main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Lord of the Rings Opening Day in theatres

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by synchroniz3r, Sep 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synchroniz3r

synchroniz3r Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2002
    alright its confirmed then.. LOTR HERE WE COME !!!!

DE pls organize a date when we can all look for material

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Okiday! :) But you all must say when can go cause exams is coming next month.(I'm not available this Sept 28th).

Anyhow, here's some patterns that we can use. Currently, I only got 9887.

Cloak/Robe
    Simplicity 9887
    [image=http://www.simplicity.com/assets/9887/9887.jpg]

[image=http://www.simplicity.com/assets/9887/9887fb.gif]

Arwen Gown
    Simplicity 9891
    [image=http://www.simplicity.com/assets/9891/9891.jpg]

3. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Frodo with a lightsaber?
    Well, looking at the size of his sword Sting, Frodo (and the other hobbits) would probably have to use Yoda's lightsaber - lol! :p

4. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    D'oh!

Forget the Hobbits average at about 3'6" which is about 1.2m? ?[face_plain]

So interested in joining us JediJean? :D

5. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Err, anyone can recommand a seamstress who can do my Arwen Costume with Materials provided for under SGD120? I'm not sure if I can trust my usual seamstress as the lower sleeves are quite unique although I'll provide the patterns. Anyhow, I donno where my seamstress had moved :p (ya, must give a call to her handphone tomorrow!).

6. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    DE, I don't mind joining you, but the only thing is that my schedule is so uncertain these days.

Are you guys gonna dress up?
    'Cos if you are, I have no idea of what I'm gonna wear - lol! :p

I like those patterns you put up of the Arwen gowns, but I'm not so sure that I'm cut out to be an elf, esp since they are so beautiful, tall and incredibly graceful!

As you can tell, I like the elves, but I'm not so sure that I can do them justice by being one of them... :)

I like the hobbits as well, and I could probably do them justice too... but I'm really not too keen on going around barefooted with faux fur stuck to my feet - lol! :p

OK, just a little question for everyone here...
    Who is your favourite LOTR character or characters??

** I know I have more than one favourite myself - haha! :p **

7. synchroniz3r

May 31, 2002
    Hmm DE one day we go chinatown find tailors? I need one too.

JediJean : Hehe my favourite in Fellowship of the rings was Boromir and da ringwraiths. Not to mention the shuai Elrond.

8. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Roger that! :)

As for seamstress, I'll keep an eye out for more too. I heard a seamstress at Far East Plaza did the costume for a cosplayer and another in Hougang too so we'll shop around to see who will do the best job and yet charge the lowest price. ;)

9. synchroniz3r

May 31, 2002
    YEA lets do that.. im suffering from a major recession here. Bah i hate times like this...

10. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Hey guyz i cannot make it.
    I can onli make it after 18th october.
    I'll be free after that.

11. synchroniz3r

May 31, 2002
    u only free after 18th oct?

Awwwww so sad.. *does Loser sign*

DE make it BEFORE 18th oct.. u me and sidious.. its gonna be so fun WITHOUT yazid.

12. Faiz

Faiz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    LOL, i wanna go as Aragorn but his hair is much too long, longer then Aoshi's so no chance of having that long a hair. and i wont noe where the hell to get his stuffs, like sword, scabbard, etc

13. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Faiz, for hair use wig, lor! You can rent it from No. 1 Costume Costume (hope they have the color you need!) or get one customed made at Chinatown.

Hmm, I'm thinking of organizing next Wednesday, to Arab Street & Bras Basah but I'll not spend a cent till I get some more money this Oct 13th. Other alternative is the 2nd last week of Oct (disadvantage: it should be my study week). Anyhow, I should be sending out both Arwen's Gown and my Cosplay Costume by Nov 1st cause once it strikes Nov 6th, it'll be Fasting Month and the likeliness of me getting my costumes back by early Dec is pretty slim. :(

14. Faiz

Jun 1, 2002
    gd idea, but alas i dun wanna spend anymore money... my aoshi cosplay might be the first and last costume i'm paying for and all... i'm too tempted by computer upgrades and etc. not to mention saving up for my kendo equipment....OH YAH WHICH REMINDS ME. I GOT THRU THE KENDO TRIALS I"M OFFICIALLY IN KENDO~! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

15. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Congrates on the Kendo! :)

Hmm, I got a mid-chest length and above shoulder Dark Brown Wigs but they all got bangs.

Hai . . . is below SGD100 too little to spent on getting all the fabrics for my Arwen's Gown (Velvet, Satin & laces), and SGD80-140 too small to spend on its tailoring? I posted at ASAP Board that my budget for this gown is below USD100 (SGD185) and all the 3 posters said I'll get nowhere. Personally, SGD80 is already too much to pay for tailoring according to my aunt but what to do, I'm getting a shop-based one, not someone who work from home like the Baju Kurung for my grandma which tailoring only cost SGD23. :(

16. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Congrats on getting into kendo, Faiz :) My dad wants me to take up akido if I can 'for self-defence'. I sort of hinted at kendo (lightsabre duelling :D) but his reply was that I wouldn't find a nice big stick conveniently lying around, LOL.

