main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Marvel to acquire Star Wars comics/graphic novels license in 2015

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rew, Jan 3, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Except that they shifted away from having so many miniseries and instead launched two new ongoings before the Disney deal was ever announced.

2. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Speechless with dismay.

Point Given likes this.
  3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Tragic. DH was doing a fantastic job, and the fact that Disney replaced them with an in-house company that's not likely to give the license the same attention and quality (and which shortsightedly and consistently stiffs the trade market) is not a good sign for the future.

Is this move really about what's best for the franchise, or is it about a company trying to freeze out a competitor to one of its subsidiaries? Once again, when it comes down between guarding and protecting a priceless franchise and corporate profit-maximization, Disney disappoints. I miss Lucas already, and I don't say that lightly. For all his flaws, at least he cared about carrying across an artistic vision and building the franchise, not wringing every last cent out of a property.

Star Wars isn't run by artists anymore, guys. It's run by the goddamn accountants.

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    True, but Brian Wood leaving STAR WARS shortly sounds like another sign to me. What happened to hoping to write stories all the way up to ESB? Seems like it's on the road to ending.

5. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Truer words were never spoken.

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. Darth Nyad

Darth Nyad Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 4, 2013
    Maybe your right, I should give them a chance. I'm just not a very big fan of Marvel, and Dark Horse had done a great job over the years with Star Wars.

7. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Besides the implication that there is no interest in continuing the existing EU, is there any other reason to doubt that Marvel would continue some of DH's concepts, especially if they hire the same authors? JJM's blog entry especially reads like both a commemoration of DH and an application to Marvel. Beyond authors being free to work for all companies (unless there's some exclusive contracts - is there?), wouldn't LFL be able to give characters like Zayne or Cade to another company if they wanted to? The novel license moving from Bantam to DR didn't result in trouble of that kind - only in conceptual troubles.

Anyway, anyone who wants to support DH in these difficult times should consider picking up other titles than just those with the SW brand on the cover.

...soooo, Star Wood, basically?

The shift to mini-series happened some time ago, long before Disney was on the horizon. If anything, they recently returned to ongoings.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Jonathan Hickman@JHickman
    51m

DAN BUCKLEY: Okay, what's your pitch, Jonathan?
    ME: I want to do a book about the economics of Coruscant.
    BUCK: Someone get me Bendis.

blackmyron and CooperTFN like this.
  9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    People should be doing that anyway. DH does good STAR WARS comics, but they have far far greater comics then anything they've ever done with STAR WARS.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't shed any tears for the end of Star Wood but it sounds like he simply pre-planned his run and didn't intend to stick around indefinitely. I assume, had DHC's contract been renewed, they would have tried to get another big name outside-the-box writer to continue it with and we'd have to come up with a new shorthand for it. ;)

11. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011

The way Marvel's statement is worded makes me think that this isn't going to happen. I can hold on to a bit of hope that this MIGHT happen, but Disney-Star Wars hasn't been living up to expectations so far, so I'm not too chipper and happy about it right now. Plus, Brian Wood has come out and said that Star Wars is ending at #20 and that he doubts Marvel would hire him to write whatever new series they come out with. Gabriel Hardman also said Legacy is ending after the 4th arc (issue 18)

(In response to buying DH books)

Go do it! They have amazing series. My favorite DH has been been the Massive, also by Brian Wood. It's really awesome, really creepy and just all around great. DH Pride!

12. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Hickman or Bendis actually seem like good fits to me. Hickman is known mainly for his insanely intricate plotting, so getting him to do a series depicting the new post-RotJ would be amazing, while Bendis is known for characterization and teen characters, so him doing backstories for any new characters would be good.

13. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    We might get a Marvel series, dealing with ANH to ESB, since the TOS, said to look forward to the new adventures of Luke, Han, Leia, and Chewie

14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'd love JJM and Ostrander&Duursema to work on SW comics even for Marvel.

15. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Yoda: Use the force Luke
    Luke: The Force?
    Yoda: Yes, the Force.
    Luke: The Force.
    Yoda: Yes, go and use it.
    Luke: You want me to use the Force?
    Yoda: Yeah
    Luke: Right now?
    Yoda: Right now.

Star Wars by Brian Michael Bendis everybody.

16. Darth Nyad

Jan 4, 2013
    We could only hope. I'm still wondering what is going to happen with the EU.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Thank you Dark Horse for all you've done for the Star Wars universe. I'm really going to miss you guys.

TrandoJedi, Ryus, KamSolusar and 4 others like this.
  18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I will miss DHC a lot, but...

Marvel's licensed Dark Tower comics were splendid, so was their job with the CrossGen properties that DIsney managed and they acquired thanks to the merge, and they've been extremely careful with the MiracleMan brand they bought. I see no reason, other than standard Internet posturing, to assume they will make a bad job with Star Wars.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  19. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    You are?

Malachi108 likes this.
  20. Darth Nyad

Jan 4, 2013
    I don't necessarily think that Disney and Marvel will do a bad job, I just don't want to see all the Work DHC did go to waste.

Darkslayer and Reaper63 like this.
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    If they reboot the continuity, it won't be because Marvel gets the rights to the comics. And honestly, as the old adagio goes, "their old comics won't suddenly disappear from your collection".

22. jaoblias

jaoblias Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 23, 2012
    a.k.a QUICK GRAB THE OMNIBUSES WHILE YOU CAN

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I am also wondering about EU but by the tone here it seems everything will be axed and possibly redone. Does anyone have a concrete answer or do I have to wait till 2015?

24. Darth Nyad

Jan 4, 2013
    [QUOTEIf they reboot the continuity, it won't be because Marvel gets the rights to the comics. And honestly, as the old adagio goes, "their old comics won't suddenly disappear from your collection".][/QUOTE]

True

25. Darth Nyad

Jan 4, 2013
    [QUOTEI am also wondering about EU but by the tone here it seems everything will be axed and possibly redone. Does anyone have a concrete answer or do I Have to wait till 2015?][/QUOTE]

This is what I was trying to say. Just didn't come out that way. This is the exact same thing I was wanting to know.