main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Nick: Any love for brandy?

Favorite ship names?

If you had one fan theory, connection, or retcon you could slip into canon, what would it be?

You mentioned reading a lot of non-fiction. Do you read much fiction and what are your tastes?

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The most important question:

You have a feeling that it's a trap. What will you do?

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Shelby Foote's Civil War if the definitive work on the topic. Three volumes long, immensely detailed, and the authority on the Civil War. I am also a big fan of Goodwin's Team of Rivals (which really does show the mastery of Lincoln's mind). Another great civil war read is James McPherson's War on the Water, which talks about the naval side of the Civil War, a side that is often overlooked.

Yes sir. Laird's Apple Brandy is quite good. Made by the oldest federally licensed distillery in the US.

I am a fan of the classics in Star Wars. Defiance. Independence. Liberty. I also love Silent Water and Reef Home. Alliance, Dauntless, Redemption- all the names I love are powerful and evoke what the Rebels are fighting for or what they represent. Ditto for Emancipator & Liberator.

Hmm. If I could retcon the true founding of the Alliance to Restore the Republic to this image, I would be a happy man. How I do it, I frankly have no idea. :p

[​IMG]

Honestly, outside of Star Wars, I do read very little fiction. I did get into Game of Thrones three years ago, so I have read all five books out to date. I have read a handful of Tom Clancy's military fiction, with Red Storm Rising being my all time fav.

I actually do use the phrase in real life. It is a running joke in my office when we overhear someone say something that sounds wrong/stupid to shout "IT'S A TRAP!" :D

--Adm. Nick

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    20whatever. Do you think it's weird that the next interview hasn't started yet?

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

I was going to start it when I woke up, but there were a bunch of unanswered questions.

Anywho It's now time for our third interviewee, noted Corran Horn and Peyton Manning enthusiast s65horsey!

s65horsey

1. Time for the username question! Why did you choose it? Has it always been your username, or did you go by a different one in the past?

2. When did you first fall in love with Corran Horn? How do you feel about his predilection for otters?

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Well, that escalated quickly.

7. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I cut right to the chase :p

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Back to Nick for a second...I read the Shelby Foote Civil War trilogy a few years ago and loved it. Gore Vidal's Lincoln novel was decent too, you've probably read that one if you're a Lincoln buff.

OK, back to Corran Horn and his interesting taste in women...er, I mean s65horsey's interview...

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    bah, there's no such thing as fruit brandy. It's a lie. Brandy is made from grapes, or it's not brandy. [face_not_talking]

TIE Fighter has some of the coolest names for Mon Cal cruisers out there -- I especially like the aquatic themed ones, although you're right that the Rebellion-themed names are also pretty iconic.

Easy, just photoshop a picture of Starkiller into it.... [face_trollface]

WHY DIDN'T YOU NAMEDROP MASTERS OF ROME?? :p

I've been known to use that phrase as well... especially at Disneyland. Imperials about to show up in Star Tours? IT'S A TRAP! Parade about to block passage through the park? IT'S A TRAP! About to fall down the water drop at Splash Mountain? IT'S A TRAP!

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    2. When did you first fall in love with Corran Horn? How do you feel about his predilection for otters?

Uh, what the hell kind of Q is this? Horn? Otters?

11. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [​IMG]

Perhaps this will refresh your memory.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ben, there is simply no excuse for anyone who's been here since 1999 to not understand that question. :p

Ulicus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    1. Time for the username question! Why did you choose it? Has it always been your username, or did you go by a different one in the past?
    As far as tfn is concerned this has always been my username. I first started chatting on the internet around 1998. Back then, the 15 year old me was into professional wrestling. Don't get me wrong, I had my geeky side and definitely devoured Star Wars books as they were released, but I didn't know anyone in real life who also read SW books so that was like my own little fandom. So anyways, a real life friend and I lived several hours apart and we would go into a wrestling chat room. We'd heard you should not use your real name so I started off as Lucy (close enough to my real first name of Lisa for me to remember it). It was "cool" back in the day to be part of chat groups so as I became more well known I added some things to the front of that and I think it ended up as ALdgenXLucy by the time I was done with that chat room. The AL stands for American Loser (an off hand comment Bret Hart made at the fans) dgenX is more well known and a group of wrestlers including my favorite Shawn Michaels.

