main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Says Indy 5 a Possibility?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29 , May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Just found this article over at Fox News:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356282,00.html#2

George Lucas tells me it?s more than a strong possibility there will be a fifth "Indiana Jones." He says that he and director Steven Spielberg have left the door open for a sequel to "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Lucas, looking dandy with slicked-back gray and white hair in a snappy tuxedo, was a guest Thursday night at Paramount/DreamWorks?s party for "Kung Fu Panda" at the 61st Cannes Film Festival.

The swell event was set up on the pier across from the Carlton Hotel, where the studio spared no expense recreating sets and treating guests to haute Chinese cuisine. There was even one of the 40 pandas from the publicity stunt the day before, dancing in the crowd to Carl Carlton?s old hit "Kung Fu Fighting."

Lucas had a lot to say about the new "Indy" and its future.

"I haven?t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.

"And it?s not like Harrison is even old. I mean, he?s 65 and he did everything in this movie. The old chemistry is there, and it?s not like he?s an old man. He?s incredibly agile; he looks even better than he did 20 years ago, if you ask me."

Lucas says he?s not concerned about early mixed buzz on "Crystal Skull."

"This movie is the exact same experience as the other three were. The difference is, the novelty of discovery is gone. I get worried when I hear fans say they?re expecting something different that will change their lives. This is 'Indiana Jones' just as you remember him."

But that?s exactly the gamble Spielberg and Lucas took with reviving their icon. Expectation grows into a frenzy and then no one in that frame of mind can be satisfied.

You already can see this with "Sex and the City: The Movie" and it hasn't even opened everywhere. Fans and even some critics want some transcendent experience. They almost seem upset that all they got was ? "Sex and the City."

Lucas has been here before, when he revived and extended the "Star Wars" series. The build-up to the release of the fourth installment (aka now Chapter 1), "Phantom Menace," was huge until it reached a fever pitch. Then, almost before it could be absorbed, "Phantom Menace" became the target of scorn from fanatics. Computer-generated character Jar Jar Binks was public enemy No. 1.

But "Star Wars" continues to thrive. In August, Lucas says, he?s releasing an animated 90-minute "Star Wars" movie to theaters via Warner Bros. called "Clone Wars." It will be followed in September by an animated series on the Cartoon Network and TNT.

"No one wanted it," he told me. "Every studio rejected it, including Fox, and I?m very loyal to them. They have right of first refusal. Eventually I brought it to Warners. It?s the first time that three components of the studio have acted together. It?s very exciting.

"But the story is that everyone said, 'No one gets this. It?s just ? 'Star Wars.'' I said, 'That?s right, It?s just 'Star Wars.' Just like this is ? 'Indiana Jones.''"

Oh, yes, and by the way: If "Crystal Skull" breaks records when it opens on May 22, Lucas could wind up having his name on a fourth title in the all-time box office top 10 (it would be Spielberg?s second).

"But these movies ? the 'Indiana Jones' ones ? were never big hits right away. They were always slow starters that built up to big numbers," Lucas insisted.

I don?t think that will be the case with this one. And the notion that a sequel already is playing around in his head should only fuel the heady numbers about to be posted.

2. PeteTB

PeteTB Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2002
    Well, there is no big shock that "Mutt" is Indy's kid or some off shoot there of. If they do a 5th film it would be interesting to know what ideas would be planned. Ford said he'd like to do an Indy set in the 60s.

Since Lucas knows what can happen with massive build up/let down, Episode I. He must be taking all of that into consideration. Plus these films are not only under his control . . . THANK GOD!!!

3. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Just saw this a couple of moments ago...That's interesting. Shia is quite the lucky guy, I would say.

4. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I feel like I'm against this, and I'm not sure why. It's not like LeBoeuf would be raping my childhood or anything. I guess it just remains to be seen whether KotCS deserves a sequel, and whether Shia can fill Ford's oversized shoes.

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Lets see the fourth installment of the series before considering the fifth. I'll be open-minded and at least partially objective for now. On principle, it sounds like a horrible idea to have a "Indiana Jones and the ____" which features Shia as the protagonist. Then again, I have mixed feelings on "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" already.

