main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Messages to the Outside World

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 3: The Mods Strike Back' started by Terr_Mys, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    http://boards.theforce.net/Classic_Trilogy/b10002/17140662/?76

In response to this thread, it does not matter what cool things Ben has done, he is boring as hell.
    I was interested in hearing what Kersh and Lucas and Carrie and even Dennis had to say but Ben was so boring. I was glad that the dull animators would not be talking, they were replaced by the equally dull Burtt.

Who cares about that little stunt? In all the times I have seen ROTJ, I have never noticed and I could care less.

I don't think anyone can deny that of the films AOTC is the worst edited. In so many ways which I outlined in an old AOTC forum thread. Lucas made a bad decision when he hired Burtt to be the editor for AOTC, the guy was just not made for that. The Family scene and bedroom scenes should have been in the movie. At this point, I don't care what anyone says.

Reasons for the Family scenes
    1. They add so much to the story and validate the love story as real.

2. It just has a great flow with the rest of the story, read the novel for a better idea of it.

3. Great character development for Padme. She is really a one dimensional character and it added a lot to her, stuff we needed to see.

4. The bedroom scene made a great story out of those who cannot adapt, die.

IT would just really improve the movie.

-Seldon

2. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    http://boards.theforce.net/Attack_of_the_Clones/b10001/17217465/?9

The French and Indian War was not fought between the French and the Indians. That is only one side of the war, they were allies.

Look too bad that the PT does not fit your little dream of what it should be. George gave us something much deeper and better than we could have imagined.

-Seldon

3. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Sorry for all the double posts but I have messages to the outside world today.

http://boards.theforce.net/Your_Jedi_Council_Community/b10008/17220172/?2

My homecoming is next weekend.
    I probably won't go to the game but the dance should be good.

I don't see what the big deal about Fare_Lenore is and I probably will never understand it.

I was going to say something similar to what KW did but held my tongue over the anti-social line. Sure Jim you can complicate the definition but what does anti-social mean? Not social and are gays all hermits that don't socialize? It seems like a large generalization to make.

-Seldon

4. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Knightwriter said: Regardless, the general usage of the term "antisocial" has a connotation that homosexuality simply doesn't qualify for. It's a misuse of the term, and it's also worth noting that the American Psychological Association has a diagnosis for antisocial disorder, and homosexuality has nothing to do with it.

I think you are confusing the rather sketchy psychological disorder with the actual meaning of the word. They are two very different things. I see what you are doing as very similar to the negative connotation typically assigned to the word "discrimination" simply because it has been assigned to racist acts in the recent past. The word itself had up until recently carried a rather positive meaning.

Now I'm not saying that I was not using "antisocial" in a negative context, as I most definitely was. I simply feel that you should be able to accept the true meaning of a word though it does not match your gut reaction or your current understanding of the word.

General usage does not equate to correct usage.

5. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Jim you are complicating a simple definition.
    anti-social means simply that one is not social or against social activities.

-Seldon

6. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    No, see, it does not. It is a definition that has become popular, but it is not the only definition, nor was it the definition that I was using in that instance.

One of the terrible results of the takeover of political correctness is the fact that just because a popular meaning/emotion has been attached to a word, dies not mean it is the definition that should be applied nor was intended to be applied. It's interesting how KW seems to lose site of those things as he leans more and more liberal.

I'm right and he should simply accept that.

7. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    from this thread

Can you buy birth control pills/patches over the counter? Or are they like doctor perscribed?

Doctor prescribed. They can be prescribed for things other than just birth control, if she's concerned about letting her parents know - I've been on them for 4 years, and I didn't get on them for pregnancy reasons. Some reasons are lighter periods, period regulation, and acne. If the parents still say no, she can go to planned parenthood for a consultation and talk about what her options are.

A friend of mine and her boyfriend didn't use a condom, and she wanted to take birth control pills, just in case. But she wasn't sure whether they could be purchased at a drug store or not.

:mad: let me guess. abstinence only sex-ed?

Yeah, it's too late for that now. If it's been less than 5 days she can get emergency contraceptives. They effectiveness goes down drastically after 72 hours, but they can be effective for up to 5, so it's worth a shot. She can get information on it by calling 1-800-not-2-late. It is also only available by prescription.

For future reference, hormonal BC is only effective AFTER you start taking it. If you start on the first day of your period it is effective immediately, and if you are a Sunday-starter it is effective in 7 days. Most doctors will tell you to wait a month to have unprotected sex, though, just in case. And keep in mind that hormonal BC doesn't do anything about STDs - using male or female condoms are the best way to prevent those.

8. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    Oh, lordy. This thread

Okay, the sex issue. I'm guessing you knew she wasn't a virgin when you started dating? And you were okay with that? Then you should drop that issue. Because there really isn't anything you can do about it now. ESPECIALLY if you guys are having sex, because that's totally hypocritical. Saying that it's okay for her to have sex with you but not with the other people she did is just wrong. So she has more experience than you - get over it.

