as artifically 'othered' from so-called 'normal culture'.

2. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    hmmm... always happy to help out a fellow Kent Stater...

couple questions though:
    1) define "history of costuming." i've been working on several costumes just don't have any finished yet.
    2) "...particularly elitist and treats fans as nerdy rubes." what if i want to be a nerdy rube? :p

other than that, count me in... sounds like fun... :D

-b-

3. paxdelere

Oct 27, 2004
    CIII: revenge of the nerdy rubes!

thanks BMACK, i think it will be fun since i get to mix work and play. when i'm finished you can go to the ksu library and see your photos in my dissertation, that's always fun.

being a fan and reading reviews and theories about fandom has been generally superficial and insulting. most studies involve groupies and stalkers and use mentally troubled individuals as examples of fandom, ridiculous! since the '90's though, fan research has been less interested in theorizing fandom and more interested in the fans themselves, which is how i approach it.

by HISTORY OF COSTUMING, i mean that participants should have some experience in wearing costumes prior to interviewing. in other words, i am looking for people that have worn costumes representing something that they are fans of (for example a storm trooper outfit represents sw).

the event is a long way off, but the sooner i can get in contact with participants the better.

for all who are interested you can email me @:
    sbutcher@kent.edu

sorry for the long posts...

4. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    If you're looking for a couple different persectives...I'd like to be part of this as well.

fan research has been less interested in theorizing fandom and more interested in the fans themselves
    I like that concept...because when many people think about (in this case) SW fans, they only imagine "nerds", "geeks", and as you put it "rubes" who sit around in their basement waving a lightsaber, making whooshing noies (we only do that once or twice a year ;) ) but through the costuming side of things...we've been able to go out and help people in REAL ways that your "average" person may not be able/willing to.

To give you an idea, this past weekend...a group of us were at a local Wal-mart (Canton) for their grand opening. In the 2 hours we were working...we raised over $155 for Childrens Miracle Network. Add to that the many kids who were thrilled to see us (and troopers from Ohio Garrison 501st) to the point where I was signing autographs (as "Qui-Gon Jinn")

That's the part of being a SW fan/costumer that appeals to me, being able to go out and sort live that "jedi knight" philosophy of helping other people...by simply dressing up as characters from a movie known around the world.

5. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Say, will you also interview a person from Pittsburgh? I already have my tix and hotel for CIII, so I'll be there. Since I'm from another city, this may give you another perspective. Just a thought. BTW, I've dressed as several different Jedi and the Emperor, even having my photo put on http://www.starwars.com (Just giving this as proof as my "history" of wearing costumes) In my particular Fanforce, our group has visited our local Children's hospital, held raffles so that the money recieved would be donated to various charities, etc. (We've hooked up with this great Cleveland FF several times now, in costume too, so maybe you could include that) I'm eluding to the WRHS museum visit and comicon this year.

In the words of Luke Skywalker to Biggs Darklighter in the Special edition of Star Wars: A New Hope "Oh have I got stories to tell..."

and pictures.

-Sal

6. paxdelere

Oct 27, 2004
    the more the merrier. i am a browns fan though [face_dancing]

7. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    So long as we don't go down that road, we'll be just fine...heh heh.

8. paxdelere

Oct 27, 2004
    i'm off to joann's for some jedi fabric. thanks for the info jedi sal

9. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    That's why I'm here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.