main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Lord of the Rings Opening Day in theatres

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by synchroniz3r, Sep 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delta7_interceptor

delta7_interceptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    :: ouch :: that was mean, very mean DE.. :D
    nahh, don't think he is that sort of man.. If he falls in love, he falls in love forever.. :D

2. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    GO DE!! [face_laugh]

Yan Yan actually I don't remember that Elrond quote quite so well... :p

3. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    OK, I posted an article earlier on which said that Ian McKellen may be playing Professor Dumbledore in the HP movies, taking over from Richard Harris, but I guess I was mistaken, 'cos I just got this news in my e-mail today.....

MEET HARRY'S NEW DUMBLEDORE
    by Anderson Jones and Marcus Errico
    Dec 30, 2002, 1:45 PM PT

Harry Potter's getting a brand new headmaster--and his name isn't Ian McKellen.

Contrary to rampant tabloid reports over the past several days claiming the current Gandalf portrayer would pull double wizard duty as Hogwarts' Professor Albus Dumbledore, E! Online has learned that another acclaimed British thespian has in fact been tapped for the role vacated by the death of Richard Harris.

Michael Gambon, who picked up Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for his virtuoso performance as Lyndon Johnson in HBO's Path to War, will be donning the robes as Dumbledore for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, according to a source familiar with the production.

Following Harris' death from cancer in October, there had been much speculation over who would take over the role, with leading candidates supposedly including McKellen and even Harris' stand-in. But McKellen never seriously considered the role (he's already done the franchise thing with The Lord of the Rings and X-Men) and producers ultimately went with Gambon, a classically trained actor who studied with Laurence Olivier and whose credits include Gosford Park, The Insider and the lead in the British miniseries The Singing Detective.

Although the exact terms of Gambon's deal are not known, he'll presumably play Dumbledore in the remaining Potter films. Aside from Prisoner of Azkaban, Warner Bros. is committed to turning Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire into a film. J.K. Rowling's still-in-the-works Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and the two planned but untitled final installments are also likely destined for celluloid, but no timetable is in place.

With Warners closed for the holidays, no one was immediately available to comment on the casting.

Considering the millions of dollars at stake (the first Potter, Sorcerer's Stone, made more than $1 billion worldwide, and the current release, Chamber of Secrets, has made more than $240 million in North America alone), filmmakers had to act quickly on the casting choice.

Shooting is slated to begin on Prisoner of Azkaban in early 2003 for a proposed summer 2004 release. Alfonso Cuaron (Y Tu Mama Tambien) will direct, with Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint set to reprise their roles as Harry, Hermione and Ron.

Meanwhile, in related news, Potter mastermind Rowling ranked as the wealthiest woman in England, according a survey released by Britain's Mail on Sunday newspaper. With more than $77 million in income in 2002, Rowling out-earned the transplanted Madonna ($43 million) for the title.

4. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Considering Sorcerer's Stone didn't even make US$1 billion worldwide, I have trouble believing everything that is written in that article..

5. hazellukeyang

hazellukeyang Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    I've seen Lord of the Rings twice and wrote a review in Chinese. If any of you interested, please go here and read. hehe. :)

http://61.144.28.248:8080/bbs/bbs_armok01/bbs_content.jsp?bbsSerialNo=36793&bbsPageNo=1

6. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Hi hazellukeyang, it's been awhile since we've heard from you!
    You've been missed! :)

7. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    Hello there, I miss you too. was very busy last few months. you know lah, having a baby around is a totally different life. But so far so good, I even managed to watch Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. haha.

Please see my daughter Charmian's photo here:

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/sumei/

Happy new year!

8. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    [face_love] [face_love] Hazel, she's sooo beautiful!! [face_love] [face_love]
    Thanks for sharing those pics with us :)

...then again, I've kind of got a soft spot for kids, so what can I say?? :D

9. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hazel, she's so kawaiii (cute) and adorable!!! [face_love] [face_love] She'll make a beautiful woman when she grows up, just like her mommy. :)

Thanks for sharing the photos! :)

10. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Hey, Hazel, haven't heard from you in a long time. I have to say your daughter is a real beauty..very adorable! My wishes for a great life ahead of her. :)

11. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    Thank you, guys.

Yeah, the force is strong with this one. hehe.

I will definitely dress her in some Jedi costume in 2005. :)

12. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Hi Hazel, Charmian is very adorable! :) And looking forward to seeing a little Jedi in 2005! :D

13. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Oh wow, we can have our very first Jedi padawan youngling! :)

14. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    We'll watch her growing years with great interest . . . ;) :D

15. hazellukeyang

Aug 26, 2001
    ok, well keep updating her pictures at the website. I took hundreds pictures, only have no time to finish and update the site. :(

16. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
  17. delta7_interceptor

delta7_interceptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    rotflwtime :D

I can so imagine him in LOTR..

18. Faiz

Faiz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    oh dear god no, not jar jar! pls dun let lucas's bumbling taint LOTR! WE MUST PREVENT THIS! JEDIS WE MUST HOLD HOSTAGE THIS JAR JAR BINKS AND NOT LET HIM GO. this way ROTK and epi3 wont be tainted, and lucas would finally have to make a proper sw movie in epi3, wheeeeee

19. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    LOL! Jar Jar could be in a movie other than SW. :D It's called Fellowship Of The Binks, to be release in 2006 B.C. :p

20. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    OK, this is probably a HUGE coincidence, but alphabetically speaking, doesn't ROTK come after ROTJ???
    haha! :p

21. Faiz

Jun 1, 2002
    yeah i noticed that, and for it to be the 3rd movie like ROTJ, its impressive heh

22. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    LOL! :p Coincidence or . . . . ? :D

23. xeno_kenobi

xeno_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2002
    Hmm, familiar it is. Even the older more experince shows like RoTJ Is like J, K , wait a minute, JK makes Jedi Knight! :D

24. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    Yeah.....
    ...although in this case, JK would be 'Jedi King' ( Omigosh!!! :eek: )

25. Faiz

Jun 1, 2002
    ROTJK... think of aragorn as some prophecical king who will wield a sword of light, flame of the west, Anduril, a lightsaber... *nosebleeds*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.