I'm borrowing the LOTR books from delta7_interceptor, so if I really like the LOTR books we might join you after all :D

17. Sidious_101

Sidious_101 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    Faiz congrats on ur kendo thingy.

As for LOTR. I'm still sourcing for saruman's outfit. U know tat i'm running low in my budget! So if anyone wanna donate to Hassan Charity wellfare for Jawas, Hobbits and Wookies pls do. I accept Cash and credit terms.

So Tat means I'm still in limbo on my costume. Kudos!

18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    You could do the Saruman Garb in various way IMHO while still cutting cost:

From Scratch
    1. Get someone to sew the whole thing for you cheaply; a relative maybe?
    2. Materials:
    -1.5m Ivory Flower/Vines Pattern Satin SGD7.50 (assuming it's $5/m or less) for the chest part.
    -??m Pale Cream/Beige cotton or satin for the rest of the inner robe.
    -5 mandarin collar button

All these sew into a loose fitted "Jubah" but with the correct Mandarin-Like collar.

Cost can range from $30-60.

-??m Ivory Flower/Vines Pattern Satin or Plain Ivory/Pale Cream/Beige satin for the outer robe. Can use the Simplicity 9887.
    -(Your Height)m of Cream/Beige cotton or satin for that tabbards coming down his shoulder.
    -Some 1 1/2" Width patterned silver/Beige ribbons for the trimming around the opening of the outer robe and sleeves (for sleeves, about 3"?).
    -Also 2" wide patterned ribbon to make into the belt.

Hair, I can lent my White Wig. ;) For the beard, glue on Loose White Hair extensions or white ribbons that got "released" from it's knits?

If assembling, you'll have to ask your mom or sis or female relatives wherther they got this White/Pale Beige Color Patterned Chinese/Vietnam-like Robe (it's quite trendy the last few years). Just add a few more metres underneath the outer dress in form of very loose sarong/skirt to get the overflowing robe look.

Or a White Chinese Male's traditional suit but make sure it's NOT made from Silk (you can't wear Silk, remember?)

For the outer robe, you could look around if someone also got a satin bathroom of similar design to the original or have one made from scratch.

Think if doing from scratch, might touch that $100 mark. :\

19. delta7_interceptor

delta7_interceptor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2002
    Clare, lucky for you i am revising for mock history test tomorrow :_| so I decided to stray a little and come online and i read your post. Or else you won't be getting the books molo... haha

I am kinda entertaining the idea of going as an elf (namely legolas :D ) But i have no idea how impossible it may be, depends on capital and time i guess...

20. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Okay I must start reading the novels too soon. :p

And I realized I can't cut my hair this year as I need it for Arwen.

21. Faiz

Jun 1, 2002
  22. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    But so far none of us have done our costume. :_| I think I'll only send mine by mid-late next month and get back in early Dec.

23. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Faiz, I saw this being posted at the LOTR Costuming ML for Aragorn costume:

His Strider Outfit
    The under layers are pretty easy. Find some tight pants. Oh, OK...dark sweats will work. If you have a black (FOTR) or red (TTT) ren-fair shirt you're half way there. If not, you may be able to covert a regular shirt by cutting off the top of the collar to get rid of the pointy fold over part. So the top the collar is now a raw edge... he's a ranger. It's ratty.

He's got two outer layers that are both leather. I'm going to guess you're not into a lot of sewing... so just do his sleeveless jerkin.

Hunt the thirst stores for an old motorcycle jacket or a leather coat, longer is better. Dark brown is best, but black will work.. It doesn't have to fit you. It can be ratty. Cut out the zipper, the collar, the
    sleeves. Slit it up the back to the waist.. The edges of the jerkin are bound... you can either get double fold seam binding at the fabric store or hack away at the leather bits you cut off to make strips about 1 inch wide that you can fold over and sew down on the edges.. Add ties to the front of the jerkin. You can make these out of the leather strips you cut away or get bits of braided cord.

Duster is a bit more complex because you need sleeves and stuff... If you want to do the outer layer, I suggest you check out our partner section and look in the main character section for more details

Accessories:
    Da glove: It's the Michael Jackson look. You need one black glove, fingers missing. That should be easy to get from a thrift store. You can always cut the figures off yourself.

Boots: If you've got pirate or cavalier boots, those are the best. Tie a bit of cord around the tops. If not, any kind of boots will work.

Vambraces: Those are the leather things a lot of the guys wear on their lower arms. Here's a quick pattern:
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/4200/lvamb.html . You can shape them a bit and draw a white tree on them.

24. Faiz

Jun 1, 2002
    um....sorry but i have no exp in tailoring or cloth editing, etc. watever u told me, i dunno i can do or not. i wanna ask ppl help me but that'll cost $$. =(

25. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I propose a Fabric Window Shopping at Arab Street (and maybe Chinatown?) on this Wednesday afternoon, around 2pm. So how? Anyone interested?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.