main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London Film&Comic Con - July 1st & 2nd

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Lord-Tice, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    The Showmasters team will once again be hosting the annual London Film and Comic Con at Earl?s Court, and this time they have a HUGE Star Wars guest on the books. Carrie Fisher is due to make an appearance which is great news.

Here?s the website for further info:
    London film&comic con

Last year?s event was pretty good, and this one looks set to make a big impression. Maggie Grace from Lost too, ain?t half bad already and I?m sure there?s plenty more names to come :D

A great place for a meet too!! ;)

2. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Well, I'm considering coming to this one, but it will depend on whether I can crash with some friends down there. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

3. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2005
    Looking good. If they manage to book anyone from the Battlestar Galactica, I'm there.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm there too

5. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Deffo going to this one, Leia and Lost guests!

6. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I've just came back from the Collectormania G-Mex in Manchester, and had a great time!! :D

The Northern FF did a great job promoting the boards and their Fan Force. They managed to get a free table which was used as a homebase to hand out flyers and chat to people interested in the what the FF represents.

Their success has got me thinking.....would poeple be willing to donate time and money and do the same thing during the London Film & Comic Con?? I have to make a few phone calls and who knows, we may also be able to get the table for free, but people will need to spend a large chunk of time at the table during the show, helping to answer questions about the Fan Force to anyone who inquires and spread the good word. If you are interested, please state here and we can start some planning. The more people we have the much better it will be!!

7. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    We could have people in costumes for photos :D But the only way to get the photos is through the FFUK site.

8. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    If I can get time off work, I would be glad to help out. Great excuse to dress up too :) (I'll have to find my fishnets though ;) )

9. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Matt, I am seriously thinking of paying London a visit for this, so if I do come down I'll help with a table. I doubt you will get a freebie one tho, since ours was just luck, so FFUK: London will need to think about whether they can pool together to get one. You can add a contribution from me into the pot if so ;)

I am looking into making a costume (Echo Base Rebel), I doubt I'll be anywhere near getting it done at that point, but I definitely recommend that if you have FFUK:L costumers, use them. They make a hell of a difference at the table, and having them wandering with flyers too is a good idea. You will need to get the handing of flyers passed with the organisers btw.

I'll write a little report about the FFUK: North experience, get it approved by the higher-ups, then post it on the FFUK: North forums and post you a link here, it'll maybe help with organising your own.

Later,

Tim

ps, anyone recommend a good but non-too-expensive hotel around the area? Walking distance preferably.

10. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    We could also collect for a charity at the table as well, just a thought that may help us get a table.

11. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    I'd be up for dressing up too, I always like a bit of dressing up ;) . HOPEFULLY my scout trooper armour will be here by then but to be honest with you, I'm not holding out much in the way of hope.

12. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Your input and services would be most welcome Tim :)
    Let us know when you've written your review and post a link in this thread. I look forward to reading it and it will give others a good indication of what to expect.
    I have good contacts with Showmasters, so getting a free table is a strong possibility, more so given the nature of our stall.

Matt, Koren and Ell, thanks for your support thus far. The charity idea is a good one, but we have to be really careful with that kind of thing as everything we do may need to get approval from the show organisers first. I'd like to think I will have a costume ready in time but just ain't sure, but good luck with the trooper gear Koren. And a full-on Vader would be most impressive Matt :D

I feel I need to stress that we are a non-profit making organising too, so trying to raise funds via any kind of sales wont be a possibility, so we have to do this purely for the love of it ;) [face_love]

13. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    hmmm...tempting this is....[face_thinking]

14. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    I have an idea for a charity if there isn't one in mind. It's callled Furry Friends and it's run by a woman called Emma, she takes in ALL kinds of animals (ferrets too funnily enough). She isn't a registered charity though so I don't know if that would be a problem.

15. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Matt and the rest of FF-UK: London,
    This is the post-event thoughts thread on a FF-UK table at conventions - http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=23209924&brd=10739 ;)

16. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I imagine it would have to be registered charity, or else it looks a bit dodgy.
    I've got the prices for a table at the LFCC. A centre table will cost £105, a wall table will cost £165. A centre table will do us nicely, and should still have a backing wall anyways. Obviously the more people who go, the more the cost will be split and the cheaper it'll be. Not sure if I can get a freebie and the next time I'll be able to meet up with my Uncle and Mr.Joiner wont be until Collectormania 9, which may be too late, but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the report Tim. Very thorough and will give us some great ideas for what to do if we do get this table at the LFCC :D

17. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    If we're going you can stay round ours for free. :)

18. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    That is so kind :) :cool: Thank you so much!
    I think what I am planning at the mo (I'll book tonight when I can ask the boss if I can take two days off, lol, since the boss is my Dad :p ), is to stay at the same hotel chain I did in Manchester, Premier Travel Inn. I was happy with their rooms, breakfast was great (even for veggies), they cater for single people rooms, and I am already registered with them. So I'll come up on Friday, go home Monday.

This is the hotel -

http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/hotelInformation.do?Go.y=12&hotelId=24070&Go.x=16

From the maps, this looks extremely close to the Convention center, so will be a good option, and I just did a little checking around, the price seems fair compared with the local district, and I am not going abroad this year, so I can splash out a bit, it's my hols! :p

19. section33

section33 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    i went to this the last 2 years... loved it...

20. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    Latest:
    Richard Dreyfuss, Matt Hooper - Jaws; Roy Neary - Close Encounters of the Third Kind

[image=http://www.arnadal.no/film/images/closeenc.jpg]

21. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I am booked into a hotel about 5 mins walk from the convention center now, so just have to sort out train tickets (will do this weekend) and entry tickets.

:D

22. Ellbobin

Jan 30, 2004
    Peter Mayhew will also be attending,

and theres rumors of a certain Mr Hamill

23. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I have been getting asked about Mr Hamill, since I was at his first convention for a while (Empire Fan Fest in New Jersey, April 2004) lol.

I have booked hotel, train and tickets now, so I am all set aside from a little shopping excursion this weekend, may get some new clothes :p

How many people are going? Are there evening plans at all?
    OOOOooo quite excited about my first London trip in a few years, can I see the Queen? No? Ok, her daughter will do :p

24. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    her daughter...?
    anne or edward,the choice is all yours.

25. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Hehe, I mean't Queen (Padme), daughter (Leia - Carrie Fisher) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.