main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Mandalorians in the ST

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Revanfan1, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Mooks shouldn't be able to go toe to toe with a Jedi, only special Mandalorians. And I'd like one of those special warriors to kill a Jedi just to destroy the stupid idea that force users can't be killed in one on one.

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I would also like to point out that not all Jedi are special, either.
    You have your fair share of average Jedi as well. Mace Windu, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda should not be used as the example of your everyday Jedi - they are the finest the Order has to offer at that particular time.
    I noticed that a lot of people who criticise Mandalorians as overpowered on one side, give far too much power to the Jedi on the other.

Robimus, Hansa, StoneRiver and 3 others like this.
  3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    In head to head? Still some drugging and some sonic weapons should get the job done.

I am not sure that counts, it was in the middle of a chaotic battle. Far Different from winning in straight up head to head.

MODified: Please avoid doubling/stacking multiple posts. Use your edit button.
    I have altered the post. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm pretty sure a steady barrage of blaster bolts from a fast-firing repeating blaster would do the job as well.
    Can't deflect 'em all.

StoneRiver likes this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, imagine if a bunch of regular clone troopers could kill Jedi with their blasters. Oh, wait.

6. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Fair enough. He killed one jedi out of the few who were hopelessly outnumbered only to foolishly opt to try and grab Mace Windus lightsaber rather than shoot him in the face with painful ease. I do stand corrected by that cli though. I confess I had forgotten that. I think my main point still stands though. Boba and Jango both died out of extreme incompetence, and I mean absolutely extreme incompetence. That is literally are only true introduction to mandalorians. I just have a hard time grasping the obsession over their supposedly superior skills when we haven't seemed to really see them yet.

In the end it doesn't really mater to me though. No need to ruin everyone else's party I suppose.

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Why is everyone assuming that Jango and Boba are the best the Mandalorians have to offer? For me they were simply guys who were trained in the mandalorian ways and chose to become bounty hunters. If Abrams introduces new Mandalorians, he can make them as badass as he wishes.

Hansa, StoneRiver and The Hellhammer like this.
  8. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Because right now they are the only Mandalorians that have been offered to us. We kept being told they were the greatest bounty hunters to be feared. My point is that people keep just assuming the Mandalorians would obviously be epic, and totally capable. We have yet to be shown if that is really true. I go off of what I actually see, and right now all I have seen is two guys who provide nifty fan service with their cool armor, but are largely incapable in a fight, and would make a horrible threat to the galaxy.

StoneRiver likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Thing is, George Lucas had to dumb them down, because the people they were fighting were still essential to the movie. Boba could not have very well taken out Han or Luke, because the movie would have ended there. And Jango could not have killed Mace, because Mace had plot armor almost as thick as Han or Luke. Sure, Jango technically should have just shot Mace in the face. But the plot required Mace to live and, consequently, Jango to die. This does not mean Jango or Boba are incompetent, just that George Lucas needed to kill them off in order to continue the movies.

10. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Mace in no way had plot armor, and that is zero excuse. If that were true then every death would die from incompetence in the films and that just isn't the case. You can have them die, but make their killers work for it. They didn't "need" to be dumbed down. They chose to dumb them down. Either way proves my point. All the audience has seen of Mandalorians so far is incompetent deaths. I genuinely mean no disrespect towards those who like them. It is just hard for the rest of us to jump on board with the whole "Mandalorians are the best warriors ever!" When we have yet to be shown proof of that.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't know, we didn't know it at the time, but Mace did have plot armor–though you're right, this is not an excuse for the way they were written. I'm not sure about Boba, but for Jango at least they could've had him shoot at Mace instead of diving for the lightsaber, and Mace uses Force-enhanced speed to dodge aside and get his saber back, while Jango's shooting the whole time. And personally, I don't consider Boba dead, but that's just me as an EU fan.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    I am an EU fan myself, but for the time being I leave ever element of EU related material at the door since it will likely be overwritten (Something I welcome, but there is a whole thread for that discussion).

Still not sure I agree with you about Mace having plot armor. His extent was going to confront Palpatine. I would call that week OT stormtrooper armor at best, and that is being mighty generous I think.

