main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Misconceptions about Canada

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Entil`Zha, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthina_Christine

Darthina_Christine Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    HAHA! these are SOO funny... We Canadian's have a great sense of humour (remember the "u"!)

Now a quote from the Silicon Queen Herself: (I'm not sure if someone else has put this on here.... but my penpal told me this)
    "I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada."
    - Britney Spears, Pop Singer

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    About what I'd expect her to say.

3. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    She's making a good use of her brains though...

4. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    sadly, Americans are typically portrayed well...like her...but...well that isn't right.

5. Darthina_Christine

Darthina_Christine Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    I'd have to agree with you there... It's really rather pathetic that the American stereotypes are rather... lets say *not very complimentary* Besides I'm sure that there's lots of nice Americans out there!

~Christine :)

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Actually, I think Americans are portrayed more like Bush.

"More and more of our exports are coming from overseas."

You gotta love that.

7. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Nice quote Chris. :cool:
    If I was Bush (not a chance) I would kill my speech writter ;) 8-}

8. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I think that would be a mistake. I mean, look at the great things that that speech writer has put out so far.

"We will not allow anyone to use the name of God to justify their actions. God bless America."

If not for the speech writer, we'd have things like this:

Daer DAD,

HAPPY FATHERS DAYY TO YOU! I hope taht yuo are doing just alright in retirment, and am happy. Have NO FEAR! i will have this little terrrororism thingy all wrapped up in no time! I would liek 2 thank yuo for pushinng me through life to be the absollute BESTEST PESIDENT EVAR! well, not as good as YOU, i maen come ON! who else can send a bunch of militery troopers and big bad tanks to go kill bunches of IRACKIANS? YOU! TAHT IS CORRECT! Haha, I wuv woo dad!

-George "Lil'G" Bush
    PRESIDUNT OF THE UNITED STAYTS

DISCLAIMER: If the above post offends you, do not look at it. Thank you.

9. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    I lvoe teh dissclaimmere

10. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Canadians like Hockey huh?. Ok, what do you guys think are the factors that seperate you from being America's Northern twin ;)

<walks back rnning away from Canadian flak ;))

11. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    "Ok, what do you guys think are the factors that seperate you from being America's Northern twin?"

I've given this a lot of thought, and this list is by no means complete. I'm sure many will not agree with all my points, but here they are, all the same. :)

1) Canadians generally know more about America than Americans know about their own country.

2) Canadians resent Americans for not educating themselves about their largest neighbour and trading partner, but we're no longer surprised by that level of ignorance when we run into it.

3) Canadians are generally speaking, more polite than Americans in everyday situations. Sometimes even to a fault.

4) Canadian politicians generally yield to American pressure: lowering the value of our dollar, ceasing the manufacturing of the Arrow, a superior fighter/bomber, etc. American politicians laugh at Canadian "pressure", like asking them for a public apology for killing our soldiers in friendly fire.

5) The Canadian Military is respected for their efficiency and ingenuity, but they are generally not feared by other countries. The American Military is feared by the entire world, including their own allies (see above).

6) When travelling abroad, Canadians are never so arrogant as to assume that a shop owner would, much less should, accept Canadian money. We take the trouble to exchange our money into the local currency.

7) Canada recognizes and respects the sovereignty of other nations.

8) Canada has been and is currently dealing with a rift within it's own borders, namely the Quebec separation issue. However, the situation will likely be resolved without a civil war.

9) Americans have "the great melting pot" of ethnic diversity. Canadians have "the mosaic" of multi-culturalism: the individual tiles and patterns can still be seen, and yet the overall picture is beautiful.

10) Americans believe "We are the World". Canadians believe "Tears are not Enough".

11) Americans are proud to be Americans. Canadians are happy to be Canadians.

12) Canadians have a head of state (HRM Queen Elizabeth II) who embodies nobility, grace and dignity. Americans have to rely on their government officials to exhibit this... poor buggers.

- Rani

12. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    1) Canadians generally know more about America than Americans know about their own country.

I'm not sure this is entirely true. However, we sure know more about the rest of the world than Americans do.

2) Canadians resent Americans for not educating themselves about their largest neighbour and trading partner, but we're no longer surprised by that level of ignorance when we run into it.

We resent them for a lot of things. You try living in the shadow of a superpower that doesn't give a crap about other nations.

3) Canadians are generally speaking, more polite than Americans in everyday situations. Sometimes even to a fault.

True. If you bump into a Canadian, he will apologize to you, even though it was your fault.

4) Canadian politicians generally yield to American pressure: lowering the value of our dollar, ceasing the manufacturing of the Arrow, a superior fighter/bomber, etc. American politicians laugh at Canadian "pressure", like asking them for a public apology for killing our soldiers in friendly fire.

Actually, politicians lowered the value of the CAD because it promotes tourism and exports. $0.60 US is about where it should be. Of course, if you like vacationing in America, you might not agree.

5) The Canadian Military is respected for their efficiency and ingenuity, but they are generally not feared by other countries. The American Military is feared by the entire world, including their own allies (see above).

We used to be among the best. We still are great, but small. I'd say we're an ill-equipped cadre. We have the spirit and the training. We need the equipment and the numbers. Time and again we defeat the Americans and other nations in war games, when equal numbers are participating.

