main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke does what?!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ye-Intruders-Beware, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Luke's plan, as I see it, was this:
    A) Lando gets hired on as one of Jabba's guards. Since Cloud City was overrun by the Empire, he could have told Jabba he needed some short-term employment. Lando's much smarter than a Gamorrean, so if he worked for a price similar to a normal guard's, Jabba would jump at the chance to hire him. Han was frozen at Lando's Cloud City, which is a definite sign - in Jabba's eyes - of Lando's dislike of Han.
    B) Luke sends the droids to smuggle his lightsaber in and try to barter with Jabba. If Jabba decides to give up Han, then Luke has saved himself a lot of trouble. All he has to do is contact Lando to get him out of the palace.
    C) Since Jabba doesn't want to give Han up, he sends Leia in. Chewie serves as her reason for showing up, and once she's in she can presumeably mingle with the crowd under the guise of finding a new bounty. When she gets a chance, she can free Han from the carbonite. THAT is the reason why Leia went into the palace. Moving Han is much easier than moving a block of carbonite.
    D) Luke himself shows up. He tries for the last time to convince Jabba to give up Han. If Luke's mind-trick works, the entire group can just walk out. But it doesn't. So he does something to really get Jabba angry (kills the Rancor) and gets him to send the whole group out to the Pit of Carkoon. (Presumeably, this is a common occurence with Jabba. His sail barge seems well-suited for watching executions). That way, he doesn't have all the defenses of Jabba's palace to fight his way through.

It's a pretty good plan, IMO.

2. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    I'm not sure Lando would give his real name because there could be rumors of what he did at Cloud City and helped out the Rebels.

3. _Jedi_Master_12

_Jedi_Master_12 Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2002
    Two quick things.

1)Leah and the Wookie
    -What is this? So, this was Luke's actual attempt at freeing Han? Leah was to free Han and escape. right?

It's Leia.

2)We never even see a Force Push in the original trilogy.

When Luke walked into Jabba's palace, didn't he force-push the gammorean gards out of the way? I always thought he did.

_Jedi_Master_12

4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "didn't he force-push the gammorean gards out of the way?"

I think the general consensus is it was a Force-choke (a Dark Side power!) [face_mischief]

5. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm pretty sure it was a slight Force choke to get their attention.

6. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    Luke Force choked the gammorean guards. Only Skywalkers have done the Force choke in the Star Wars saga so far.

7. CavrilhuPirates

CavrilhuPirates Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2003
    I think the general consensus is it was a Force-choke (a Dark Side power!)

...Why is everyone saying that force-choking is a dark side power? I know that it's not nice, but he had to get past them somehow.

One more thing...don't know when it was mentioned, but someone asked why Luke threw a skull at the button to kill the rancor instead of using the force; he probably panicked, and even back then he wasn't completely a Jedi Knight, right?

...ok! that's all :)

8. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    Luke used his left hand to throw the skull. When I first saw TPM, that scene came to mind. I was thinking, "Why didn't Luke use the Force to activate the switch?"

9. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Luke didn't really use a force choke on those two he did the "relax" trick Qui-Gon used on Jar Jar. Also he didn't use the force on that switch because the terrifying monster about to eat him was disturbing his concentration. He should have had more training to control his fear.

10. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    Scuiggefest, do you have anything to back you up? I've read several things that say Luke choked the guards, including the novel. And listen to the guards in that scene. They're gagging.

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think Luke did choke them instead of using Qui-Gon's "relax" trick. They are gagging and holding their hands to their throats. ;)

As far as the Force choke being a dark side power and "relax" not being one, I think the distinction is in the intent. Vader's Force choke is a dark side power because he always uses it with malicious intent. Qui-Gon's trick was a light side power because there were no pragmatic motives involved in his doing it and he was trying to calm Jar Jar down for Jar Jar's own sake.

I believe Luke used the dark side power of Force choke when he turned on the guards because his intent was malicious. Luke wanted to get them out of the way as quickly and easily as possible so he could get to Jabba. Consider: why couldn't Luke have instead taken the extra time to try talking to the guards first, or even mind trick them harmlessly like he did Bib Fortuna? Luke literally chose the quick and easy path in his dealing with the guards, and that made it a use of the dark side.

12. Ye-Intruders-Beware

Ye-Intruders-Beware Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2002
    What the heck? Relax trick?! Come on! Watch the scene! He kills them! They gag for air and girggle and then Die!
    I dont think that Lucas was thinking that deeply when he did that scene. Its not like he said to Mark Hamil: "Ok, in this scene you are going to do the relax trick...it is similar to the choke that Vader did in the first movie. So, do that but dont make it look like you are doing that."

Guys, bottom line: Luke killed the guards.

13. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    I think it is established that Luke choked the guards till they were dead.

14. Protoss72000

Protoss72000 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    actually i believe he chokes them till they black out. I know in the movies we cant tell if there dead or not, but i believe the eu says he doesnt kill them.

15. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    It's NOT a fact Luke killed those guards. In my opinion It looks like they passed out from the Force Choke and were released once Luke passed the guards. You're free to believe what you will, but don't try to pass off opinion as fact.

EDIT: The novel clearly states what happens. You're free to disregard this since it's not completely clear in the movie.

hardback edition of the OT
    page 35 of ROTJ

Luke raised his hand and pointed at the guards. Before either could draw a weapon, they were both clutching their own throats, choking, gasping. They fell to their knees.

Luke lowered his hand and walked on. The guards, suddenly able to breathe again, slumped to the sanddrifted steps. They didn't follow.

16. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "...Why is everyone saying that force-choking is a dark side power?"

Ahhh, I just threw that in there. See what happened? Pushed everyone's buttons! [face_laugh]

(I'm sure the use of it "leads to the Dark Side", as Yoda would say.

"Guys, bottom line: Luke killed the guards."

Hell, Salty. Don't need EU to settle this puppy! :D

"I think it is established that Luke choked the guards till they were dead."

Oh? Guys, in case you missed the earlier discussion in this thread, Luke did everything he could to avoid a direct fight with Jabba, including several warnings. When luke was finally forced (and gave one more warning!, he took care of the immediate threats, and then used an indirect means to destroy Jabba's skifter. Hell, Leia killed Jabba!

Does this sound like the kind of guy who's going to casually kill two gamorrean guards? You're not following the character motivations here.

17. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    Master Salty has established that they didn't die, but they were choked.

18. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    It was a very effective method to get attention. There was no need to kill and I'm sure they didn't want to follow after someone that could easily wipe them out.

19. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "Master Salty has established that they didn't die, but they were choked."

Oh, okay. Guess we won't debate this anymore then.

20. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    Sounds good to me! :)

21. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    [face_laugh]

That's correct.

22. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Hey, Salty! Pick a damn icon, okay!?! [face_laugh]

23. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I can't settle on one for long.

24. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    8-}

Since that will never be settled, any other bone of contention to fight over? :D

25. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

For crying out loud, you guys. Luke choked them, but he did't KILL them. Weren't you watching? I'm surprised you're even DEBATING that he did! :)

Yeah, I know, you are done with that...gotta stick in my 2 cents! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.