From there I became a part of a group of fans for the new country group South 65. My username didn't go with the new group so I changed it to s65horsey. So s65 stands for South 65 (a long dead country group) but they had the name because it is the route that goes into Nashville which is a city that I love a lot. I've been riding horses since I was 6 years old and they are still a huge part of my life. I don't currently own one, but wherever I go I find people who have one and not enough time for it so I ride other people's horses. When I found the boards in 2006 I didn't see a need to change my username since horses are a part of me and so is South 65. A lot of people think the s65 is like a clone designation but alas I don't really like clones.

Its 1996. I am 13 years old. I've grown up reading as many horse books as I can find (Saddle Club, Thoroughbred, anything by Walter Farley) however the reading level is beneath me and I can finish the book in one sitting. So we're at the book store and my mom tells me that I should find something more 'adult' to read. I'm so not into the girly girl books that she's showing me and I wander off. I see X-wing Rogue Squadron and Wedge's Gamble on the shelf and I pick them up. I ask her if these will work and she looks skeptically at me, but agrees. 13 year old me take the book home and reads it, completely falling in love with the cocky fighter jock who has a heart of gold. I was never jealous of Mirax either, I wanted to be her, but I thought she was the prefect girl for Corran. Erisi, on the other hand, I would have happily shot down if I was able to.

13 year old me also didn't quite realize what that scene was talking about concerning Corran and the Selonian and all the implications of what the heck a furry was. I think I read differently that a lot of people on the boards. Its kind of hard to describe but basically I think I envision people and places on my own rather than how the author describes them. I think I feel like its more personal to me if I see things my own way than only the way the author describes them. Thus nothing that I've read in a book and then watched on screen has ever really been the same. Though I will say JK Rowling's stuff and mine were very similar on almost everything. So I didn't quite envision an otter, it was closer to human but with fur because obviously that was discussed in the scene. When I got here in 2006 and met Havac, Jello, etc. they quickly helped me realize the errors in my visions of the books by showcasing how Corran looked with a Selonian, aka an otter.

I, oddly enough, have a small obsession with otters. I don't know if subconsciously I liked them because of the whole Corran thing or if I just like cute ocean creatures (I have a bigger obsession with dolphins) but I've liked otters for a long time before these things were pointed out bluntly to me here. So I guess I don't mind his predilection for otters because I can't blame him. They're adorable creatures who are very interactive at zoos and aquariums.

Jedi Ben - I can't believe you've been here for this long and are now just asking this question. On the ign boards there was a banner dedicated to me and this very topic!

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Must have been one I missed! And what are those things supposed to be? Bothan?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Selonian.

edit: Corran had that Selonian date at the CorSec ball -- Chertyl Rulawoor or however it's spelled.

16. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    3. Where are you originally from? Where do you live now?

4. What do you do for a living? What have you worked as in the past?

17. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Admittedly, I thought it was a clone thing. Or alternatively, 65 = 65 years old.

*ducks and runs*:p

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not man enough to check: has anyone created anthropomorphic artwork featuring Corran Horn and Otterized versions of SW characters? Because that stuff is begging to be made.

19. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    !!!!!
    *scowls*

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

I'm not checking either, but I would be willing to bet money on it being there.

21. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    3. Where are you originally from? Where do you live now?I was born in Pennsylvania, but I don't remember living there. My family moved to Illinois from there and then hopped over the border into Wisconsin. I claim Wisconsin as where I'm from. I love and miss Wisconsin a lot. I have spent my 20's moving around the country (KY, TX, CO, CA, VA). Its kind of a running joke in my family about how often I move, though less so now with my brothers in the military since they're forced to move every couple years. I am currently living in Virginia. More on that in the next question.

4. What do you do for a living? What have you worked as in the past?
    Right now I am a nanny for my brother's kids. He is supporting me in exchange for taking care of the kiddos. A couple of years ago I had some issues, basically three medical problems that hit me at once but the doctors only found and treated one at a time so nothing got better until this past winter when the third was finally discovered. Probably tmi for some people, but the three all cause pretty severe depression. So I was in eastern Colorado at a job I loved, but completely miserable. I toughed it out for three years and tried to talk myself out of hating life when I loved my job so much. The doctor there discovered a thyroid problem and started treatment, but things didn't get better. At the end of the third year I told my parents something had to give and they suggested that I come live with them to see if we could figure it out as a family.

