main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side KotOR Jedi Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by debbie_l_g, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    The Complete Jedi Costuming Guide

You should be able to find plenty of info in there about making the outer robe worn by the Jedi. It's a lengthy thread, even longer than this one, so it should have lots of good info. :)

2. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    So, I was thinking about some of the details of the KOTOR Jedi garb, and it dawned on me the easiest way to handle the bracers and/or gloves: Buy them from renaissance costuming companies. Good ones will have a nice selection of bracers, gloves, and gauntlets that'll work just fine. :)

Here's a couple to try:
    Chivalry Sports
    Museum Replicas

They're also good places to shop for boots and belts, as well! :D

3. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    1. Sorry about all the back-to-back posts. I really wish we didn't have a time limit on editing our posts. That would make it easier to add in additional thoughts later. Perhaps that's an idea to take into consideration for the NEW & IMPROVED messageboards... whenever that ends up happening. ;)

2. So, I just got the new catalog from Museum Replicas in the mail the other day. As I was looking through it, focusing on bracers/vambraces I might be able to incorporate into my KOTOR-era Jedi garb, I noticed, on page 64 of the new catalog (Catalog # 85), a picture of a barbarian warrior wearing an AWESOME new pair of vambraces (so new that they won't be available for purchase until the NEXT catalog)! They're black leather, and the outside (main) surface has some nicely-sculpted metal plates on it, so that they're armored. The armor plates seem to have a darker coloring, not the bright aluminum or stainless steel color seen on many of their other armor pieces. They may be antiqued or something.

Originally, I was thinking "it would be great to have someone make me some prop high-tech bracers, replicas of the actual equippable ones seen in the game, such as the Mandalorian Power Shield or something." But then I realized what a costly pain in the arse that could be. But seeing these new vambraces brought to mind the resurrection of an idea from the Jedi Council comics that Dark Horse did: Cortosis Shields! :D

Quick explanation for those who don't know what they are: Cortosis is a rare metal, the only known substance in the universe that a lightsaber can NOT cut through! A group of enemies made bracers from pure Cortosis, and used them, along with their quick reflexes, to block incoming lightsaber attacks. Cortosis not only blocks a saber blade, it has a unique side-effect; contact with pure cortosis causes a lightsaber blade to instantly deactivate, leaving the Jedi (or Sith) using the weapon wide open to a devastating counterattack! [face_devil]

Cortosis has since worked its way into the KOTOR mythos. All the melee weapons in that era are said to be made with a "cortosis weave", allowing someone using a regular melee weapon, such as a vibroblade, to duel effectively with a Jedi or Sith. Comes in quite handy when your party runs into INSANE amounts of dark Jedi at the end of the game. Your non-Jedi can still fight melee battles against them. :cool:

Now, obviously, this same explanation can be used to explain why the staff weapons used by General Grievous' guards are impervious to damage from a lightsaber blade. Also, obviously, when the saber blades contact those melee weapons, they do NOT deactivate. I think the trick there is the explanation of a "cortosis weave". In other words, the weapons are made from an alloy that is only partially made of cortosis. The metal can't be cut through by a saber blade, but it doesn't deactivate the saber blade the way pure cortosis does! ;)

So, yeah, that's what I'm thinking... my KOTOR-era Jedi wears an early version of the cortosis shields, made with PURE cortosis! No sneaky cutting THIS Jedi's hands off, nosiree!!! ;)

4. Jack_T_Chance

Aug 18, 2002
    Follow up: Here's the image I saw in the catalog. On this barbarian warrior, you can see the vambraces in question.

[image=http://www.museumreplicas.com/imagelib/0100558_l_000.jpg]

Very cool, I just hope they aren't too expensive once they're available.

5. Nic_Wespri

Nic_Wespri Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Woh, thats a really good Revan outfit. What did u use for the armor part? but all your details on it are nice.

6. Scoundrel1100

Scoundrel1100 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 28, 2004
    Aside from an old leather vest I had in a closet, I used sports padding/armor. The inner layer is the leather vest. The middle layer is a football kidney pad vest with the maroonish colored fake leathery stuff (vinyl maybe??) riveted on. The top layer or the front layer is a baseball umpire's chest protector with the same coloring riveted on. The gauntlets were the same deal. They were made from modified football lineman's arm guard thingys with coloring riveted on. Fashionable and functional! ha ha I've practiced swordplay/choreography in it. It definitely takes some of the hurt away if you get whacked in the front with a shinai.

Scoundrel

7. Darth_Kurai

Darth_Kurai Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2005
    Scoundrel1100: Did you make Darth Revan's mask too or you just made the robes (they are great!!!:))?

8. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    when i made nomi's gauntlets i made the base part out of a lighter material then painted the gauntlets on and sewed that onto the green top. just lined everything up when i sewed. looks good to me.

9. Scoundrel1100

Nov 28, 2004
    Thank you for the compliment. No, I haven't made the mask yet. I'm still trying to think of what I should make it out of. I mean I was going to mod the H-E-double hockey sticks (HA!) out of one of those Jason Vorhees masks you get at Halloween time, but 1) I don't want to wait until Halloween time, and 2) They're kinda small. I'm still trying to think up ideas. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Scoundrel

10. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    I want to do a Darth Nihilus costume, but I don't have the games yet so could anyone help me out by pointing me in the direction for reference pics?

11. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Did some scouting for Visas yesterday... didn't find all the fabric I wanted. I think I might switch my plans for the outer dress slightly. Rather than doing a poly/lycra/PVC blend with a matte fabric (no way do I want my Visas to be shiny!), I think I'm going to look for the same kind of polyester that was used in my high school orchestra dress. Not quite what I was going for, but it'll function.

Now I must just wait until I'm paid, then I can do stuff like buying lots of fabric and patterns. :D

12. Bippal

Bippal Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2005
    Here was my Darth Nihilus costume. If anyone remembers me that is lol.
    http://img296.echo.cx/img296/95/costumec329rs.jpg

13. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Very cool costume. ;)

Dos it matter what saber hilt I use? There is one by Park Sabers that I have always wanted and this costume would give me a reason to finally buy it.

14. Kynaeus

Kynaeus Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    It only matters which hilt you use if you are doing a true-to-character costume; so no Luke ROTJ saber for a darth vader or no mace windu for obi-wan

Has anyone else been successful in creating a KotOR robe??

15. Chronopoint

Chronopoint Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2002
    It has been in the works since before C3...but the process took much longer than anticipated. We ended up making an enclosed oven, a vacuum table and all....turned the back garage into a giant plastic molding facility ;P

Anyways...My revan armor and mask has been molded and we have started airbrushing the armor. Additionally all of the soft armor has been meticulously researched and completed.

I will post some pics of where are are at the moment..

here is a picture of my father with the mask...obviously there is still much painting to do.

http://geocities.com/chronopoint/newpics/revan1.jpg (unpainted chest plate)

http://geocities.com/chronopoint/newpics/revan.jpg

I will have to post the soft armor later....as well as new pics..these are older ones unfortunatly. I thought I had the new ones with me..guess not...the mask is up to date though..thats as far as we are with the painting...will likely finish it this weekend...I will have the whole armor assembled and together late next week where I will take plenty of pics to post.

Oh yea...the friend that helped me sew my soft armor (which I will post later) made this for her visas costume...I have yet to see the whole costume...but based off of her veil..and ofcourse the revan soft armor pics I will post tonight...I am sure it will be awesome!

http://geocities.com/chronopoint/newpics/visas.jpg

16. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    here is a pic of my darth nihlus and my girlfriends visas

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sith_slayer2002/detail?.dir=e054&.dnm=6e40.jpg&.src=ph

17. Chronopoint

Nov 25, 2002
    well I didnt end up posting the soft armor pics yet...but I will soon.

18. DARTH_DONALD

DARTH_DONALD Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    hey folks could anyone pm me a list of materials that they used in a revan costume? I live in the uk and trying to find any good info on revan robes is a nightmare. for the mask i did think bout using a royal guard helmet modifying it. any thoughts on that?
    scoundrel love costume, but as im in uk cant get a hold of american football kit, what does anyone think of a kendo armour chest plate, as i'm after the costume in different shades of black?

19. Scoundrel1100

Nov 28, 2004
    there was another board where people were talking about using kendo armor. i don't remember which one, but the mod directed everyone to this one. the verdict ended up being that the kendo armor was very expensive. i mean if you have the cash though and just want to then more power to ya. maybe you could talk to chrono; he's working on a revan suit too, but he's going all out on his. i bet he could tell you how to make a vacuum table and all that.

Scoundrel

20. DARTH_DONALD

DARTH_DONALD Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    thanks mate, i know the cost pf the whole thing is expensive, but i know this place in the uk that will sell the chest plate on its own, i'm just waitin on a reply from them as to how much they want for it. and i've also seen it on a certain auction place for £275 for the lot

21. Chronopoint

Nov 25, 2002
    Mold your own armor...cheapest and most accurate way to go.

I hope to have the armor fully painted this weekend. I will submit more pictures then.

http://www.geocities.com/chronopoint/newpics/revan.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/chronopoint/newpics/revan1.jpg

more to come soon.

22. Ziska_Ames

Ziska_Ames Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    Hey Bippal!

I believe I met you. I think this is you and me in a pic together. http://community.webshots.com/photo/331817681/331819356WCHsAY

I really liked your costume. It was the best version I saw that weekend.

23. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I think I finaly have all my supplies for the Visas costume, and I've started on the underskirt. MAN, I have a lot of fabric for that one. I'm going for the skirt appearance in the concept art more than in the game (if for no other reason than it's more believable that she could run around and fight in it), so we're looking at some major fullness. It's pretty fantabulous. :p

And I've got the headpiece dilemma worked out, and I'm going to take it to work with me to work on during my breaks. :) Should be interesting, to say the least...

24. Chronopoint

Nov 25, 2002
    I never posted my Revan armor on this thread once it was done a few months back...here are the results

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/tb9243/kotor41.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/tb9243/ShowLetter.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/tb9243/ShowLetterd.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/tb9243/ShowLetters.jpg

25. Xanthe_ShHarr

Xanthe_ShHarr Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2003
    I attempted a kotor jedi costume.. It came out great. But i needed to dye it alittle bit darker and that didnt come out so great. The color is just alittle too red for my taste

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.