main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kids and Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by LordGarthNader, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordGarthNader

LordGarthNader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I am 42 and Star Wars has been in my life since I was 5. I have twin 8 year old boys who have had some interest in Star Wars mainly due to Angry Birds and Lego shows. As my excitement over the upcoming movies has grown they have become more and more interested asking questions. We have begun watching the movies. Seeing it through their eyes is one of those unexplainable but amazing things. As the rancor had the door dropped on its head they both said they felt sorry for it, something I have always felt. Had some dust in my eyes! Sorry for the rambling but I am curious what others have gone through with their kids.

Pensivia likes this.
  2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moved to SWC from Saga

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll be 42 next month and my sons are 8 and 6. I introduced them to the movies first but they got into the fandom more with The Clone Wars. Most of the questions they have asked have involved how the characters connected to each other, and they've asked some questions about how lightsabers are made. They play Star Wars on the playground like I did when I was a kid but they have more characters to choose from. There was one afternoon when my oldest decided that he would be Vader and his brother would be Dooku. I posted on Facebook later asking if it was wrong that both kids wanted to play Sith Lords; the response I got was "If by 'wrong' you mean '****ing awesome', then yes." :p

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't have kids yet, but when I do, I'm forcing them to first watch SW and then ST.

Pensivia likes this.
  5. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I'm 40 and my kids are 4 and 2.... My eldest is a girl who happened to stumble upon my TPM on my iPad... She thought that the entire scene between ObiWan and Maul at the end was a dance routine... and wondered if she could get a red sword for her dancing. I knew then I'd have to table SW for a couple more years.... but I'm definitely looking forward to watching with both of them (my son is 2) in the order of the original release dates... IV, V, VI and then I, II, and III....

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  6. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    im 41 and saw Star Wars when I was 5..... I have a 3 yr old boy and a 6 yr old girl who both love it, the boy adores it and asks to watch the films nearly everyday. He loves sitting on a cushion on the floor and pretending to be in the podrace. Its my belief you cannot say you have truely seen Star Wars, especially the PT, unless you have seen them with a child... cannot wait to see it on the big screen with them, i will definately cry

7. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    such a sweet anecdote:)

8. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    As a 2nd generation Star Wars fan growing up in the 90's, I was exposed from an extremely early age. Like, literally 0 years old. I never found any part of it scary or traumatizing as some parents fear, and my understanding of the movies only increased as I matured and saw the prequels came out. So from my point of view, I am highly in favor of early exposure. Start em' young, but save Revenge of the Sith for when they're old enough. That's like the Star Wars fan-mitzfuh nowadays, not to mention it's an extremely depressing movie.

Pensivia likes this.
  9. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i hide my kids eyes when Anakin chops Dooku's head off

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ewww you're all old and full of mold. I hope I never get to be old.

11. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    I'm 41, and don't have children, but the Saga allows me to feel like I still am one.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If I posted how young my oldest was when I caved and let him watch ROTS, you people would probably call Tipper Gore or Focus on the Family on me.

And it's actually his favorite of all the SW films.

Pensivia likes this.
  13. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    My 8 year old nephew loves Star wars. He hasn't been allowed to watch ROTS yet though because we're pretty sure that Anakin's fall would be too scary for him. This is another reason I think children should watch the OT first. ...Then they can watch TPM and ATOC, but save ROTS until they're mature enough to handle it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.