main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas Says Indy 5 a Possibility?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29 , May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    Suggestions offered by "EW" :

1) Bring back the Nazis: They?re Indy?s Lex Luthor. Communists, even seductive Pinkos with leather fetishes, simply don?t compare.
    2) Call Lawrence Kasdan and Frank Darabont: Kasdan penned the original Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Darabont?s discarded script for the fourth film sounded a heck of a lot more promising than the ultimate plotline about?aliens.
    3) Send Marion packing: No one was more thrilled for the Indiana-Marion reunion, but whatever chemistry they had in Nepal is long gone. Their slapstick scenes together in Crystal Skull set the wrong tone for the entire film.
    4) I know it?s not going to happen (yet), but?Reboot. No Shia. No Harrison. Handpick a dashing young Indy, and show me his first adult adventure, his initial work with Abner Ravenwood, and his initial romance with Marion. Bridge the gap between The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and Temple of Doom (which chronologically is set before Raiders).
    4a) Since I?ve already committed blasphemy, let me further suggest that future films might also benefit from a different director. ?It?s not the years, honey, it?s the mileage,? Indiana once said. Spielberg can still produce, but this franchise needs a jolt. Paging Christopher Nolan.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/06/17/how-to-improve-indiana-jones-5/

2. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    1. Agreed. Nazis are best.

2. Lawlz. I guess they didn't read Darabont's script, then? It had the same alien plot.

3. It was Darabont's idea to bring back Marion... I was happy to see the character and I was happy to see them get married, but yeah...she kind of dragged the movie down IMO.

4. Nooooooo! Terrible. Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones. I almost felt like Crystal Skull was an admission of this. In the first three movies, they were clearly trying to create a James Bond style character--somebody defined entirely by the hat, who has a new sexy girlfriend in every movie and could be replaced every so often with a new actor. But then in part IV, they let him age and get married and when somebody else tries to take the hat, he angrily swipes it away. I like that they can admit this...River Phoenix, Sean Patrick Flanner, and whoever played the 11 year old Indy...they are NOT Indy! No other actor can come even close to Harrison Ford, even in his old age.

And even though I think Spielberg really phoned it in for Indy IV, it just wouldn't be right to have another installment without him directing.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I agree. The Indy films are Harrison, George, and Steven. Remove one and it just wouldn't work. Might as well call it something else entirely. There were times watching Youndy Indy in the early '90's when I'd think: "This is a good show, but is it Indy?"

I think they should only do a fifth movie if they can absolutely agree on the direction of the story. No more dragging Steven kicking and screaming into an alien subplot George. The work suffers when that happens.

They all have to be 100% on board. Maybe that's one reason why I, like you, feel Steven just "phoned it in"?

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Disagree. The USSR in the early 1950s was run by probably the most brutal tyrant of the preceding century. Stalin's crimes against humanity make the Third Reich look like a street gang harassing old ladies. There's no reason that they couldn't make the Soviets into the brutal Nazi heirs that they were.

"Sounded promising" does not mean that it was actually any good.

I think my replies to EW are mainly going to be "are you people stupid?" from now on. I loved Indy and Marion getting back together.

Don't really care about Indy's past all that much. We saw that he wasn't the greatest guy in the world in ToD; we also saw him turn into the Indy of the three movies that follow ToD by film's end. No real need, and Indy wouldn't change all that much as a character anyway.

Yes, because Christopher Nolan is the greatest director in history. Because nobody else could possibly do a decent translation of Batman with seventy years of comics continuity to draw from. [face_tired]

EW: Entirely Wrong.

5. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

God save us from Entertainment Weekly.

A lot of people who write about the entertainment industry are so delusional about their supposed insight. What egos. Instead of covering what other people are actually doing, they have to chime in with their own ideas. If they want to make decisions and influence what movies are made and how, they should give up their nice safe jobs on the sidelines and get into the movie game and take risks like real filmmakers do.

I always liked what David Lean said about critics, "I wouldn't take the advice of a critic on how to shoot a closeup of a teapot."

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I actually posted a rant about it on my Facebook after that post.

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Good counter Boba. EW always does that though. They always make suggestions of the "latest and greatest would be a great director for anything well....because he directed a few great movies" sort.

So?

That's why that magazine is what it is. I haven't even thought much about that mag for a few years now. They're pretty irrelevant IMHO.

8. screenwriter

screenwriter Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2009
    There are more screenwriters than Kasdan and Darabont.

Like some of you have expressed, I, too, believe the series needs a booster shot.

But the problem is not Mr. Spielberg, Mr. Lucas, or the well-seasoned Harrison Ford. They are a three-of-a-kind face cards in a poker hand. Remove any one of them and your odds of winning drop way down. Ah! But add the fourth card- the one that turns a three-of-a-kind into a four-of-a-kind and you have a wtop notch winning hand!

So what is the fourth card? a great script -- a work that is mentally, emotionally, and spiritually consumingfo to create. And it takes time...lots of time for all the parts to link together.

I have written an Indiana Jones script. I created it during the years between IJ3 and IJ4, and have rewritten and tweaked it over the past couple years.

Thank you

edit: that's nice but get an agent.

9. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    i like it :)

10. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
  11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes just don't hold your breath. [face_sick]

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

What, is EW writing again? :p

13. ILuvJarJar

Oct 19, 2008

What do you mean?

14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Don't hold your breath waiting for it. ;) Look how long we waited for Indy 4.

15. ILuvJarJar

Oct 19, 2008
    :( .....true

16. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    I don't think we'll wait that long for Indy 5. It either will come out in the next 3 years or so, or it won't come out at all. Harrison Ford isn't getting any younger.

17. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
  18. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    PREDICTION: Indy 5 will get the green light by December or January and will start filming in June 2010 for a May 20th, 2011 release date celebrating Raider of the Lost Ark's 30th Anniversary and ending the series.

Or not.

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'll be all for that.

Here's hoping! [face_praying]

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    But I think Spielberg is trying to release Tin Tin in 2011. He cvould release two movies in one year though I guess. He's done it before.

Personally, I hope they get another screenwriter besides Koepp. He's fine but go in another direction. Heck, give Tom Stoppard a shot.

21. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    From what I've been reading the storyline is already set. Ford is just waiting to see whether or not the script sucks before he dons the costume.

22. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    That sounds good to me! Although I wouldn't want Indy 5 to end the series. Maybe an Indy 6 could come along after wards to finish off a new Indy trilogy.

23. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Tintin is slated for a December 23, 2011 release date so I can easily see Indy coming out in May the same year.

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Ahh. So Tintin is a holiday '11 release. Then yes Indy 5 could happen in May of same year. They'd have to work pretty fast though over the next few months to prep it for shooting. If we hear they're shooting next year, then yes '11 it is. But if we hear nothing over the next few months about them prepping it, then I'd say it'll come out after Tintin.

25. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Spielberg is going to be a very busy man the next few years:

Tin Tin, Indy, Harvey and Abraham Lincoln.

Spielberg Wants to ReImagine Jimmy Stewart Classic

You can google Spielberg, Harvey and Tin Tin and come up with all kinds of stuff.

Spielberg directed all of the motion capture for Tin Tin in six weeks. It's all in the hands of WETA and Peter Jackson now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.