main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Look! An Orc!

2. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    No prob's JP - the Elf took care of it. :) I was wondering why the sword was glowing. Phew! That was close!!!

3. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    18 hours ahead of the east coast ? ugh!
    LOL
    Well, at least I know now.......... ;)

I think I will break down and get the less expensive set.Im such a collector at heart....how can I say no....???

*whew* it was a good thing we had an elf in here to take care of that orc!

4. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Well unless you live in a whole (maybe like Hamilton) you have to have heard that LOTR cleaned up the Oscars :)

11 from 11 to equal the record is just waesome after being robbed the last two years. If you watched it NZ was mentioned a bout a million times so we rule.

However Keisha lost out to Charlize Theron...who I must say was looking extremely fine [face_love]

5. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Personally I didn't care if LOTR won or not, but it is credit to PJ and everyone envolved, finally. 11/11 isn't too shabby.

//no tv and so didn't see lovely ladies.//

6. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Best thing about the eve was LOTR taking best picture. First time for Sci-fi Fantasy to do that! Whoooot!

7. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Well unless you live in a whole (maybe like Hamilton)

And what exactly do you mean by this statement? And what do you have against Hamilton? :( ?

8. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I'm sure he meant "HOLE" in that is has nothing there.

lol

(I'm pretty sure solo thought of a place that's fairly average and thought no one here was from, or he just wanted single out the crappy town of Hamilton :p)

9. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Yeah well Hamilton is pretty crappy...... I'm moving to Auckland Or Wellington as soon as I've finished school!

10. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    I quite like Hamilton. It's a city in "fun size".

(But seeing as I live in Auckland, I seldom have need to travel to Auckland Jr.)

Still, there's a few good cafes etc. there. No complaints ...

11. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Hamilton is a nice place ... nice zoo, nice city gardens. I bet it doesn't take an hour and a half in rush hour to drive from the suburbs to the cbd in Hamiton ;)

12. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Wow, didn't mean to start a war with such an innocent comment :p

But I pretty much meant what I said. I was there for a while over summer and it didn't stop raining so I pretty much stayed inside the whole time, which was more fun than when I was actually out and about. I don't know what it is...it just doesn't do anything for me...please don't be offended by one jackass' opinion :) Don't take me seriously, I don't!!

13. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    You must have a pretty fun live constantly not being serious. :p

I was suppose to move to Blenhiem at the end of 4th form. Now *THAT* is a hole. (except the hunting and fishing possibilties). But wellington takes the cake, and I mean all of it. That hole swallows the entire cake in one go!

Wellington SUCKS. With a capital... (hehehe get it?)

14. damolay

damolay Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    Hello all. Its been a long long time since I last posted, & I'm not even posting on SW stuff!

K, I have a question that needs answering and I thought this the best place to come to get it.

Its about the Uruk Hai. Been looking at this quite a lot at Uni lately, and certain theories have developed around them. How exactly are they born. I mean, I can understand some people have said that orcs were originally elves, tortured by Sauron. However, we get no sense, at least in the diegetic world of Peter Jackson, that the Uruk-hai are tortured. They are instead autochthenous, the fact that they emerged from, or have been moulded out of the earth, giving them some intricate relationship with the land.

If soemoen can clue me in on how they are actually created, then that'd solve lots of sleepless nights to come.

I refuse to believe that Saruman just waves his staff at a frog in a puddle of mud & a week later Lurtz is born.

Hope everyone's all good. Damned exams at the mo!!

-Damo

15. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    Saruman did some genetic manipulation to create his Uruk-hai. As far as I remember he crossed Orcs with Goblin-men????

-Mel

16. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Damolay, did you take FTV 300: NZ film, by any chance?

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The book I think is quite different to the movie. You don't see their creation in the book iirc, though no doubt in some of the other tolkien stories their origin is explored.

Arda's a good resource for all things tolkein;

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm?http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/o/orcs.html

18. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, as far as the book LOTR goes. Elves back in the day were tortured by the first dark lord and they became the orcs.

Saruman crossed goblinmen (similar to orcs) with orcs. They were different to orcs in that they can travel under the sun and cover vast distances in short time without becomming tried. In the movie it's only talked about by Gandalf telling Aragorn and the "Saruman talking to Lurtz" part is just for n00bs to LOTR for a slight background.'

btw: went to Mount Sunday today to check it out with the g/f. Nice. Got a few pics. No role playing though.

Mt Sunday = Edoras in TTT and RotK for those who don't know.

19. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    anyone attending RingCon 2004 this year?

the last two years there have been quite a few New Zealanders there.

-Mel

20. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    oh come on people this event is really great!

just ask your own Craig Parker and Mark Ferguson. These guys rock! :D

-Mel

21. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    I'd be there if I could afford it...

mind you theres alot of places id be if i could afford it. :D

22. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    example?????

-Mel

P.S. don't you just dream of being a millioanire?!?!?! :D

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Yo, SFL;

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/entertainmentstorydisplay.cfm?storyID=3595338

Extended 'Return of the King' DVD to feature new footage, cameo appearance

The DVD release of director Peter Jackson's extended version of the Academy Award-winning "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" will feature 50 additional minutes of new footage, a new musical score and a cameo appearance of Jackson being felled by an arrant arrow.

The 200-minute theatrical version of "King" has sold more than 10 million combined DVD and VHS units since its May 25 release, according to several industry sources.

The extended-version home-video releases of the first two films in the "Rings" trilogy, "Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers," have sold about 5 million combined DVD and VHS units each, generating high sales expectations for the release.

"With even more added footage than the special extended editions of 'The Fellowship of the Ring' and 'The Two Towers,' this new version of 'The Return of the King' is truly a landmark cinematic experience," New Line Home Entertainment president and chief operating officer Stephen Einhorn said.

NLHE's "King" extended four-disc DVD and double-cassette VHS will feature 300 additional special effects shots and scenes among the 50 additional minutes of never-before-seen footage, giving the new extended version a 250-minute running time.

The limited collector's edition DVD of the "King" extended version includes a fifth disc that contains a 52-minute feature, "Howard Shore: Creating the Lord of the Rings Symphony - A Composer's Journey Through Middle-Earth." The bonus feature includes excerpts of live concert footage of the Lord of the Rings Symphony recorded with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra. There's also a hand-painted polystone sculpture of Minas Tirith and its accompanying keepsake box.

All DVD and VHS extended versions of "King" will be featured in a widescreen format with Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound, DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound and stereo surround sound.

The extended-version DVD also offers four audio commentaries. One is from Jackson, while the other three include members of the cast and the production crew - among them actors Elijah Wood, Sean Astin and Orlando Bloom and Academy Award winners Richard Taylor (makeup), Howard Shore (music) and Randy Cook (visual effects).

* The extended-version of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is due in NZ stores on December 7.

24. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Thanks for that. My mate mentioned an extra 50mins and a PJ cameo. Minis Tirith will be a cool statue!

Yea, I was wondering about the release date cause I did some looking on lordoftherings.net a few weeks back and no mention about "King Ex Ed". December 7. Sweet.

Peter can already be seen in the Theatrical Edition as the captian of the Black Ships. But to have him later in it getting killed will be cool too. :) (not cause he dies...)

25. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    you can check out the full details of the SEE over tah the official site! ;)

-Mel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.