main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knox, TN March meeting

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by tennesseejedi, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tennesseejedi

tennesseejedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2001
    the TSWCG will have their next meeting on March 17 (time to still be determined) at Celebration Station in west Knoxville. this is the day after the preview Episode 2 figures hit the stores so there will be alot to show and tell. there were 8 of us at our last meeting and we would like everyone in east tennessee that is intetested to please join us in March. post here for more info.

Brett
    --TSWCG site Administrator/Knoxville Rep.--

2. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I wonder if some of the stores (like Toys R Us) are gonna have midnight sales this time around? I remember I was up till 2:00 in the morning in '99

3. tennesseejedi

May 27, 2001
    yes, both TRU in knoxville will be having the midnight madness star wars toys on sale on april 22 at midnight. we plan to meet as a group for this so everyone will have a chance for the new stuff.

--tennesseejedi--

4. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Hey y'all! :)

Just a thought, folks. Have you ever thought about becoming an official FanForce chapter? There seem to be enough people who stop by this forum to make a go at it. I understand that some of you who stop by here are part of the collector's club, but wouldn't it be great if you could organize a FanForce group that has not only members from the collectors' group, but also folks who just like to hang out and talk Star Wars?

My group (Atlanta) has members that are just fans of the movies, as well as members who are diehard collectors and costumers.

As I said, it is just a thought. I would love to see another TN FanForce. :)

If anyone is interested in organizing an official FanForce group in Knoxville, please contact me via PM or send an e-mail minacia@fanforce.net.

5. marvelfett

marvelfett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2002
    Hi,
    I've never posted with you guys before. I'm very interseted in the March 17th meeting. Any info would be cool. Thanks.

6. tennesseejedi

May 27, 2001
    sure thing. tell us a little about yourself marvelfett if you would. you are more than welcome to join us this Sunday for our March meeting. are you into collecting, fan films, costuming, LARP, or what??
    please spread the word about the group and bring along anyone you think might be interested in joining. please check out the TSWCG site and become a member. this is the best way to keep up to date on what's happening with us. i look forward to seeing you at the meeting. pizza and Star Wars video games at Celebration Station!! what more could you ask for!! LOL

--Brett--
    --TSWCG site Administrator/Knoxville Rep--

7. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    Hey, Minacia!

I think a FanForce chapter for Knoxville could be an excellent idea. There are plenty of fans here. Anybody else interested?

8. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    Oh yeah!!

9. tennesseejedi

May 27, 2001
    i think a Fanforce for Knoxville has potential in the near future. right now we as a group are represented by "another" Star Wars site and webpage as the TSWCG. maybe a possible TSWCG/Knoxville Fanforce??? maybe...

--brett--

10. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Hi again, y'all! :)

I'm sure we can work to create a TSWCG/Knoxville FanForce. But, I would prefer the group to be open to everyone, not just collectors. Perhaps we can work to organize a Knoxville FanForce, which just happens to have many TSWCG members. To give you an example: many members of the Atlanta FanForce group are also members of the GA 501st Stormtrooper Garrison. Both clubs are independent, but we have many members in common, if you get my drift. I think both clubs have benefitted from this.

Now, having said that, the TSWCG could possibly become the Knoxville FanForce chapter, if the rest of the FanForce staff approves. Both the Dallas and Seattle FanForce groups were already clubs in their own right before they ever joined the FanForce ranks. As I have mentioned before, each FanForce group makes their own rules, and pretty much operates however they see fit. The only rules involved with being a FanForce chapter are:

1. Your group must elect a City Rep to stay in contact with me and to keep me updated on events (which I would post on the FanForce web site). The City Rep would also come to me with any questions or concerns your group may have. The City Rep is appointed by members of your group once your third meeting as a FanForce group has been completed.

2. Use the FanForce boards to converse and be sure to post meeting announcements here so that new folks who visit the forum can find out about your group. This doesn't mean that you couldn't also use another message board or mailing list to communicate, only that you do some communication here, so that other like-minded souls in your area might find you.

For more detailed information, you can check out the FanForce FAQ

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I'd really like to see Knoxville join the ranks of other Southern cities such as Atlanta, Nashville, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, and Havelock, NC. :)

11. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    Thing is, I'm not really into collecting that much either. I don't mind meeting with a group of Star Wars fans here in Knoxville, even if they're under the premise of collecting. IMO, tennesseejedi has made it pretty clear (to me at least) that you don't actually have to be a collector to attend their meetings or participate.

Then again, it is pretty much his call if he wants to amlagamate a TSWCG and FanForce chapter. I would be all for it, as I think it would be very interesting. I don't know if we could sustain a serious group around here without the participation of TSWCG members.

Bottom line for me is that I'm all for it, but its not my deciscion alone.

:)

12. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    "Right now we as a group are represented by..." Excuse me? There's a lot more to Knoxville fans than your collector group... I'd never even *heard* of your group until the last month or so...

I'm sorry, but the arrogance of that comment just really rubbed me the wrong way...