So I spent a year in California with them tutoring students and the doctor there discovered a Vitamin D deficiency. So I take massive amounts of Vitamin D now and things were starting to get better. I moved to Virginia to help my brother and his wife. When he got transferred out here (army) his wife lost some college credits so in order for her to finish it was better for me to be out here to help them. I adore my niece and nephew and I am cherishing the time I spend with them. It is also difficult for me to stay feeling down when I'm not alone and there is a giggling child wanting my attention. They've definitely helped me find a love of life again.

The doctor here thinks I have seasonal affective disorder. I'm slightly skeptical about this one, but there is a huge difference in my demeanor when the sun is out and when it isn't so even though the symptoms really fit how I feel in the winter I'm still skeptical about it and how to treat it. I'm thankful that my brother is willing to support me so I can continue to figure it out. I'm hopeful that this winter I'll have a handle on everything and not fall into the usual funk/crying issues that I have for the past 5 years. If I do it, then I think I'll be ready to move on. I have a Master's degree in Agricultural Economics so even in the bad economy there are jobs available I just need to have my confidence back.

tl.dr. version: Teacher Agriculture Economics (junior college level) -> math tutor -> nanny

22. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out for you [:D]

5. What are your thoughts on the cancellation of the original Legacy comics and the announcement of the new ones?

6. How would you rank the Star Wars films?

23. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    So all those years you were in the Lit chatroom giving wordly advice to boost the confidence of everyone else, you had your own set of serious crap you were dealing with?

Damn woman. Someone needs a hug. Or like, a major kudos.[:D]

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Sey is just too kind and thoughtful to let whatever her life gives her stop her from helping a friend.

Or stubborn.

Probably the latter.

25. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Hah! There was definitely a time or two where I told someone in there to **** off that I couldn't help them because of my own problems. It wasn't often, granted, but it did happen so maybe just kudos are in order and not major kudos. :p [:D]

Sinrebirth - definitely the latter. You know me too well.

5. What are your thoughts on the cancellation of the original Legacy comics and the announcement of the new ones?
    I was really mad about the cancellation of the Legacy comics. I won't even use the word original because they're the only Legacy comics to me. My comic book store slipped in the new ones on the last comic buy I had so they're sitting glaring at me on the desk. I glare at them when I go into my room but I haven't opened them yet. Maybe someone in here can say something that will make me decide to open them and give them a chance, but I'm still hurt from how the ending of the Legacy comic was treated. I think J&J did everything they could to give us closure on Cade's story, which was my favorite from the comics but the world they created was so much more than that. I never read comics until I found the boards and someone mentioned I should look up Legacy (it was just beginning around then I think), so it really was the first comic story I ever read.

I probably would have less of an issue if the time frame was longer. So 2 years ago Legacy was a sinking ship (even though it wasn't) and it wasn't worth investing in, but now that we don't have any other good ideas hey let's bring it back! wtf is what I thought when the announcement was made and wtf is what I still think. I'm a girl. I hold grudges. I'm pretty sure I said a lot of vulgar things off the boards and exchanged several messages with Jan on this topic. However, I make my voice known with my money. I scaled back on all the DH comics I was buying. Now I only do DotJ and was doing KE as well until that ended whereas before I was willing to try just about anything they were putting out. Why bother getting invested in something if they're not going to see it through?

I was absolutely fascinated by the medium, however, and have since gone off to other genres and stories that have books as well as comics. I think Charmed is the only one I regularly picked up, but several of the fantasy books I read released some TPB's of the same stories and I was intrigued enough to get them. Like I said previously I enjoy seeing how horribly off I am in my view of how things looks when I read vs how other people portray them. Other than Charmed, Laurell K Hamilton, Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher are a couple of the authors whose stories I've read in both book and comic.

6. How would you rank the Star Wars films?
    Cop out answer, I don't. They're all my babies. [face_love]

*sigh*

Fine. So I don't tend to agree with most people. I like RotJ and RotS about equally. I flip flop on which I like more and usually its whatever one I've seen most recently. Call me a sucker for a good ending, I guess, plus cute cuddly creatures beating the **** out of storm troopers and an epic battle on lava ending in the creation of Darth Vader, the birth of Luke and Leia. Can't beat that. Then ESB, ANH, TPM, ATC. For me the stories have always been about Luke and Leia and their era, moreso than Anakin's era. Though if Tim Lebbon continues to write in the DotJ era I may change my mind.

Jedi Ben likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.