main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightside Jedi with doublebladed lightsabers, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Jedi_Xen, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    True - I think doublebladed sabers should only be in the hands of the best fighters and the most powerful masters of the Order. Example, in the NJO, I think Kyle Katarn would be somebody who might have the skill and mastery of the Force to wield a double saber.

2. ObiWan6986

ObiWan6986 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2002
    Hmmm...you say that Double-Bladed Lightsabers lead to effective killing. Well then why did Darth Maul only use one blade against Qui-Gon? It was only when he was facing two Jedi did he use his two blades.

3. ObiWan6986

Apr 1, 2002
    For some reason this posted four times.

4. ObiWan6986

Apr 1, 2002
    Triple post.

5. ObiWan6986

Apr 1, 2002
    Quadruple post.

6. JudroBathens

JudroBathens Jedi Master star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, here's my take on the issue. The weapon is a weapon; that's it. There's nothing inherently good or evil, right or wrong, about a weapon of any kind. It's all in the use to which a weapon is put.

That said, my feeling is that there's little a skilled Jedi could do with two blades that he couldn't do with one. Any perceived bonuses from the double saber could be offset by increasing one's ability with a standard saber. Taking up a double saber for the arguable combat benefits it provides, rather than taking the time and effort to become more skillful with a single blade, seems to me to smack of the dark side ("Quicker. Easier. More seductive."). It's an easy out--a crutch--and that doesn't seem like the Jedi way to me.

As a GM, I would certainly make the creation of a double-bladed saber more difficult than that of a standard saber. I wouldn't go handing out DSP's just for posessing such a weapon, though--I might give the player some hints, probably along the lines of what I said above. I wouldn't issue a DSP until the player does something to warrant it. I'll grant you, I'd be quicker on the trigger in this case than in other cases--for the most part, I think the kind of player who'd be interested in having a double saber would be the kind who'd play his Jedi character in a reckless, agressive, "I R=r0x0r" kinda way. But I'd make the character earn the point (which I suspect said player would likely do rather quickly).

At any rate--after Maul, the double-bladed saber *is* pretty old hat.

For what it's worth, I've got a player who's got a Jedi Weaponsmaster and he's talking about wanting to construct a pair of sabers which can, if he chooses, be locked together to form a double-bladed weapon. I mean to let him do so, but that's partly because his character is intended (by mutual agreement) to turn to the dark side in time, anyway; it's an important element of the campaign's planned story arc, and I have faith in the guy to play his part well.

7. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Actually the double bladed saber was old before Maul. Kun used one.

8. low_ki

low_ki Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2002
    actually it looks like GL wrote Kun out of the history, he won't be one of the lost 20 busts. neither is Ulic Qel-Droma.

Now I think using a double bladed lightsaber is the same as using 2 lightsabers. It doesn't mean that Jedi is acting evil or aggressive, they just chose a different fighting style, and one that could allow them to better defend others.

9. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    No, it could just mean they only started keeping track after the Sith bought it at Ruusan 1000 years prior to ANH (otherwise it'd be the lost 20,000+).

10. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Good point. The Jedi of the TOTJ era are very different in many ways form the Jedi of the movies. Lucas may write off Kun, but he has acknowledged that the comic was the inspiration for Maul's weapon.

11. low_ki

low_ki Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2002
    "No, it could just mean they only started keeping track after the Sith bought it at Ruusan 1000 years prior to ANH (otherwise it'd be the lost 20,000+)"

The Lost 20 are the ONLY JEDI to leave the order. GL changed the sith history in TPM novel and appears to be getting rid of Kun and Ulic in AotC since they won't be mentioned or have busts. Its not a big deal, he just changed his mind thats all.

12. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Well it could be they are keeping track of the only Jedi to leave the Order and take up civillian life. Defectors to the Sith might not count.

Lucas throwing out Tales of the Jedi is a MAJOR problem - unless you're a purist and the EU is meaningless.

13. low_ki

low_ki Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2002
    "Well it could be they are keeping track of the only Jedi to leave the Order and take up civillian life. Defectors to the Sith might not count" - Count Dooku is a memeber of the Lost 20 and he joined the Sith and turned evil.