-Seldon

6. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I am totally for this. In fact, in my wild fantastic imagination that I have, I've always thought there should be an Indy 5 which takes us back to China and brings back short round and ellie scott and mutt (for reasons explained later), and reintroduces Lao Che as the surprise guest villain halfway through the film, kinda like what they did for donovan in last crusade. I felt they really left a lot open with Lao Che in Temple of Doom, and a China story would send us to a new locale we haven't spent a lot of time in. That said, I also have a wild vision for Indy 6 that would be the ultimate ending, bringing back Sallah, Mutt, and in my version of the story, even Captain Katenga who takes Indy on a dangerous journey by sea to the north pole in search of a long lost relic. The idea with this film is that it's Indy's last fling, so the love interest in this one would be for Mutt, and Indiana Jones would die trying to save his son, but then at the end reveal that Indiana Jones didn't die but comes out to save the day at the last possible moment in the most badass scene imaginable. Then at the end of the film, we'd get the Hollywood ending we've always wanted. Indy takes his hat off, puts it on his son's head, and our four adventurers (Indy, Mutt, Sallah, and the new love interest for Mutt) ride off into the sunset on horseback.

If I had the time, I'd write my ideas out as a screenplay, but it would kind of be a waste of time as it would never get made.

7. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    "I haven?t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.

Um, am I the only one who is reading this as a possibility there may yet be a secret sean connery cameo in this film?

8. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    If we are to go down the wild and dangerous road of speculation that Typho has begun--then I'll throw my two cents in. Lets indulge in the hypothetical that "Crystal Skull" is merely the beginning of an unannounced second trilogy. However unlikely and improbable this is--for the sake, lets just agree to this. Harrison, Steven, and George have all agreed that it would be a worthwhile investment of time, creativity, and money.

A lot would be dependent on the outcomes of "Crystal Skull" but it would be really interesting to bring back lesser known characters like Captain Katanga and Lao Che. That could be a promising route to take. The only danger there--is things become too coincidental (as they arguably became in the SW prequels.) If a new trilogy is being engineered, it would be stronger if new characters were developed. I approve of bringing Marion Ravenwood back--and wouldn't object to Sallah's return, but it could be problematic to bring back the lesser knowns for the sake of fanboys.

Specifically, the SW prequel example points this problem out. The fact that a bit player like Boba Fett became such a pivotal and crucial part of the second trilogy borders on absurdity. Putting cameoes for characters like Chewie, Jabba, Tarkin, and a dozen others just became contrived (in my opinion the only returning characters should have been Obi-Wan, Anakin, Palpatine, Yoda, and the droids.) But I digress...

I'm assuming that there could be a lot of potential in additional films. After all, why return after 20 odd years and only make one more film? Why not develop a whole new story-line.

While many fans would be craving for more--my initial feeling is that they should have never made the fourth film. As Typho points out the classic ending was the hero ride into the sunset. For Star Wars, George wanted to tell the backstory. I'm confused on the thematic motivation to making a new Indy film. I'd rather see George work on new projects.

-Seldon

[Edit] Addressing the Sean Connery role: George was merely talking about the father-son dynamics in "Last Crusade." He isn't referring to the current film.

9. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    In my scripts I wouldn't be bringing them back just for the WOW look whose back factor. Both Lao Che and Captain Katenga would have valid roles in the film and would serve a purpose other than just "being there" the way Jabba was in TPM, and in my opinion c3po was done this way in the prequels as well. He didn'r really have a purpose. No, your right, these guys if they are written back in need to have valid plot significance.

10. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    The only thing I'd caution on that is--regardless of whether the role has plot significance or not, it will still be far too coincidental for characters that were minor in one trilogy to have major roles in the other. For the purpose of fanfiction--I suppose it makes sense to bring them back into the fold. If those movies were actually done, I'd rather see the introduction of new characters.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    That's exactly the way I read it too.

12. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    "I haven?t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out."

If they do this, they'll have to change the name of the series. And I'm not too excited about "The Adventures of Mutt Johnson" or whatever his last name is. It just sounds ridiculous.

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Oh no, not anither pointless Indy movie to distract Lucas from doing his creative, personal, art-house films!:rolleyes:

14. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    COMING SUMMER 2010

MUTT WILLIAMS AND THE QUEST FOR A NEW FRANCHISE

15. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    i never did, still don't understand why they don't cast another person to play Indiana Jones if they want to make more films.

It works for James Bond and i think it could work here.

I'd rather see someone else with the whip and fedora than see an 85 year old action hero, and i have no interest at all in a "second generation" of this story.

16. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003

Really, cause I'd rather see an 85 year old action hero...

17. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    I've always thought they screwed up by putting "Indiana Jones and" in since the second movie, heck they retconed it onto Raiders.

they should have just stuck with titles, that would make such a transition easier, but i doubt i'd watch it for the reasons you said.

18. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Speculation on a post-KOTCS film and the Indy 'expanded universe'...

1. Indiana Jones Chronicles (TV series)

The early days of title character.

2. IJ And The Temple Of Doom

3. IJ And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark

4. IJ And The Last Crusade

5. Indiana Jones Animated Adventures (think Cartoon Network's Clone War micro-series)

Speculative TV series in the tradition of Clone Wars, but with Indy during the 1940s. Adventures might involve Indy's activities during WWII. Such as serving in the military.

6. IJ And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

7. The Legacy Of Indiana Jones (fifth film)

As the speculative title suggests Indy's influence continues in the form of the father sending out the son on missions. Indy now serves as the wise old man. He is like Marcus Brody and Henry Sr. combined, but with more charm and bravado. Mutt Williams is the rising hero with a style based on the 1950s/1960s. Think of Mutt as a kind of forerunner to the counterculture icon Billy Jack - only with a sword and cycle - carrying on the Jones family tradition of adventure.

19. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I've been kicking around an idea if they make an Indy 5.

Indiana Jones Meets James Bond

We all know that Lucas and Spielberg draw from their inspiration from old movies and and time periods. The first three Indy movies reflect their love for the old Republic serials and the time period of the 1930s and 1940s when they were made. KotCS takes a page from the B movies of the 1950s which were presenting alien invasions as a allegory for the Red Scare and the Cold War. KotCS takes place in 1957 and if Indy 5 arrives three years later and Lucas and Spielberg stick to the movie-verse timeline correlating with the real life timeline then Indy 5 would be set in 1960.

Following the precedent that the year the film takes place in helps sets the tone for the story then I can easily see a 1960s set Indy movie being an homage to James Bond and 1960s spy movies. Spielberg is a huge Bond fan and his desire to direct a Bond movie led Lucas to reveal his "Indiana Smith" concept to him. Bond is also a spiritual father to the Indy franchise which is why Sean Connery was cast to play Indy's dad.

Wouldn't it be great to see Indy get mixed up with a James Bond type spy in a story that combines treasure hunting and 60s style espionage? Cast Daniel Craig/Pierce Brosnan as the spy and you're good to go.

20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Gobi-1
    Well, Harrison did say he'd like to see an Indy film set in the '60's and we know when Connery's 007 was beating back evil.

21. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003

Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. I couldn't see any actor fit in that role. Harrison has really defined the character and made it his own. James Bond existed before Sean Connery--there was a clearly defined character from the books. With Indy--it really is Harrison.

I don't think any audience or group of fans would be happy seeing any under actor wearing the iconic fedora.

-Seldon

22. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Im not bashing Lucas but man, sometimes he needs to shut up.

I havn't seen the 4th film, why be thinking of a 5th?

Lucas hit too close to the mark here about Indy5 and that makes me want to punch that noggin of his.

He can be so full of it, ya know but this Indy5, I don't buy it.

As for replacing Indy...

I've never seen an Indiana jones movie in theaters and with Indy4, this is my chance to see Ford again on the big screen as one of the defined characters he ever brought to life - besides that charm he brings - Ford is one of few people I respect.

But to replace Ford - it ain't right and for those who think he's too old, not a chance.

No one could do Indy justice like he did and thats what makes these films so much fun, adventurous and exciting. Thats what these films are meant to be and thats how I see em but seeing Ford back as the adventurer after all this time, is a great honor.

23. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Now after seeing Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I want Indy 5 right now so I hope Harrison, Steven and George come back again soon.

24. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    It would be foolish to give Mutt the hat -- that's Indy's thing, kid! Get your own style! -- but I have to admit, now that I've seen KCS -- it would be fun to see Mutt in his own adventure with Indy showing up to help him along. Just tone down the vine-swinging monkey-boy antics, and it could work.

25. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It appears that Indy 5 is becoming more and more a possibility. I found an interview the other day(I can't seem to find the link at the moment) where Spielberg stated that he will not never make an Indiana Jones film without Harrison. So, that's a really good sign! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.