6) When travelling abroad, Canadians are never so arrogant as to assume that a shop owner would, much less should, accept Canadian money. We take the trouble to exchange our money into the local currency.

You forgot to mention that we wear our country's flag on our backpack too, so we don't get shot at, blown up, and have other unpleasant things happen to us, if we are mistaken for an American.

7) Canada recognizes and respects the sovereignty of other nations.

Amen. America recognized the sovereignty of America. The sovereignty of any other nation is just a pesky annoyance that makes it more difficult for them to achieve their goals.

8) Canada has been and is currently dealing with a rift within it's own borders, namely the Quebec separation issue. However, the situation will likely be resolved without a civil war.

That's pretty much done. The PQ is finished. Separatism is finished. They lose more and more votes every election.

9) Americans have "the great melting pot" of ethnic diversity. Canadians have "the mosaic" of multi-culturalism: the individual tiles and patterns can still be seen, and yet the overall picture is beautiful.

Amen.

10) Americans believe "We are the World". Canadians believe "Tears are not Enough".

True.

11) Americans are proud to be Americans. Canadians are happy to be Canadians.

Well, some of us are proud. We're not arrogant about it though. When's the last time you heard a Canadian say "God bless Canada"?

12) Canadians have a head of state (HRM Queen Elizabeth II) who embodies nobility, grace and dignity. Americans have to rely on their government officials to exhibit this... poor buggers.

"Wordshipp mee I ame Emporer Bush!!!"

13. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    I'm Proud to be Canadian, and happy to not be American. :p.

oh, and AT60, i'm stealing our idea. If the above post offends you, don't read it.

14. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    For me, it's more like this: I'm happy to be Canadian, and proud to not be a US resident/citizen. ie. I would favour most countries over the US, but I love Canada!

Oh, and since we're venting here...you may have noticed that I don't use the word "American" to describe a person from the US. Truly, an "American" is a person living in either continent of America (North and South). I have as much right to be called an "American" as anyone from the states, but I don't want that anymore, because the title has been tainted by narrowing it to one country.

If anyone is offended by this, I'm sorry, but I feel like this is the right thread to say it. I am not slamming anyone from the US, but rather the arrogance that I see in everything about that country as a whole. There definitely is a serious lack of global perspective here. And if anyone from the US is reading this, know this: the fact that you are showing an interest in a Canadian forum exempts you from this conglomeration of arrogance.

15. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    And if anyone from the US is reading this, know this: the fact that you are showing an interest in a Canadian forum exempts you from this conglomeration of arrogance.

I agree wholeheartedly. :)

Let me clarify the comment about being happy vs. proud...

Typically when Americans (or "denizens of the United States of America, whatever seems most politically correct to you) are asked how they feel about being American (United Statesian? Doesn't work, does it?), usually the first thing they list is "proud". Not just the run-of-the-mill flavour of patriotic-proud that most countries enjoy, but the hand-on-heart, Stars-and-Stripes-hanging-off-the-porch, shout-it-endlessly-to-the-world, Willie Nelson songs in-your-face, PROUD to be an American.

When Canadians are asked how they feel about being Canadian, usually the first thing they list is "happy". Some mean this to mean "I'm glad I'm living in this country and not in (insert undesirable location here)." Some mean "I'm feeling fortunate to be living in a country where quality of life, even life itself, takes precedence over making a buck." And others, like myself, mean "I'm happy in my country and with my country as a whole and I have true patriot love for Canada."

- Rani

16. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Ya know, even though I've heard it all before, it doesn't cease to sting any less. Sometimes I think I almost prefer my previous ignorance of most Canadian feelings, then knowing what I do now. I'm not even gonna bother to defend anything else, cause then I'll just take on that arrogant, look at me American attitude that everyone in the states seems to have. I'll just leave it at that.

17. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Tammy: If you will not be turned, then you shall be destroyed. :p ;)

Besides, we don't hate denizens of the USA. We just wish Bush and a few others in his administration (who many believe to be the true Axis of Evil) would eat more pretzels. :D

Oh, and we don't like the arrogant ones either. You know who you are. "We're the greatest! Canada Junior should worship us! Let's go bomb another defenceless country! Yeehaw!"

As long as you're not a war-monger or a Canada hater, chances are, you'd get along just fine with Canadians.

18. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    I realize that, Chris, but how do you think it feels to me when comments even about my government are thrown around like that? And Ryan and I have had his whole discussion a few times before, and nothing good has ever come of it. Oh, never mind. I'm just gonna shut up now before I get in trouble.

19. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    how do you think it feels to me when comments even about my government are thrown around like that?

It shouldn't bother you too much. I'm as patriotic as they come, but I've critisized the Canadian government on several occasions.

It's not like you and the Emperor are friends, so what does it matter to you?

20. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    LOL...I may never have met him, but he's still my President, stinker...

21. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    VIVE LA FRANCE et VIVE LES USA et
    quelquefois VIVE la Canada... :)

I love [face_love] Pres. Bush et President Chirac!

22. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Actually, it's not the "les USA" in French. It's "les Etats-Unis."

23. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    los Estados Unidos ;)

24. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Je sais Admiral, j'etais amusante...hahhahahaa, je pense que tu peux rigoler quelquefois. La vie est trop vites etre serieux toujours! :)

25. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I'm not always serious. Just with certain things, and certain people. I'm not serious with friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.