"Lucas throwing out Tales of the Jedi is a MAJOR problem - unless you're a purist and the EU is meaningless" - Not really. GL gave the basic idea for the Sith History to comic writers, and now hes changing his mind thats all, same as with Obi-wan and owen being brothers. Its his story, his universe hes allowed too. In TPM novel is changed it so Kun, Ulic and Nadd weren't Sith, just Dark Jedi or something else (since the Sith have only been around 2000 years, not 4000 or more). Now hes turning Tales into myths (like he did with Boba Fetts past storys).

14. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Have you read the Essential Chronology? They do a pretty good job of meshing the TPM history and the TOJ stuff - basically after the Jedi crushed Exar Kun, it was another 2000 years before a rogue Jedi broke away from the Order with a Sith Holocron and rebuilt the Sith, which is where the TPM history picks up. The EC manages to incorporate the Battle of Ruusan into this by saying that one Sith Lord - Kaan - survived the fratricidal bloodbath in the Sith Order and tried to oppose the Jedi with his "Brotherhood of Darkness," which was completely destroyed and only Darth Bane escaped to form the "two-Sith" order of the prequels and movies. The Jedi Council would only be thinking of the more recent incarnation of the Sith Order because it is the last known appearance of the Sith, and they were all believed to have killed each other or committed suicide at Ruusan. TOJ has not been declared Infinities because it contradicts nothing of the TPM history. Same with Boba Fett's backstory. Ep III leaves off when he's fourteen. For all we know he went back to Concord Dawn (Jango's homeworld) and assumed the name Jaster Mereel for a time. And I can't even remember where it said Owen Lars and Obi-Wan were brothers, but that's a pretty minor detail next to derailing the entire TOJ series - check through the EU and see how much stuff is sitting on that. You'd blow out the entire Jedi Academy Trilogy along with a ton of other stuff.

mild AoTC spoilers

Dooku is not known to be a Sith by the Jedi in Ep. II. The Jedi Council speaks favorably of him and says he could not be responsible for the assassination attempts on Padme, calling him "idealistic but noble." Not something that would be said of a known Sith Lord. We don't even realize that he is a Sith until the very end.

end spoilers

15. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    The thing about Owen and Obi-Wan being bothers is in early drafts of the ROTJ script and in the novel.

16. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Then again, Luke was Blue Five in the ANH novelization.

17. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    True.
    I am not saying that Lucas should be held to it, just helping you remember where that idea came from.

18. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Thanks. I always wondered where that little tidbit came from.

19. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    I haven't posted here (ie: this board) for a while, and I was just skimming through this thread (which I find most interesting) and I noticed someone made mention to fighting styles.

I am wondering, is there an option for fighting styles in the game? Since th "reverse grip" style of fighting (think, holding the saber backwards) is considered a more aggressive style of fighting (Adi Gallia uses reverse grip in the Jedi Power Battles game on the Playstation, which is alos quite interesting).

I don't play the game yet (still at the getting my hands on the sourcebooks stage) but I would say that if fighting styles do come into play, a jedi using reverse grip is much more deserving of a DSP than a jedi using a double-bladed lightsaber. Of course, if the jedi using the double-bladed lightsaber does in fact fight more aggressively, then that would warrant a DSP in the same way that reverse grip would.

Just an interesting little aside. I hope I didn't ramble too much :)

20. Maj_Odo-Taji

Maj_Odo-Taji Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2001
    This is a "no-win" debate. Whether talking about double-blades or a reversed grip or whatever other style for that matter.

When my fellow players and the GM sit down at the table to play a session of Star Wars,we get into character. We stay in character until the session ends. Whatever we say is in-character. So when a Jedi or Force Sensitive starts to cackle when in combat striking his/her enemies down, they are taking joy in the destruction of a being. If they get angry, they are angry IC. It is as much about restraint of the player as it is restraint of the character.

Just my experiences, and the system works pretty well if you ask me.

Owner Of Two DSP's Thanks To A Dark Jedi,
    Maj-Odo Taji

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.