main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Midiclorian bashers bash no more.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by LazyDivey98, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LazyDivey98

LazyDivey98 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    If one were to watch the OT and think about it a little bit(a stretch for the bashers) it is quite clear some aspect of force sensitivity must be biological. Why else would it be a forgone conclusion that the son of Skywalker would be strong with the Force? Why would biology matter....well one aspect of the Force is indeed biological. So if you pay attention it should have come as no surprise when watching TPM that midi's existed. But even if you don't like the fact the Force is partly biological, think of this.

Nowhere in Ginn's speech to Anakin does he claim the midi's are the only factor. A Jedi must still have the deepest commitment(spirit) and a serious mind.
    The Force therefore emcompasses all three: mind, body, and soul.

I'll never understand why so many people flame this movie, particularly for creating the midi's in SW mythology. They have always functioned as part of the story, even in the beloved OT. Making it possible for Anakin to pass part of his strength down to his son.

Does anybody else actually like the midi idea?

Strilo edit: I am locking this for two reasons. One, we have a Midichlorians Discussion Thread. Two, your comment that thinking would be a stretch for bashers is a borderline flame and as such is not acceptable. Next time it's a ban.

2. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    No, not really.

3. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Meh... worked fine without it.

4. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    The Force therefore emcompasses all three: mind, body, and soul.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. I always thought of Force-potential as multi-factorial. Midiclorians are just one of those many factors. They are easy to measure, which is why the Jedi use them to test recriuts.

5. Joeykin_Starrunner

Joeykin_Starrunner Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2005
    I never understood why so many people bashed the midi chlorian idea. I have no problem with it at all, for the same "body, mind, and spirit" reason that you stated, LAZY.

Besides, there are way more important glaring and annoying things to find wrong with the Phantom Menace than midi chlorians.

6. CorranH

CorranH Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2002
    The problem I have with midi clorins is that they bring you out of the star wars story into a more "real" world setting..i mean the reason I like star wars is the sheer escapist feeling, its so different than our day to day logic compelled lives that we feel we always have to explain everything..Some things should just not have to be explained, better left mysterious. Especially in fiction.

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    What amazes me is how the idea gets bashed constantly, yet nobody points that it would be impossible and illogical to have the Jedi setup as they are in the PT *without* an idea like midichlorians. Force users powerful enough to become Jedi are a very miniscule percentile of the population in a galaxy of millions of planets with vast populations on each one. With only ten thousand Jedi within the Order, stretched thin across the galaxy defending the Republic, there is nobody within the Order who really has time to check out every instance of a birth within the galaxy. It is *impossible.* More importantly, we have seen time and time again, that, exluding cases like the Skywalkers, Force sensitivity is not something a Jedi can just "pick up." If they focus on it, they might feel something, but generally, only trained Jedi have force signatures powerful enough to send out signals, and only when another Jedi is focusing on that familiar force pattern. Additionally, there would be no way to measure how much potential a baby might have by just trying to feel how power they are. It simply cannot be done.

Therefore, we *must* assume that for the Republic to have a way to find all force sensitives in an efficient, timely manner as the PT suggests, there *must* be a way to test for it without without the necessity of a trained Jedi on hand, and portable and simple enough that it can be a test given throughout the Republic within the first few days of birth. And the only way to explain that is to come up with an idea like midichlorians. People can bash it all they want, but it would be positively illogical not to have it included.

8. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Why else would it be a forgone conclusion that the son of Skywalker would be strong with the Force?

It's not.
    Vader sensed his power in the Death Star trench, and the Emperor presumeably saw his power through the Force.

9. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    [Chaotic_Serenity]: "People can bash it all they want, but it would be positively illogical not to have it included."

I disagree. We don't need to have everything explained in a fairy tale fantasy, in fact they work better when we don't. They don't explain how lightsabers work, or how hyperdrive works, or shields, or droids, and I'd have no problems if they didn't explain how this aspect of the force works. They did need some way of convincing Qui-Gon (and by extension the audience) that Anakin had this huge force potential given the prophecy of the chosen one, and they used midi-chlorians to do this. I wish they would have used another device, but it's not going to kill me. I still love the film, but not this aspect of it.

10. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I hate midichlorians.

11. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Why else would it be a forgone conclusion that the son of Skywalker would be strong with the Force?

The idea of power passing through bloodlines does not need microscopic things that dictate this power, it's just simply passed on to the next generation. Eg. the Messiah, descendant of David, does not need a high "Davidichlorians" count to claim to be The Annointed One, he just needs to claim descent from King David, full stop. Thus we don't see the High Priests of the Temple testing Jesus' blood to verify his claims, hmmm?

Similarly, the son of Skywalker needs simply be the son of Skywalker, no need for a high midichlorian count. No need for blood analysis. The power/Force potential is simply passed through the bloodlines, it's a basic theme in myths/fantasy.

The whole midichlorian thing just gives the impression that the Force is nothing but the workings of microbes, thus destroying the mystical aspect of the Force as presented in the OT. At least, that's how I look at it. And that's why I hate the midichlorians.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.