main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending September the First

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Liz Skywalker, Sep 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    These all sound quite intelligent suggestions for the JCC, but can we keep them "reasonable"?

What I mean by "reasonable" is that any "micromanagement" of JCC will inevitably be doomed to failure in my opinion, as the list of "rules" would become to large to instinctively follow. (e.g. "You can post a "I have reached 5K" but not "I have reached 1K" providing you've been here 12 months but not 18...")

If we keep them as "rules of thumb" then we give the mods leeway to act in a sensible manner with these things.

Now, maybe that would require a little more justification then a simple "Broke Rule 1234.152: Paragraph B" on the part of the moderators, but I think it may be worth it.

Don't you think?

UKS

2. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    I agree with UKS.

3. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    But Wait. The JCC does stand for Jedi Council Community right? Then why are many social threads deemed wrong? What "community" doesn't tell each other stuff, gossip, or say "how you doing?" Them name needs to be changed if threads like the "Blue Yoda" or "Skystation" can't be so. Although I think there are already enough, and we should close any new social thread efforts.(except for maybe special holiday ones)

4. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Do we really need to go over the social thread issue again? It's being discussed here, here, and probably in several other threads.

The point isn't that social threads are wrong. The point is that there needs to be rules and guidelines in order to deal with them somehow.

You used the BYS and Skystation as examples. But why do you need them both when most of the members of the Skystation also post in the BYS thread? Is that not redundant? Is the fact that the Skystation is full of "Hi!" "Bye!" "Anybody home?" type replies really building a community?

In my most humble of opinions: no.

5. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    There should be a distinction between those that intend to derail (ie, purposeful), and those that accidently have it happen.

If it's someone saying information that they've said in tons of other threads, including making its own thread about it (i.e. I've never been kissed, and i'm 18) It's probably intentional. Especially if they post a picture and ask if they're really all that ugly to remain unkissed.

6. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    i agree with fate on this issue

7. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Thanks for the update. I hope the mods will be very active on 9/11 to keep things civil and not let them get out of hand. I think that is the best thing they can do for the boards that day.

8. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah...I';m telling you, we need a dating forum. I don't see what harm it could do, we already have about every other bloody forum known to man. And it sure woudl clean up the JCC. I really like giving (as well as getting :p) relationship advice, but it's getting rather absurd over there in the JCC.

And MaidenLumpé, thanks for what you said about getting over the 911 thing. I don't understand how some people can hold such ridiculous grudges. I think we should be thanking our lucky stars that the *rest* of the world seemed to stop hating America and graived for us that day, and not treat one person like they are a heinous criminal for not going with the flow.

And also, you don't even give him a chance. He's changed 180 degrees since then, but no one even bothers to find that out, because they are too busy harboring grudges over silly little things.

There, my rant for the day.

Oh, and looking forward to whatever is being planned for Halloween. I missed it last year :(

9. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Yeah...I';m telling you, we need a dating forum. I don't see what harm it could do, we already have about every other bloody forum known to man. And it sure woudl clean up the JCC. I really like giving (as well as getting ) relationship advice, but it's getting rather absurd over there in the JCC.

This is a Star Wars board, If you want dating advice call Ms. Cleo.

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Yeah...I';m telling you, we need a dating forum. I don't see what harm it could do

Because when the trolls showed up, we could probably just re-title the "Cybersex Forum." ;)

11. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I was under the impression we banned trolls? ?[face_plain]

:p

12. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    Have fun Griffz . ..

I say we make all the rolls march into the sunlight so they turn to stone. . .

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Hey GriffZ. I know you've been thinking of taking a break. I just didn't think it would be so sudden. PM me if and when you get a chance.

14. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    Cybersex Forum

Can we make it Official?

15. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    The one thing that really makes me uneasy about these updates is that it seems like the administration is just looking for new and more diabolical ways of banning nearly everyone on the boards. Seriously, is there anything we can't be banned for now?

16. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I'm fairly sure they can't ban you for viewing someone's profile, but I may be wrong and they can call it stalking ;)

I think if they were loooking for more excuses to ban everyone, we'd see a lot more people who disagree with them often banned.

¤Night

17. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "but it's getting rather absurd over there in the JCC."

That's no reason to create a whole forum for relationship advice. There's a whole load of TV and movie threads, but we don't have a general entertainment forum, nor do we need one. People should just use some common sense when posting their relationship advice threads, rather than asking for what most people would consider to be pretty obvious advice.

Amazing.

18. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    "The one thing that really makes me uneasy about these updates is that it seems like the administration is just looking for new and more diabolical ways of banning nearly everyone on the boards. Seriously, is there anything we can't be banned for now?"

Yes, they can't ban us for coming to the boards. or can they?

19. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I agree with Amazing, there are good reasons a dating/relationship board just isn't feasible:

1) When the going gets tough, do all we do is throw more boards at it?
    2) If this policy keeps up, JCC will literally have nothing but spam.
    3) There is little good reason for a Star Wars message board to have such a forum. Go to a board system that specializes in it. They probably have a lot more experts and whatnot anyway.
    4) Come on now, I can see the articles: "Star Wars Geeks so Loveless they need a Forum for Dating Advice!"

While granted the 4th is more of a salve for our all-ready-too-infringed-on collective ego, the points still stand.

¤Night

20. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I hope the idea of a dating forum isn't being taken seriously.

21. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    The Dating Forum would go wrong, and should never be done.

I don't think so, and I hope no body was actually seriously about that forum ;)

If people want it, go to Yahoo! Chat Rooms, and then there is your place to Cyber :p

That, or Private Messages.

22. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    How about turning off the computer, taking a shower, getting dressed nicely, introducing yourself to someone you are interested in, and try real human interaction.

23. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

i agree with DarthSapient on the issue...

24. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    As do I.

So, K_P, where do ya wanna meet? [face_mischief]

25. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

how about Target?

ohh.. and, to keep on topic... i still like the update!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.