main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Of course you never know because every writer has bad days, but this guy's resume is top notch. LMS and TS3 are two of the best films of the last 10 years, hands down. Brilliant, fun, character-driven, smart... I would kill for a Star Wars like that. We'll see if this treatment is used. Obviously no one knows if it's good or not, but Arndt definitely is. So even the fact that they involved him is good news.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  2. Episodes 7-9

Episodes 7-9 Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2012
    ???????

[​IMG]

Buddha Fett likes this.
  3. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    He seems pretty engaged in that video! I don't think it will be a clean cut. He's been making SW in his head since about 1972, writing it since about '73. As he moves on to other things and sees the new people doing good work, he'll surely be less and less involved. But I'm not expecting him to just sign out.

I disagree that GL "is always at his best as an idea man", he directed 3 brilliant films, and created far more than just "ideas", including characters, scenes, sequences, worlds, and functioning companies that actually do real things like produce special effects and sound effects for movies. Some of his ideas were quite weak until he actually got down to working them out: such as Count Dooku, who became a better and better character the longer GL actually developed the idea.

4. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I didn't mind TS3 and didn't see Hunger Games so I am not that familiar with Arndt's work.

If he is as big a fan of SW as they say he is, I am sure he will bring out something great for the new trilogy.

5. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I can understand some initial skepticism, but when you have a highly respected mainstream entertainment news source like The Hollywood Reporter verifying initial reports, particularly the specifics of the report from Deadline.Com, it pretty much means that there's actual substance to what's being reported. THR isn't going to report something unless they've been able to independently verify what they're reporting, and I can't think of many instances where something they've reported on ended up being wrong.

Although Kathy does say in both of the official 'Future of Star Wars' videos posted on the Official Website that they're just starting to sit down with writers and work out the story,it doesn't invalidate this latest report at all. It simply means that she's being intentionally vague and trying to downplay things, which is exactly what she ought to be doing. She's way too shrewd to give anything away, especially something as big as an Oscar winner like Arndt's involvement in the development of the ST, in a video interview.

6. mutantchair

mutantchair Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    Deadline says that rumors about Arndt are true, and that he's written a treatment for Episodes 7, 8, and 9. Deadline is one of the most reliable industry sites, and they wouldn't print it if they weren't 100% sure, so I'd say you can take this as gospel truth.

That doesn't mean that Arndt will ultimately be the final screenwriter, or that other writers aren't also writing treatments, only that he is currently taking a crack at it.

7. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    That caught my attention as well...I'll just assume the author meant Ray Charles.

I do however very much want a biopic of Ray Stevens starring Jamie Foxx now. :)

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I guess yesterdays leaks prompted them to make an official announcement. Here it is:

Link: http://www.starwars.com/news/michael-arndt-to-write-screenplay-for-star-wars-episode-vii.html

Well, I would say they're already off to a good start. I bet we'll know the identity of the director before March.

9. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Wow that was quick. So much for the 'no big news until the summer' quote we got from Iger a few days back.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  10. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
  11. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Hopefully they can get a female director.

12. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    What's interesting to me is how absolute the statement is--not that he'll write a draft but that he will be the writer.

13. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Great, interesting choice I think!

14. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Whoa! Now move on to director please...

I guess I'll have to watch TS3 and LMS now.

15. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Another victory for new media journalism.

JainaSoloYJK, krtmd and Garth Maul like this.
  16. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Shouldn't this be official info thread

JainaSoloYJK and Alexrd like this.
  17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Awesome! Looking forward to see what he can come up! :)

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  18. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Hmm. Interesting. Not sure about the background, but we'll see...

19. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Now everything else in the original Arndt rumor needs to be gone over with a fine toothed comb.

20. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Glad to see it get confirmed....We now know one scoop hunter with proven sources :).

21. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, he does seem like a good choice, and of course he's worked with Disney before.
    But it's possible his script will be turned down and they could get someone else to write it. That has happened before. :p

22. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    And this guy was a hugh fan of the PT, I guess Ms Kennedy was right about hiring fans of the brand. I hope he can make more great movies like the PT, but feature more females, with an AC DC soundtrack. This is totally the next gen Star Wars I wanna see. Way to go Disney!! I'm loving it.

23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Including Bird and Abrams both being offered the director gig, as well as, uh, Spielberg.

LawJedi likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Toy Story 3 was amazing. I can't wait to see what happnens

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004

Well, the original rumour was obviously the real deal. That rumour said that Han, Luke and Leia are in his treatment(s). So I guess we can assume they are in Episode VII, at least.That makes me happy.

TreborSabreon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.