main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Effect 1,2 & 3 -- Action (RPGs?) made by BioWare (ME3 Spoilers Hidden!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lord-Draco, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Anti-human moron disappeared instantly on my first try - too bad there's not a mission where I can track down Klyat and rip his dumb head off! Should have been permitted to kill both Elias and his scuzzball lawyer too.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    It's bugged. Annoyingly so. I typically have to replay that section once or twice. For what it's worth, it's the only bug in the game that I've found of that scope.

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Kolyat!

No, not the best loyalty mission. Although it does have the Shepard VI discussion, that was awesome.

4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i actually have never had any problems with either mission. never had to reload, or anything, in my three runs through the game.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, that was one of the most annoying loyalty missions in the game. While blasting the umpteenth LOKI mech gets a bit boring, following that jerk to save his life was so slow and boring. And I think the 360 version has a glitch where when you run into that random maintenance guy where you can't choose a paragon response, you have to choose the renegade or else then the game gets stuck and you have to repeat the whole damn annoying sequence again. Wonder if they fixed that in the PS3 version.

It doesn't help that most turians all looks alike and there are plenty of krogans and its not exactly easy to keep track from up there.

The Sheppard VI is funny, and Thane is a great character, just too bad his loyalty mission is such a pain to get through.

6. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    huh... i've done that completely paragon before with no glitches. i don't know what's going on. maybe having it installed on the system fixes it or something.

7. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I've played it 5 times through and thankfully I've never had any of these issues on my 360.

8. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Hmm, I wasn't aware it was bugged either, it's never had problems every time I've gone through it.

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm pretty sure I remember running into that random boy, then trying to use the charm/paragon response and then getting stuck and having to restart and rerun through that annoying mission again. Hm, maybe they fixed it in an update or newer copies? I know it exists, as the ME wiki mentions it in the article of Thane's loyalty mission in its list of bugs. Oh, the article also mentions that sometimes the encounter with the stock boy doesn't trigger? Odd, wonder if its random, or just another bug too. Assuming the article is accurate anyway.

Oh well, its a Bioware game, what would it be like without at least the occasional bug? Although that was the only one that prevented me from moving forward with a paragon choice (not that a few Renegade points is that big a deal, of course, its just annoying).

10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You can't retry the mission? The game should give you the option in the save/load game menu.

As for the mission, yeah, that part atop the catwalks can be confusing the first time around due to their layout and several subtle and not-so-subtle obstacles along the way. I never had the turian simply dissapear on me before. Always try to keep an eye on him and his korgan bodyguard and where they're heading before you move; they're such a distinctive pair they're hard to miss.

11. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
  12. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    My problem is that sometimes the game sometimes gets bugged. I check in with the target, I watch him walk away so that I'll need to go to the next room to check in with him. I go through the door into the stockroom, and then the camera is set to a strange angle, I can't move, and Thane spends the next two minutes asking where the target is until eventually the mission fails.

It's the most annoying bug in the game by far.

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Interesting theories put forth on that site; the guy has definitely done his homework! We'll definitely have to see how it plays out, although I expected that there would be a considerable amount of time between ME2 and ME3 to set up the game and setup an incident that would de-level Shepard all over again for gameplay purposes.

14. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Arrival on the 29th! [face_dancing]

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I wouldn't mind the game throwing varied tasks at me except there's often no warning and by the time you realise what's actually happening, you're stuffed - at least give a clear re-try option. No I didn't know you could restart missions - if you're going to be so cocky as to issue a game without instructions you better be have flawlessly clear design and ME2 doesn't. There's a lot to recommend but it's quite a learning curve too, in that respect I'd see SE with FF having the edge on Bioware, but Bioware having the better story execution.

16. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well we finally get to see Admiral Hackett, voiced by Lance Henrickson. And we're supposed to rescue an undercover operative. Hmmm... I'm thinking it's Ashley/Kaidan. If Liara gets her own DLC Ashley and Kaidan better get there own.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/03/18/mass-effect-2-dlc-the-arrival-slated-for-march-29-release/

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Character-wise, Ashley and Kaidan were by far Shepard's worst teammates imo, so I'd be happy if I never heard from them again.

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Hackett!

It's about time.

19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I loved Ashely! :mad:

Kaidan was... all right. But Liara gets the worst teammate award in my book, never understood why she got so much love.

20. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
  21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Liara has the mysterious alien appeal, plus the older woman thing too. She's also hawt and some of her lines are great.

Ashley was interesting and her chemistry with Shepard was great too, even Fem!Shep. It's a shame she wasn't a romance option for Fem!Shep, that would have been great.

Kayden seemed to be all 'woe, I'm L2 biotic, can haz pity party?' and boring.

22. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Scuttlebutt says otherwise.:p

23. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I never got any mysterious alien appeal from Liara. Maybe I've been desensitized to aliens but nothing about her seemed alien to me. She was just like any other human. And even though she was old she didn't act like it, she was naive, now naivety can be done well like with Tali, but Liara just seemed annoying. And every time we would have a mission briefing it was all "Oh, I'm so weak!" "You should see Dr. Chakwas." Mass Effect 2 she got better and likable, but Mass Effect 1 I only used her for Noveria.

Ashley was great, had her in the party all the time. Looking forward to having her back on the team in Mass Effect 3, after all I stayed faithful to her the whole time.

Kaidan was Carth-lite.

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    How could you consider one of your more powerful hitters in ME1 as worst teammate? As for why Liara's got so much love, I think it's fairly easy to answer that. She got so much love because:

1) She's Hawt!
    2) somewhat naive, making her all the more sweet and loveable
    3) undeniably appealing as an "older woman"
    4) extremely powerful, even more so now, and there's no denying a powerful woman is utterly enticing.

Wheareas Ashley's a xenophobic space cadet with a huge chip on her shoulder whose only appeal is her love of poetry. Gee, guess which one always wins in my book? Hell, if Liara became completely unavailable due to her new job, I'd still choose other people like Tali or even Jack before choosing Ash. That's how much love I got for G.I. Jane there.

25. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I never had much use for Liara. If I wanted a biotic I used Wrex, he had biotics and he could shoot.

1) Eh, I'd give her a 6
    2) Naivety can be done well, it wasn't done best with her. Her naivety seemed forced.
    3) If she hadn't said her age I would have guessed she was 25
    4) In Mass Effect 1 I never really saw her as the super-teammate. In Mass Effect 2 I liked her more.

Ashely isn't so much xenophobic as nationalistic. Since each alien species is there own nation it makes it hard to differentiate racism from nationalism. Ashley doesn't hate the turian species, she distrusts the Turian Hierarchy. She doesn't think human's as a species are better, but she does believe the Alliance is better. And I like a woman who knows her way around an assault rifle. Not to mention religious similarities, can't tell you much I like discussing God with video game characters. Poetry is fine, I have different tastes though. But I'd choose Ashley>Tali>Miranda>Liara>Jack. That's how much love I got for G.I. Jane there. ;)