main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Major Error in AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by A1Alpha, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A1Alpha

A1Alpha Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2002
    To start off if this was posted before I apologize now.

Now to the error.

When I watched the movie (opening day of course) a number of things in the movie took me by surprise. Near the end though something stunned me. When Dooku was handed the Death Star plans at first I was shocked at the addition of another plot twist. Yet after my initial shock I realized something. The ERROR is that the Death Star was designed by Grand Moff Tarkin. Now I have read almost every book that took place before Episode 4 (not many were written) and the ones concerning the topic all say that he (being Tarkin) created the Death Star. Unless there is now new information about the Death Star then please prove my error wrong.

2. AGGIE_WAN_KENOBI

AGGIE_WAN_KENOBI Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2001
    Sorry to say that the movies are canon . . . the books are not.

GL has the final say, not an EU author.

Cheers and welcome!

3. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Natalie_Portmans_Bum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    Yeah, you are entering EU territory (you sound like you live there :p ).

The films are all that count, not books. Sorry.

4. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    eu is cannon according GL [face_plain]

citizen-tom

5. cnhianda

cnhianda Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Agreed, EU is poo poo. :D

Canon are the movies, and to a lesser extent the OS both monitored by GL.

The OS says that the deathstar is the brainchild of Grand Moff Tarkin.

But AOTC never said who designed it, they just showed who was building...

So no error in AOTC

6. A1Alpha

A1Alpha Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2002
    I know the GL is god and that the books mean nothing but it is an actual fact. Not known my many is the GL is also an author. He essentially wrote ANH (the book)and in it it says that Tarkin made the Death Star. I know the he can override his book but he said so himself that Tarkin designed the Death Star.

7. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    The movies are the only official cannon and rule out anything in the EU books. Hope that answers your question. :)

EDIT: Alan Dean Foster wrote the SW novelization under GL's name.

8. Natalie_Portmans_Bum

Natalie_Portmans_Bum Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    George didn't write the book of ANH.

Someone else help me out on the authors name. :)

9. A1Alpha

A1Alpha Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2002
    That is why I said essentially. This is not based on the EU community entirely. GL himself approved some of the fact books that say this. GL himself said the Tarkin made the Death Star.

10. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I understand you might wanna believe what's in the books, but once one of the movies contradict it, you have to take the movie over the book.

11. PloKloon1138

Apr 5, 2001
    Disregard what they say in the books. This might make some people mad, but the movies are the only cannon.

12. A1Alpha

A1Alpha Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2002
    Ok forget the books focus on other things now

GL said so
    The Diplomatic Corps Entrance Exam (some of you might have taken it) says so

13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Sometime recently Lucas called the EU a 'parallel universe'

So there he is flat out saying that the EU and the SW universe don't affect each other.
    That what happens in one (EU) has nothing to do with what happened in the other (movies).

14. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    EDIT: Alan Dean Foster wrote the SW novelization under GL's name

when was this revealed? i know Foster wrote the novelisation for TESB but my old 1977 star wars book says 'a novel by GL'. i'm not doubting you but when did it come out that ADF done it under GL's name? cheerz.

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    What makes anyone think Tarkin didn't design the Death Star?

The Geonosians are merely manufactuer's, and they are working on Tarkin's design.

Just take it easy you guys, Lucas knows what he is doing.

16. A1Alpha

A1Alpha Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2002
    Where does it say so?

After ANH came out GL had a large amount of people ask him questions about SW. One of these questions was who designed the Death Star. GL said when he was working on the idea way back when he had first done the primary concept of all 6 movies but focused on the last three to be the movie. He left the original three if he ever decided to make a prequel trilogy. But his answer was when he was planning the idea in his maze of work he had made Tarkin the 2nd to the emperor (Darth Vader was 3rd) in ANH. He also made Tarkin the head of the Death Star and the guy who created it.

I believe at one point he say something along the lines of ?my creation?? (creation the Death Star).Maybe I am wrong, I will look at my script to see what the actual line was

17. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    A1Alpha, are you refering to my question? My question was meant for PloKloon1138.

18. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    I hate to break it to you, but even in the EU, the Death Star wasn't designed by Tarkin. According to the EU, it was designed by Raith Seinar, an associate of Tarkin's, and various others made contributions. Whether AotC contradicts the EU in this regard is up for debate, and it's largely a matter of your point of view. What is certain is that the Death Star had a long and often convaluted history in the EU before AotC and this is simply one more twist added to it.

19. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Tarkin was simply involved at another stage. Did the movie ever say only the Genosians worked on it? No, Poggle actually said OUR. So to me, there is a good chance that more than the Genosians were involved.

20. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    Tarkin never designed the Death Star. According to the EU, Tarkin got the idea and rough outlines from Raith Seiner of a huge moon sized battle station. I assume that Tarkin then gave those to Palpatine, who in turn gave them to his apprentice who had the Geonosians and Bevel Lemelisk further make amendments to the designs. When Dooku escaped to Coruscant, he gave the Geonosians/Lemelisk designs back to Palpatine, who in turn had Tarkin set up the Maw Installation under the command of Admiral Daala, wherein a group of scientists headed by Lemelisk and Qwi Xux further refined the designs and produced a working model. So unless Lucas changes any Death Star info in Ep III, it all fits together pretty well.

Edit: With my slow comp. Face and Reaper beat me to it on some of my points.

21. PloKloon1138

Apr 5, 2001
    Numerous articles and interviews with ADF say so. And I am pretty sure that in his newest book, The Approaching Storm, it gives him credit for writing the ANH novelization.

22. darth_brutus

darth_brutus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Anyone could have helped to create it, including Tarkin, or even Tarkin may have modified the Geonosian design. The fact that they have the designs doesn't mean that they are the sole designers, owners builders and future operators of the Death Star. EU characters like Bevel Lemelisk and Qui Xux, who refined the designs can still be placed in the process of its creation, as the plans would have been passed from group to group.

Edit: Basically along the lines of what Fire_Light said.

23. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
  24. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Good find, RF. :)

25. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    cheerz ReaperFett and PloKloon1138. Never knew that about ADF ghostwriting ANH novel. Still have my original copy of 'Splinter of the Minds Eye'- priceless!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.