As I said. Everything we know strictly from the films does not equate to the ability people are assuming from the Mandalorians. I can certainly understand your love for them based off the EU. I personally found them a little needlessly overpowered to some silly extremes, but I really get the appeal, and I have to admit they look awesome. :)

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, I guess Mace's plot-armor wasn't all that strong; someone else could've confronted Palpatine. And again, it's still no excuse for the incompetence of Jango's tactics. This is the guy you want to make an army out of...? But hey, that was one time. Sure, one time was enough to get him killed, and if you're only going by the movies it makes him look pretty bad. You just have to trust the implication (and EU stories) that Jango is a capable fighter.

14. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Yeah. I just prefer being shown rather than told. Anyone can say they are all that, but being all that is an entirely different thing.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    And what's stopping Abrams from showing them as powerful fighters? Just because two dudes were weaker than Jedi doesn't mean you can't show a more kick-ass mandalorian warrior.

I also don't know where you got the impression in the bolded sentence. From the EU? The EU is irrelevant. In AOTC he was just some dude the Kaminoans used as template for their clones. Why did they chose him? Don't know, don't care. They don't seem to have any a lot of practical intelligence, though, by producing an entire army and never giving the Jedi council any status updates about it. Seriously, which company works like that?

16. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Nothing is stopping him. All I am saying is our current representation of them is an incompetent one.

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Given how much involvement GL had with TCW I would think if any Mandalorians were in the ST they would be most like them (but hopefully less easy to kill).

So having super-armour and being able to kill Jedi makes them over-powered? They are hardly Sith Lords with the ability to devour whole worlds (that is over-powered).

18. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    And yet pending on the author they are often portrayed as being fully capable of killing those world devouring sith. Not going to get off topic and debate this here, but I really dislike their portrayal in the EU. Some authors portray them as far to easily capable of killing jedi. They also have a tendency to be portrayed as having the best moral code. Even the wrong things they do are somehow portrayed as right.

I'm just not a fan.

19. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I'm perfectly fine with Mandos acting as the 'mooks' of the ST. However, we as fans will have to learn to accept that if Mandos are the mooks of the ST, lots of Mandalorians are going to die very quickly.

However, changes are somewhat warranted. Mandos can't just be Star Wars Klingons, because that just looks cheap on-screen. Something significant will have to be done to quickly differentiate the two in the ST. I'm not saying Mandos are a complete rip-off, but the watered down version of the Mandos which will have to be shown onscreen will seem like ripoffs. I don't want Star Wars' big comeback to be a bunch of knockoff Klingons fighting 80-year-old Han Solo.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  20. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    All armies kill innocent woman and children, some armies try to limit the amount, but every army inflicts "collateral damage." The Mandolarians are no different in that regard. And in space wars involving thousands of planets and billions of people the scale of the casualties is going to be greater. So I agree mostly with what you wrote.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do you mean with Klingon-ripoff Mandalorians? I have read the term once or twice but don't understand it.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Proof based on how they were shown in the films is right there in the films. Jango kills a Jedi Master and escapes Obi-Wan. Boba Fett is feared by the galaxy, captures Han Solo and causes Luke Skywalker more problems than any other non Force using villain did in the films.

Not to mention that Jango's genetic duplicates destroy the Jedi Order.

So far we haven't seen someone in the films, in Mandalorian armor, who hasn't been very capable.

People are upset that Karen Traviss expanded upon their language and showed them having a sort of loose moral code so they use the "Klingon" thing as an attempt to belittle those books. Considering that the moral code came from KotOR, and even Dark Horse, prior to KT's books appearing shows it is all a lot about nothing really.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I know one thing: Benedict Cumberbatch should play all of the Mandalorians.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If the Mandalorians appear in the Sequels then I hope they are among the good guys, maybe the New Republic version of Rex and his boys in SW: Clone Wars

Done right that would be badass but to me it feels a bit more Warhammer 40k than Star Wars

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Fenn Shysa's Mandalorian Protectors were this- but they never really got focussed on much.

Gamiel, Mia Mesharad and Revanfan1 like this.