main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LFCC 2008 : July 19th-20th EC2

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Lord-Tice, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    After the horror show that was last year's LFCC, this year's attempts can only be better. The event returns to Earls Court 2 (as appose to the balcony of EC1 which had lower light levels then a cave.... and worse flooring too) and will run on Saturday 19th July & Sunday 20th July, 2008, reverting back to its traditional Summer dates!!

The guest list is impressive, which can be seen on the official website.
    For more up-to-date info, you can also visit the Showmasters LFCC forum.

I hope to attend for at least one of the days, but once again it's too early for me to say due to work.

Fingers crossed that it will be a good show.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm getting 'not found' on the official site. Was it up when you linked to it?

3. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    ho-ho-ho,what a bleedin' disgrace that last one was...
    fingers crossed for better this time round,eh?

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I would like to go this year, but I will have difficulty getting time off. I will likely only be able to get one of the two days off, so I hope it's the same day everyone else goes :p

5. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    get a proper job,and you get your weekends free!
    it's great.

6. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I do apologise, I made an error with the official website's link. Here it is again:
    www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com

Sadly Jamie there are a lot of jobs that require weekend shifts, so I'm in the same boat as Richie :(

7. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    lol,yes...
    sorry.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Weekends is all I can do, I'm at Uni all week so that is the only other time I am available.

9. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    i know,i'm just kidding...

10. LadyPoison

LadyPoison Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2006
    Alas can't make it this year, i'm off on holiday to Devon that weekend! There's talk of us FF Southerners having a Wagamama meet up on 17th July in Salisbury though if anyone wants to come along :D

11. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Bugger. Im up north then. Can't believe I missed this one. Well, it will have to wait till next year :_|

12. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    And sadly (and annoyingly) I can't make it due to working on both days. I can't even swap shifts because we have to cover our sister site because.... they're going to LFCC.

13. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    ff-uk me,tice.
    chuck a sickie,or something...

14. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I can't pull a sickie in this line of work Jamie, there's just no cover plus I never pull sickies, or even have sick days :p

I would liked to have gone and given you some moral support for whatever you have planned for the show, but make sure you have a good time without me ;)

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I was unable to attend last year, but from what I heard about light quality I hope we are able to see this time :p

Also - If the event turns out to be bad, I believe that there is a Dr Who exhibition in Earls Court also, that might be worth looking at.

16. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    think i'm giving out free badges,or something...

www.britainisbroken.com

17. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    what a mixed bag.
    from the 'okay' guests,to the 'star names',right through to the bit part players,of which you could argue that this show was full of them... it was,on the whole another showmasters dissappointment.
    on the train back,we did wonder if jason and his crew can actually keep calling themselves 'showmasters' at all.
    seeing peter davison and his daughter together was quite nice,even if her status as being seen in one singular episode of doctor who actually warrants her level of attractiveness,but that's the eternal mystery of these shows,isn't it.
    like,take a trawl through the showmasters forums,where you'll find all the teenage posters exclaiming thier glee at 'meeting' such and such genre actors... i'm sorry but when 'meeting' is defined by a signed photo and a quick hello,if you're lucky...? nooo,not in my book.
    so apart from the actors and suchlike,what else was there?
    rows and rows and rows and rows of... yes,dealers selling the usual overpriced ***** you can buy online at a tenth of the asking price,ya-hoo!
    kudos go to apocalypse comics who had some nice bargain bins of comics,wish i'd bought more,but did get some real doozys.
    sfx had a wooden tardis,which went down well,although not as well as the cheap as chips partitioning that showmasters employed,lol... there were little post-it notes all over the partitioning boardings saying do not lean against or stick anything to,as they obviously were not very sturdy at all.
    did i mention the floor?
    lol,i wish i'd taken some comfy slippers,the floor was harsh and cold,what a shame showmaster won't fork out for carpet.
    can't think of anything else,
    there were huge areas empty,i'm sure showmasters will say they were for groups to congregate... or something.
    there were some tables put out,which was good to see... but no chairs!!!
    and the tables were all wooden and nasty,not laminated tops.
    like i said,compared to the london expo crew,jason and his team have a lot to live up to... if they are to continue to call themselves showmasters.

18. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002

and the helpers were miserable tools.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I liked it.
    I thought that there wasn't really very much to actually buy, certainly nothing that you can't find at any other event.

The guests were a great variety, and all very friendly I found. I didn't attend the Patrick Stewart talk today but from feedback I'm told he was very willing to let people photograph him and carried on with questions even when over-time.

I thought many of the costumes were great & varied. From Thundercats and X-Men to Transformers and Hellboy.
    Plus there was a new series Cyberman in what looked like proper official armour.

Back to the Future DeLorean was cool.

It was worth it more for the guests then the actual stuff.

20. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    let me get this right,
    some cosplayers and a car,and you think it was a great show...?
    i don't think so,ritchie...
    not by a flippin' long shot.

21. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed yet again Jamie (your text did put a smile on my face this morning though). There is a feedback thread on the LFCC 08 Forum at showmastersonline, but naturally you're only allowed to give positive criticisms, despite that being a contradiction in terms. But sadly I can well imagine what the show was like.

Was the Delorean made out of actual metal this time?? Or was it a nasty looking fibre glass & wood job like the Transformers Camaro last year?? That thing still gives me nightmares.

Was there any mention of the Empire day/Weekend event?? Or has that been brushed under the carpet and conveniently forgotten...... although that would ironically involve them having a carpet, which they clearly don't bother with.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It was a proper DeLorean, looked exactly like the one in the films (may have been the original model but I doubt it).

I was impressed by the Indiana Jones memorabilia from the movies. The Holy Grail looked even worse then it did in the film, but the Ark of the Covenant was cool.

23. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I went on the Sat afternoon and all day Sunday. I have tempered expectations for these sort of events within the UK... i.e don't expect great things. Just expect to see some cool stuff amongst the rest of the usual stalls and get some decent autographs.

I think some people build unrealistic expectations. If you want really good Comic Cons, make the effort and go to the US.

Anyway I found some good stuff in the stalls, got the signatures of David Anders, Christopher Lloyd (both of whom were excellent to meet - Anders really chatty, Lloyd really 'cool' - a thrill to meet him), Bill Oddie and Patrick Stewart. Admittedly Stewart's was rather blink-and-you-miss-it.

Anyway on the Sunday afternoon at about 3pm, if anyone saw the only decent Darth Vader walking about (correct height and accurate costume), that was my brother. I was acting as his minder! :p

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Do you have a pic of his costume?

25. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Hang on.

EDIT: Here we go. It was his first time out, and we think it went very well. He's exactly the right height.

The belt buckle was the wrong way around ( :mad: ), but that was my error in fitting it on the day.

http://www.bluealert.co.uk/images/photos/vader/LFCC6.jpg

http://www.bluealert.co.uk/images/photos/vader/LFCC2.jpg

YouTube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4eaYVSbCDo

Unfortunately by the time this video was made the shoulder bells had given up on us. We think we have that solved, now, though.

We also had Vader breathing from a speaker system in the costume. Worked very well.

Overall there are tweaks to be made, but we're please. The public seemed impressed by it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.