I'm not completely unfeeling. I've been in that situation before. I AM in that situation. But I knew the situation when we started dating, so I'm not going to start whining about it now. My feelings about my boyfriend have nothing to do with what he may or may not have done with previous girlfriends. He's not with them now - he's with me. And that's that.

Yes, it may be weird that these people are still around her life, but again, I'm guessing she didn't just spring this on you? It's natural to be jealous - but don't go overboard. It sounds like SHE'S the one that broke up with HIM. So, seriously. There's nothing to worry about.

9. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    I'm not completely unfeeling.

No, just unthinking.

10. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm not even quite sure what that's supposed to mean, Jim.

11. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    this post

Actually, yes. That's exactly what He said.

"And so I say to you you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." -Matthew 16: 18-19

Actually, no. Jesus didn't speak English - when he was talking to Peter, he was probably speaking in Aramaic. And when it was first written down (years later, by Matthew, who wasn't there at the time) it was written in Greek. So that is, at the minimum, the third translation of what he said.

So, no. That's not exactly what he said.

12. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    General advice, from what I remember, is that you start the pill at least a month before you plan on being sexually active.

If you start on the first day of your period, you are protected from day 1 - if you are a Sunday starter, you are protected 7 days after starting.

Sil, while it is great that it is helping with your periods. the Pill is not 100%, I know plenty of women that have gotten pregant on the pill.
    When used correctly, the pill is 99.8% effective. If you know plenty of women who have gotten pregnant while on the pill, they probably weren't all using it correctly.

13. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    http://boards.theforce.net/Your_Jedi_Council_Community/b10008/17262216/?34

James Woods the actor comes from my High School.

14. bburditt

bburditt Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 8, 2004
    *waves to the JC*

15. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Jane Pauly & Jeff George went to my high school.

Dave Letterman & Garfield creator Jim Davis went to my college.

16. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Hello AmazingB! You are looking rather dapper this evening!

Amazing.

17. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Why thank you AmazingB, you're looking pretty snazzy yourself!

Oh, you're too kind!

Amazing.

18. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    I'm pretty sure they outlawed schizophrenic posting when they enacted the quite logical three thread rule.

19. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    It's okay when I do it.

Amazing.

20. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    trace, my intention was to compare extravagant mod titles with extravagant icon artist titles. if one is not allowed, then the other should not be allowed.

21. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Tracy: The basic fact is we should have developed technology and dropped oil and gas cars long ago. We did not in an effort to appease our old friends at the oil companies. Jimmy Carter was not a good leader (please lets not debate him again) However when he was President he wanted to develop new technologies and people laughed at him. The fact is if we had we would have so many less problems today.

The solution to the problem is not to drill our wilderness!
    It is not to bring an onslaught of drills into the tranquil areas of Alaska. We should NOT have to invade our natural wonders to keep our cars going. Nor should we have to depend on middle eastern countries! What we need is better technology. Better Hybrid cars, better solar cars, better electric cars etc etc.

-Seldon

22. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    http://boards.theforce.net/Literature/b10003/17301843/?27

Where do I begin?
    Aside from the fact that it has a weak story, one dimmensional evil characters and all of that,
    The major reason is that it strays away from the very idea of Star Wars.

George has said oh so many times that Star Wars is the fight between good and evil. But most of all it is a story of humanity and how frail and easily corrupted we can be. It is about our decisions and the way we live. Vader is not a robot or an alien. He is a human and that says a lot. Palpatine is a human, Padme and Obi-Wan are human. They make mistakes, they have victories but in the end it is the human story. IT is about love, corruption, power, and how humans handle it. A story using mythological formats to tell a new heroic story.

NJO has nothing to do with the love and spirit which Lucas put into his films. NJO is black vs white with no gray in the middle. IT is all powerful aliens against all powerful Jedi. This is not a human story. This is not a story about how we make mistakes. This is a cheap SF story more along the lines of a new episode of Enterprise. It tells stories of aliens from other galaxies spreading chaos.

This is not the Star Wars of Lucas.
    It is not the Star Wars of Timothy Zahn.
    For Christsake it is not even the Star Wars of Kevin J. Anderson.

Put Simply it is not even Star Wars.
    It strays so far from the vision of Lucas that it is no longer the same story.

I mean it puts Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Lando and a few others into a new world. It is another galaxy with some old characters and some lightsabers.

In my opinion NJO is not even good SF. IT contradicts SW in its vision and it is not even innovative SF. It is trite and in my opinion very dull.

-Seldon

23. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Happy birthday, Kasey!

AYBABTU

24. carmenite42

Jul 21, 2003
    what rhett said, Kasey!

25. Darth-Seldon