main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lots of news on SciFi.com

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by DarkLordSid, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    1. Fox studios is pulling it's panels and promo films from Comic Con, claiming that the featured films are not ready for promotion. That's going to leave a hole in the schedule for the MAIN HALL, DOH.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=42449

2. Apparently Harry Potter VII was released by one retailer early and hot copies and images are flooding the internet. Rowling asks to keep yer head down and wait for Saturday. Double DOH.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=42495

And in a related story, a UK retailer backed down from pricing the book at $36.00 US against accusations of profiteering.

3. WB lost the files for Babylon 5 computer generated graphics, so for the new DVD it had to be reconstructed from fan sites. Triple DOH!! Good thing it wasn't Paramount...

B5: Lost Tales Boasts Updated F/X

J. Michael Straczynski, creator of the upcoming DVD movie Babylon 5: The Lost Tales, told SCI FI Wire that he has benefited from advances in visual-effects technology since 1998, the year that saw the end of the Babylon 5 TV show on which the movie is based.

In The Lost Tales, Sheridan (Bruce Boxleitner), president of the Interstellar Alliance, heads to an all-important meeting aboard Babylon 5, led by Cmdr. Lochley (Tracy Scoggins).

In the new film, computer animators rendered the visual effects at a higher resolution than was possible even for the final effects on the TV series, Straczynski said in an interview. "One of the effects we could never do with B5 was get too close to either the ships or to B5, because a polygon simply couldn't handle the load," he said. "But on this DVD, we really had some pane-scrapers [shots that got close to ships]. We get right in there. And the degree of resolution of detail is terrific."

When Babylon 5 finished production in 1998, all of the show's assets?wardrobe, props, computer-generated models, texture mattes, etc.?were turned over to Warner Brothers, and the disks containing the computer-graphic information were lost. That forced the new F/X team to start from scratch. And they turned to fans for help.

"The guys in the effects department said, 'My God, how can we get this thing done in time when we have to build everything from the scratch?'" Straczynski said. "I pointed out that a lot of fans out there over the years built their own models of our ships and the station and everything else. So they went out to all these different sites to find high-resolution models and wireframes and texture mattes and so on that they could then take and start building from. So it kind of closed the loop in the sense that Babylon 5 created these images and gave them to the fans, and now the fans have given them back to us. It's a nice bit of symmetry." Babylon 5: The Lost Tales arrives in stores on July 31. ?Ian Spelling

Also news on the remakes of Logan's Run, Bionic Woman, and The Flash, Cloverfield denials, etc.

2. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    GODS!!! What a fiasco...maybe its gonna work out afterall that ...we are now back to NOT being able to attend ComicCon (They got backlogged at the flooring place, and it's either finish up that week, or wait almost another month. *head bang emote* and after over a year (ok a year last April)..we just want it finished!...

But at least seeing all the scrambling and stuff happening.. I think if we have to miss one, this will be the one to miss.

HOWEVER, in addition to the HP story leak, according to GMA this morning, apparently the New York Times did a review (either yesterday or today..that I wasn't sure of) and leaked the entire thing ..AND the publisher is livid. (So was Diane, Robin, and the rest of the GMA cast).

Lets see if I can get through this weekend WITHOUT a spoiler (even though I don't pick up my copy until Monday).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.