main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini-Tournament: Favourite CGI Character! ? WINNER -?-?- YODA!

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Tyi-Maet_Nefer, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Davey Jones!

2. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
  3. Jedi_Lady21

Jedi_Lady21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2006
    Davy Jones

4. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
  5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    GRAND FINAL: Yoda VS Davy Jones

The winner of Census' sixteenth tournament is...

Yoda (Star Wars) 19 votes -? WINNER
    vs
    Davy Jones (Pirates: DMC) 15 votes

***YODA***
    [image=http://members.iinet.net.au/~garratts/tyi/MasterYoda.jpg]

Thank you all for your participation. Without you, this tournament couldn't have happened! I had a great time hosting this, and I look forward to seeing you all in the next tournament. Speaking of which, the nominations thread should be up in 48 hours.

:D

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Huh, I actually didn't expect that - or at least much closer. Yo da man, Yoda.

but really, the true winner is ILM :cool:

7. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Congratulations, Yoda... or better to the makers of Yoda. ;) :D

Somehow it is hard to win against a SW character/thing/whatever, but if it happens, it means something. Let's see what happens in the next tournament with SW. ;)

8. Star_Wars_Freak_2006

Star_Wars_Freak_2006 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Davy Jones' look was very consistent; he always looked realistic. In some shots Yoda did not, specifically in the Jedi Council shots and the ones on Kashyyyk. The Order 66 scene with him clutching his chest and holding his forehead needed to be much better if the scene was meant to be so powerful, but his obvious CGI-ness really took away from that scene IMO. My favorite shots of Yoda are during his "consumed by Darth Vader" speech in the Jedi Temple.

9. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

I actually felt that Yoda was very consistent in each film. He looked better in ROTS than in AOTC, but I didn't think he looked less than he should in any part of those films in particular. I actually felt that the Order 66 scene was so powerful because of how real he looked, at least as real as something like Yoda could possibly look.

I didn't go for Davy Jones because I felt that he wasn't as difficult for ILM to create. The creators had a baseline from the OT, and in my eyes they completely nailed Yoda in AOTC and ROTS. He looks very similar to the puppet except for the fact he may look slightly younger in the PT. We also saw a lot more emotion out of Yoda, and the final close-up of Yoda taking on Sidious with the lightning reflecting in his eyes always impresses me.

Either character was deserving, and Gollum probably was as well but I think the majority got this one right.

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Woohoo for Yoda!!!

11. stiger1

stiger1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2007
    I didn't go for Davy Jones because I felt that he wasn't as difficult for ILM to create.
    With all due respect EMPEROR_WINDU have you watched this? http://www.ilm.com/theshow/
    If you haven't please do, because it is amazing what ILM can do with a human being playing a CGI character. Go to the title called "EXPERIENCE" because it will show you how ILM made Davy Jones from Bill Nighly's movements and his expressions. Its amazing to watch, but as TwiLeJedi said its a win for ILM. With what they did with Davy Jones and company ILM reinvented the movie industry yet again. Lets hope the academy will honor ILM this time for the accomplishments they did on DMC. And I'm not trying to discredit what ILM did with Yoda either because that is amazing work also.

12. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Woo Hoo yay Yoda! I had a great time participating in this mini tournament!

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    yay for spite votes taking the crown away from Davey Jones. The results might say that Yoda won, but in my mind Gollum will always be the true winner of this tournament. :p

Can't wait till the next tournament.

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Here's a random fact for you all. The average amount of votes for each round was 24.36. Thanks guys!

15. Star_Wars_Freak_2006

Jan 28, 2004
    Gollum had his ups and downs like Yoda. Gollum's eyes always bothered me, but his skin was amazing.

16. Star_Wars_Freak_2006

Jan 28, 2004

The scene where Anakin is appointed to the Council and it is decided that Yoda will go to Kashyyyk Yoda definitely is obviously CG. For whatever reason I felt like in some scenes he didn't have enough shadows on him or something, like in Kashyyyk. He never looked realistic to me on Kashyyyk, and also on the Tantive.

And Davy Jones was more than likely a bigger pain in the ass than Yoda, a TON of crap went into making him realistic, and it shows.

17. Mayor_Adam_West

Mayor_Adam_West Jedi Master star 2

Aug 22, 2006
    Crap, I missed voting in the last round. But my pick won anyway so its cool.

I think Yoda really deserved this one too, there was so much potential to screw him up and anger hoards of fans but ILM did a fantastic job. Never once in AOTC and ROTS did I feel like I was looking at a CGI character. Davy was definatly impressive as well. If he'd have won I wouldn't be too upset either. I'm just glad Gollum lost to Davy Jones. Like someone else said in this thread, his eyes bothered me too, and his transformation scene looked terrible.

Anyway, go ILM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.