main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars lord of the rings costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by sithgoblin3, Dec 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BriaTharen

BriaTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    um i wouldn't get a full wig if i were you. i would get fake hair pieces, then attach them to your hair. hope that helps!

2. Padme_Anakin_Fan

Padme_Anakin_Fan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2003
    Wow! You guys have all done fabulous jobs on your costumes!

3. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    I don't think I've posted here yet (I do post at of the Valar and the lotr yahoogroup), but I thought I'd share my Refugee Dress anyway!

My Eowyn Dress

Katherine

4. Tiniwiel_Skywalker

Tiniwiel_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2002
    That is one very good dress!

I plan to do a costume based on a combo of Aragorn,Boromir and Faramir's costumes,should be interesting!

5. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    I saw the LotR exhibit at Te Papa yesterday so I've just written up notes and will be publishing them very soon:) I saw the Riding Costume of Arwen, the Requiem Dress and Galadriel's Mirror dress.

I didn't even begin to make notes on the armour as I just do not have the knowelege to do that:)

But it was pretty darn impressive all the metal and non metal work:)

Man.. so much to catch up on.. away for four days and it feels like 2 weeks!

6. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
  7. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Nifty! did you use the Alleycatscratch pattern?

My advice for the Fellowship cloak is to make the neck bigger than you think you need it. Alas, the neck on my bf's cloak is too small, but he's a good sport about it. When I have some spare time (ha!) I plan on fixing it.

Caitlin

8. Paradoxigirl

Paradoxigirl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    What a lovely cloak, Jedi_Riibu!!! You did an excellent job on it, it looks fantastic! Where did you get the brooch from? Did you buy it or make it yourself?

9. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Thanks for the comments! :)

I did use the AlleyCatScratch pattern. I definately recommend using it! I do think the neck can stand to be bigger, so I'll have to work with that.

The brooch is the official one from the Noble Collection. Here it is.

I'm also still debating with myself about buying the actual fabric used in the movie to make a final cloak. It's $80/yard (!), but this is the ONE item I would want from these movies. I would never wear any of the dresses, and even though I've contemplated it, I don't think a Hobbit costume is ever going to happen. But I LOVE these cloaks and they were also one of my favorite things while reading the books. It's something that I could wear over "normal" clothes and yet still be "in costume." $400 on fabric .. ack.

10. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    Time to start pinching those pennies!

11. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    There is this one picture
    http://www.warofthering.net/movies/photos/tttspeciallarge/imagepages/image176.shtml
    The sleeves how can I make them? There so long!

12. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
  13. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    The Alley cat website I know about it i have it bookmarked thats where I got the pic from but it was no help for me. Maybe I read it wrong.

14. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Join the LOTR Costume Mailing List. Look through the posts first (think better go back to around Oct 2002?) that had discussed about the Gown.

If you have any other questions or need certain explaination explained in lay-man terms, ask on the Mailing List and be specific (also indicate that you had look through the Costume Site first). I understand, a number of people had done this gown, with various levels of accuracy.

I been lurking there since last Sept and I had found almost all my questions concerning the Gowns/Armors I want to do answered, other than tips and jokes on other costumes and LOTR (remember Gollum's Pink Tutu? [face_laugh] ). :D

15. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    If your new ( like me) how long will it take for someone to watch you??

16. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    What do you mean? ?[face_plain]

17. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    You know how you can put people on your watched list.

18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Just click on the person's profile and click Add To Watched User List (it's just above the start of the person's profile list).

Each member can select who they want to watch and it's usually done for ease of PM (Private Messaging) or for me, mostly to keep tab on who are in my FanForce. You will also know how many people is "watching you" from your Profile List.

19. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    i have found for costumes like Arwen's requiem dress, that you really have to work without a pattern *screams in terror*. buy as much fabric as you think you will need, then find a friend who is the same size as you, and start drapeing. once you get the look you like, start sewing!

20. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Thank you. Now I have to find a friend the same size as me!

21. BriaTharen

Sep 29, 2002
    your welcome! :) And keep that friend in mind if you ever decide to do leia's slave outfit!

LOTR costume update- i just finished my mock up of Arwyn's chase dress. I'll be starting on the good stuff soon!

22. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Another thing I just thought of... at the Alley Cat site, check out the Elven Grove section of the scrapbook. One or two people have made the Requiem gown, and posted a little of how they made it.

23. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Do any guys come to this site? I haven't seen guys here before...

24. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    The LOTR one, or here? There are guys in both places. Just not as vocal as us girls are. :)

25. CranieAmidala

CranieAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2001
    *sneezes*
    Oops
    *resumes hiding in the corner*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.