main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Latest AC Update

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jay, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    Well, it?s been a long time since we've had an update, and there's been a bit that's happened. It?s going back to early July, and not really in any order, except for maybe the most recent and important stuff on top.

1. Titles for ACers discussion
    2. The Drama!
    3. Pop-up Menu
    4. Spam
    5. Mod Evaluations
    6. Discussions on games, forum banners, and forum color
    7. R. A. Salvatore
    8. PreacherBoy
    9. Thread cap
    10. Abuse of power?
    11. Communications forum changes

[ol][li][color=red]Titles for ACers discussion[/color][/li][hr]
    The subject of giving titles to AC members came up again. When we first talked about it, only mods had them, so it was decided that since the AC is made up of members, there is no need to give us titles. But, now, many people have titles, especially with the Big Brother game, so we're deciding if giving the AC titles will make it more noticeable that we are on the AC, so that members may contact us more readily.

[li][color=blue]The Drama![/color][/li][hr]
    I found out that the administration was thinking about making [b]PBra[/b] and admin before they released that information in the Mod Squad update. I asked about this, and a big discussion evolved on how much we, the AC, should know about what's going on in the Mod Squad. The mods pretty much said they tell us almost everything that happens that's worth mentioning, but then, just four days after the last post in that thread, the whole political/religious thing in signatures exploded, so we're working on a policy to make sure new policies are run by the AC before they're implemented.

There was much talking about the afore mentioned explosion in regards to the ban on political sigs. A lot of what was said was very similar to what was said in the thread that was started in Communications. [b]Vertical[/b] came up with the idea that the mods should lift the ban, pending more discussion.

[li][color=red]Pop-up Menu[/color][/li][hr]
    [b]Gandolf the Grey[/b] asked how we thought about pop-up forum menu -- if we thought it is fine the way it is, or should we alphabetize it. We thought alphabetizing it was a bad idea.

[li][color=blue]Spam[/color][/li][hr]
    [b]DDH[/b] asked us what we think about spam, if there's a way to define it. These are the guidelines he came up with: [blockquote]1. Posting the same message over and over, either in the same thread, different threads, or multiple forums.

2. Contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation that it is in, or posting outside the "spirit" of the thread in an attempt to derail other's fun.

3. Posting only to advertise your site or sell something.[/blockquote]
    There wasn't much we could add to this, so the topic didn't go very far.

[li][color=red]Mod Evaluations[/color][/li][hr]
    While we were getting info and reporting to [b]Dev Sibwarra[/b] on [b]Gandolf the Grey[/b]'s mod evaluation, [b]The Gatherer[/b] said he wanted us to evaluate him, but we told him to wait in line.

[li][color=blue]Discussions on games, forum banners, and forum color[/color][/li][hr]
    We talked about games discussion being allowed in YJCC, and although it would cause redundant mirror threads in two different forums, there's no real reason to get rid of game threads in YJCC.

There was a long discussion on custom banners for the games forum. After all was said and done, the basic opinion, was, "Go ahead, it's your forum, do what you think would be cool, but nothing too bad or ugly."

We talked about the color changes, but there wasn't a whole lot of serious discussion about that.

[li][color=red]R. A. Salvatore[/color][/li][hr]
    [b]Genghis12[/b] noticed the absence of Bob Salvatore, and asked about it. [b]Kadue[/b] gave us most of the story: [blockquote]He just decided that s

2. Mhirth

Mhirth Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2000
    Nice work Jay

3. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Boring. ;)

EDIT: jp-30 brought some discussion from the Mod Squad about changes to the Communications forum. One of the ideas was to make it not possible for members to post in there. This idea was quickly shot down, for without members being able to post, a communications forum wouldn't be much good. The best solution was just for the mods to "patrol" the comm. forum more, trying to keep drama from spilling out mostly by sending out PMs or editing if they must.

I'm starting to get annoyed that any time someone questions the rules or the way things are done, the Drama! label is immediately slapped on, quite often by the mods.

I thought that the term Drama! was something derisive used to point out to someone just how completely inconsequential their gripe was. Surely some of these threads in Communications are valid and don't deserve to be immediately and publicly classified as Drama! by the folks responsible for answering them.

4. Arwen_Evenstar

Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Thank you for the update. It is much appreciated :)

5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    That's really too bad about RA, about him leaving the boards and about him not writing anymore SW novels. Oh well, we can't win'm all.

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks for the update. :)

7. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Good update, but it's a little low on the drama scale. ;)

8. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    Excellent work, Thanks for the update.

9. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Titles....Whatever...I personally dont think they are necessary...a thread linked to in the forum title bar with ACer names is fine.

The Drama....I asked about this, and a big discussion evolved on how much we, the AC, should know about what's going on in the Mod Squad

Last I recall, from when I was in the AC, Vert told us that they would have no secrets....the AC could ask on anything, and they would be told. Dont tell me this policy is changing? That isnt the way to an effective AC.