13. TanthosJorlac

TanthosJorlac Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2001
    Peace Gentlebeings...Peace! I for one am very excited and interested in the TSWCG and the posibility of a Knoxville FanForce. We must work together as one to accomplish much!

14. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    Well, that seems to be four people who are interest in a Knoxville FanForce, eh Tin-Buk?

15. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Yeah, but you can't join, Twink, because you don't live anywhere near Knoxville!

16. tennesseejedi

May 27, 2001
    that's a collectors group, Fenn, if you havn't *heard* yet and yes we have been around for a while. the arrogance from you thinking that this is the only group out there rubs me the wrong way, Fenn. when i say *we* that means the TSWCG and not everyone from Knoxville. join a group, please!!
    FYI-Regal West Town royally sucked when it came to showing the SW trailer in front of Ice Age! dark screen and subpar sound. oh well....

i will see everyone that's *invited* tomorrow for the meeting, if that's ok with you Fenn. lol

--tennesseejedi--

17. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    HEY HEY!!

Let's all chill a bit.

tennesseejedi,

What are the requirements to join your group? How often do they meet? What are your responsibilities as it's City Rep?

The reason I ask is simple. We need to know if this collector's group has an open-door policy to all fans.

I think all Knoxville users should go to FANFORCE.NET and read the FAQ on the far left. I'd like to see FF and the collector's group unite into a huge Star Wars fan group. Again, I need more details about your group, TJ. ;)

If you have any questions regarding FanForce, please send your questions to Minacia_Brightstar. She'll be more than happy to help. :D

18. tennesseejedi

May 27, 2001
    we have a very open-door policy for our group which is NOT limited to collectors alone. just today we had our march meeting and some of the new members don't even do the collecting thing. you do not have to be a collector to join us at the TSWCG just be a fan and want to talk about star wars. we meet once a month by the way at various restaurants around town very similar to the Nashville Fanforce group and their meetings. the knoxville chapter of the TSWCG welcomes everyone, but just because some of us post messages on this board does not mean that we necessarily want to become a Fanforce chapter. we operate just fine and may someday wish to become part of a Fanforce but please don't pressure us into it. there are others in this area that may decide against joining the TSWCG or who may want a Knoxville Fanforce separate from the TSWCG/knoxville chapter and that is fine. all we ask is for respect and courtesy that the TSWCG/Knoxville operate the way us fans here in Knoxville want it to operate, as a fan group with a strong collecting backbone. Elan-Rai, why do you need to know MORE details about the group? when the TSWCG/Knoxville decides if and when to be part of a Fanforce, we will let you know. you can find out more about the group through the web site linked in my bio page about topics we discuss, members, and meeting times. i know there are some TSWCG members from the nashville area that are also Nashville Fanforce members and that's cool. i hope this helps clear things up. thank you.

19. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    Personally I'll take any and all Star Wars that I can get in Knoxville and if anyone decides to join the fanforce as well as the TSWCG I'd like to hang with them too. I just want to have as much fun with my "addiction" as possible.

20. tennesseejedi

May 27, 2001
    yeah, marvelfett, i think you enjoyed yourself at our meeting today. ;-)
    am i right? you are a collector AND fan and can hopefully back up my statements above about the TSWCG/Knoxville being open to everyone and not just collectors. i'm all for a Fanforce at some point but there is nothing that says the TSWCG needs to be one big happy group under TFN. we are doing just fine, am i right marvelfett? anyone who comes to our meetings will be surprised by our diversity and how much star wars related stuff we have planned for the area over the next year. come be part of a great group of people. we get larger with every meeting so i know Knoxville is FORCE strong!! ;-)

21. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    I don't see why a person can't be a member of TSWG and FanForce. :)

Certainly it wouldn't take too much of one's time. Personally I am interested in both groups. ;)

22. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    Yes. Both groups would I enjoy.

23. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    Yes indeed, I had a lot of fun today. I would love to join fanforce if it happened. I also think it would be cool if our little group here in k-town could reatain it's individual identity as well. All groups star off small, even theforce.net.

24. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Hey again, guys! :)

There has been some misunderstanding about how FanForce works. I don't want anyone to feel as if we are pressuring the TSWCG into becoming a FanForce chapter. I'm simply trying to generate interest in forming a Knoxville FanForce chapter, whether or not the TSWCG is involved. FanForce is simply a way to make it a bit easier for fans to find other fans in their area. This is beneficial to everyone. :)

NOTE: FanForce DOES NOT control what local FanForce chapters do, we just help promote fandom and the actual "real life" socializing of SW fans.

And yes, people can be a part of a FanForce chapter and the TSWCG. As I have mentioned before, several of the Atlanta FanForce members share memberships between several other local Sci-Fi groups. In fact, this has been a very good thing, as we participate in each others' events. It's good PR for everyone.

Again, if anyone has any questions or is interested in starting a local FanForce chapter, please contact me at minacia@fanforce.net, or you can send me a PM.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled messages... ;)

25. marvelfett

Jan 1, 2002
    I agree that interaction between groups would be great. I love to talk "Star Wars" with anyone who will listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.