main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MidWest Midwest Regional Meeting Planning thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I know StLFF has been throwing this idea around for a while, and after talking with Darth_Djinn tonight about the same thing, it's time for this post.

I'm going to post this in all the Midwest regional forums, but I'm hoping to use this as our planning thread to keep everything together.

Thanks to Djinn, for lighting the fire under me to get this going, and for all his future help I'm counting on :)

Official Info for the Regional Meeting

* Date: June 9-11, 2006

* "Official" hotel: St. Louis Adam's Mark
    ** Our rooms are under the Star Wars Fan Force block. Single and double rooms are $99, triple and quad rooms are $119. To book your reservation, call 314-241-7400. If there are any questions, our contact at the hotel is Jessica Ellebracht (<a href="mailto:jellebracht@adamsmark.com">jellebracht@adamsmark.com</a> 314-342-4616 direct line. The room block is listed as Star Wars FanForce, please be sure to specify that when calling.
    Total rooms left in block:: 17

Agenda:
    * BBQ
    * StL tour
    * Children's Hospital visit
    * ??

2. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Summer? I'm in.

3. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Sounds like a good idea!

We would need to find someplace that would have us... LOL.

Columbia sounds good. I say that because I have been there many times, and I have been to KC only once.

Hey, maybe we could do this around the time the KC Renaissance Faire is going on... That would be fun going in SW costumes there. It got a big enough result at the St. Louis Ren Faire when I wore mine. ;)

4. Darth_Djinn

Darth_Djinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2004
    The reason we were talking a neutral location is so we could more centralize it so no one has to go extremely far... Over the course of the next few months we should get a real good idea of where and exactly when.

5. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    I hate to say this but our Ren fest is one of the worst in the country and you probably be dissappointed. Also Our Ren Fest is in Sept-Oct so that doesn't work for the whole summer Idea.

I'm up for Columbia definitely. But that doesn't seem fair to the IL people. Especially if the Chicago folks want to join us.

6. Darth_Djinn

Nov 16, 2004
    I tend to agree our Ren fest is not one of the better ones out there (don't get me wrong I enjoy it) I have just been to much better ones

That is why I would recommend Jeff City cause I figured it would be closer for the IL people to come.

7. Nikana-

Nikana- Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 13, 2005
    I think this would be loads of fun. Being a relative newbie CR, I'd love to talk to other CRs and get ideas and such. (Not that I don't get plenty already from the boards :) ) Personally, I'd just need a good amount of notice so I could get a ride. I love my car but I don't think it's up to a long trip, hehe. But yeah, let's do it!

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Well, if we're wanting to invite Chicago along (which I'm all for I have several friends up there) St. Louis would be even time wise between them and KC. You both are about 5 hours away driving time. We would have the benefit of StLFF's knowledge of the area and some of us could even put up people for a night or two if need be, or point everyone to the better priced hotels. Just a thought. I'm not going to press for everyone to come here as it's not totally fair.

9. Darth_Djinn

Nov 16, 2004
    Actually that might not be such a bad idea if we want to centralize the proceedings.

10. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    STL is in the middle of things...

About the Ren Faire, I have heard that too, but being as I have never been there, I wanted to keep an open mind about it. :) People call it Medieval Mall or something like that...

11. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    If you want to accommodate Chicago more, but keep it on neutral territory, a place to consider might be Kirksville, MO. GsWookie is more the expert on that town though.

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Where abouts is that and is there anything out there?

13. gandalfbmg

May 16, 2002
    Kirksville is north of Columbia, and is probably the biggest city in NE MO. It's on US Hwy 63 (which goes N-S) and MO Hwy 6 (E-W). It's the home of Truman State University, which is were GsW went, and why she could chime in better than I about it's suitability. I just suggested it for it's geographic location, she (or someone who'd been there more than twice, which is my count) can better speak to what's there. It's a college town though so I imagine we'd not be driven out of town as wierdos at any rate.

Edit: Never mind... I just talked to her and her words were "if it's there then I'm not going... I don't want to ever go back to that town". I guess there's nothing there but a Wal Mart and a crappy hotel. So... back to the other options...

14. GsWookie

GsWookie Jedi Master star 1

Feb 4, 2005
    There's nothing in Kirksville but the college and a Wal-Mart. If I had to vote, I'd pick St. Louis. There's lots to do there.

15. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    We'd be happy to host it this coming year, but keep the options open to move it to different cities each year.

I know all the free attractions and the nightlife round these parts. Hotels we would be able to scout out for everyone and work on getting a block deal.

Djinn and I were thinking of making it a weekend long event. No sense driving up to 5 hours one way for a single day event. Renting out part of Forest Park will be best I think for a picnic if we want to go that route. It's a little pricey but with as many of us as there will be the cost could easily be handled. I'll see if my crew is willing to handle that all anyway because we don't have to spring for hotels. The other day can be devoted to sightseeing and the like.

I would be willing to arrange airport/train/bus pick-ups for people as well as meeting people in cars and leading them to the hotels.

16. Darth_Mordus

Darth_Mordus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    I like the idea of St. Louis as the meeting spot. It is basically in the middle of everything and I would be able to convince the wife to go. LOL

I'm in no matter what though.

17. Darth_Djinn

Nov 16, 2004
    ***NEW INFO***

The current timeframe being shot for is the end of June 2006.

***END NEW INFO***

one of the events I had the idea for was to get everyone that had a costume together on the Sunday morning and visit a childrens hospital (for approx an hour or so as to not disrupt the workings of the hospital) Jedi_Dajuan has stated that she knows which hospital so I am leaving that up to her.

18. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I'm in as well. And I am willing to put up and pick up some people if needed. Let me know if any help planning is needed. :D

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    What do you guys all think about inviting all the FanForces with in a 5 hour driving radius of StL? KC and Chicago are both within 5 hours of here, and Indy I think is even closer.

Tonight when I get home I'm going to bug Chicago and the Indiana FanForces if that's agreed upon.

20. gandalfbmg

May 16, 2002
    What about Des Moines? Since I spend time up there, I'd like to get to know some of them. Omaha is just about 4 hours from St. Louis as well I think.

21. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Well my geography sucks. I'm inviting the whole midwest then! I'll change the title of the thread and I will start posting it in the other forums. The worse that could happen is they all can't make it, but why be exclusionary? Looks like I'm going on a spamming spree! :D

22. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    Omaha is over 7 hours away from St. Louis:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?spn=5.078561,9.514160&saddr=Omaha,+NE&daddr=St.+Louis,+MO&hl=en

And the same is true with Des Moines:

http://maps.google.com/maps?spn=5.078561,9.514160&saddr=Omaha,+NE&daddr=St.+Louis,+MO&hl=en

Actually no it doesn't. ;)

23. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    That sounds like a great meeting a lot of fun I will see what I can do it would be nice to see a lot of fans from around the midwest (I'm from the Madison Fan Force). It is a long way off though so I can plan. Thanks for the invite.

Forcebewitya!

24. ROGUE_NINER

ROGUE_NINER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2002
    I'm also from the Madison Fan Force.
    It sounds like a good plan but I'm not sure I could make it

25. lazer310

lazer310 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 23, 2000
    This sounds likes an excellent idea! I will clear my schedule for June of 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.