Pop-up Menu....I like it how it is...its somewhat grouped with respect to Category...thats fine by me...it isnt that long anyway, so I dont see why it needs to be rearranged

Spam....Well, I am glad to see the AC is doing its utmost to try and help with policy in the JCC [face_plain]

Mod Evaluations....Really, I had my evaluation for Gandolf in during June...if you havent got them done yet, thats pretty damned slack.
    Hell, we are still waiting to hear about Liz's evaluation. Are you guys making them public or not?

Discussion on Games...Having threads in the JCC? Isnt that redundant? What do you do with SW threads in the JCC? You lock and redirect to the appropriate forum.
    Why is Games any different?

Salvatore...People have to learn respect...they might not like him (I personally havent read any of his work), but that doesnt give them the right to antagonise him. Whoever does this should be warned and then banned.

PreacherBoy...Meh, I dont see why he wouldnt be able to come back at some point...other members have had lengthy absences and returned.

Thread Cap....SotS has made it clear that he doesnt like the cap. If it was brought in for good reason, then why get rid of it?

Abuse of Power...a bit of joking around like that is fine...its good for members to see mods have a sense of humour.

Communications....No posting? Thats crazy...then comms becomes the Announcements forum. You cant repress the members rights to have their say.

Btw, it looks like there has been enough talked about to have had an update earlier than this.

10. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001
    Thanks for the update! :)

11. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Thread Cap....SotS has made it clear that he doesnt like the cap. If it was brought in for good reason, then why get rid of it?

That's just it, there wasn't a good reason.

12. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, thats subject to debate Herman.

13. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    The "reason" was because farraday said so. [face_plain]

14. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Jcers that don't read the rules, Jcers that could be classified as newbie often and banned users that post under asock and say "Why was I banned ???" post these threads and the mods are tired are answering the same questions over and over . . . No wonder they get frustrated.

15. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Great update, a bit anticlimactic, though. ;)

16. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    About damn time you kids work to earn your pay.

17. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Hmm. Where's the drAMa!!!11??/

Seriously, good job.

18. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    Mod Evaluations....Really, I had my evaluation for Gandolf in during June...if you havent got them done yet, thats pretty damned slack.
    Hell, we are still waiting to hear about Liz's evaluation. Are you guys making them public or not?

Yeah, I guess they should be made public, since that was the intent. I guess we'll have to work on putting those out quicker.

Btw, it looks like there has been enough talked about to have had an update earlier than this.

Yes, and it would be ideal to have them out on a regular basis, but remember, we are only human. We get lazy and forget stuff. We try, though. :)

19. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

thank you for the update Jay... :)

20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Thank you for the update.

I assume we will get another in 3 months?

[face_plain]

Please update a bit quicker, fellas.

PreacherBoy is a wonderufl guy who moderated this forum for a long time.

He should be allowed back. He isn't a troll. He just gets a little out of hand sometimes.

and will only create drama.

I liek teh drama.

21. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    On the issue of thread caps - there was no technical reason for it. Those error messages always pop up on threads in a period of about twenty minutes (as far as I can tell) sometime between 11 and 12 PM board time when you try to post, no matter what the size of the thread. Happens a lot in fan fiction, where some authors tend to post really late at night. The only legitimate reason I can think of for a thread cap is just to make it more user friendly, and that's pretty subjective.

Mel

22. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I wasn't talking about those error messages that happen around this time of night. I was talking about the glitch where the last page doesn't show up until you've posted an extra time or two. I was talking about the way the first pages of the AotC social line thread were gone by the time the movie rolled around. I was talking about how pages in longer threads take longer to load. I was talking about how it's easier to moderate a thread when it restarts occasionally(something very few other mods would realize since they refuse to enter such threads except to post). I was talking about how restarting helps the god damn thread by creating an influx of new members. I was talking about the fact no one had even bothered archiving those threads and if something did happen(as had happened before) they'd be gone along with all the precious god forsaken history they bitched about having to archive when I made them restart. I was talking about something that they should have been already doing occasionaly but refused to.

So yes I did try to make it a rule. And I got shot down truth be told. But by then the members already thought it was in place and followed it. Thankfully enough.

Of course, it's easy to ignore all that when the only interest you have is protecting the threads you like or posting with your friends and ignoring what happens around you, but don't say I made up an excuse because the JCC ran better.

23. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Ohhhhh, my apologies, farraday - the only explanation I'd ever seen was that blasted thread-not-upping-when-you-post business. But I've also seen the problem with the last page not showing up until you've posted a few more times with threads of fewer than a thousand replies. *shrugs* The small threads are more user-and-newbie-friendly, though.

Mel

24. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    farraday had good cause for that bit of policy, but it was railroaded out and has been burned at the stake.

By the way - when are we going to get a moderator who will fill farraday's shoes? I have yet to see another mod with the same tenacity for moderating the JCC and trying to better the place.

25. 1stPersonPlural

1stPersonPlural Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2001
    Maybe if we ask him, and/or threaten bodily harm to him, farraday would come back.

Or, maybe we could clone him.

Seriously, it would be nice to have a mod who would do what farraday was doing while he was the JCC mod. Clean it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.