main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Moderator/Administrator abuse of power v. Deletion/Moving

Discussion in 'Communications' started by _princess_leia_, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Talking about alleged 13-year old "n00ds" here is not any better than talking about them on the JCC. The reason people got so uncomfortable in the first place (the person's daughter's embarrassment) seems to be okay here...

2. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    I'm sorry. I will try to make my trolling more logically consistent in future :)

3. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Some of us were trying to talk around it so as not to keep dredging up the poor girl's personal life, but I guess the people who were so eager to rid the JCC of it are fine with it being discussed openly in here.

4. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Wow, really, this is crap. Don't you people have anything better to do with your lives than get your panties in a bundle over what happens on a message board?

5. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    ...welcome to Comms.

6. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Well Jada, you took the time to come in and comment, so....

And to be fair Rhonda, the most I alluded to the topic itself was that it regarded a keylog.

The point of this thread really has nothing to do with the subject matter of the topic itself, rather the practice of it being moved so quickly to lighten embarrassment of a mod, when I don't think the courtesy would have been afforded so quickly to a regular user, given the same circumstances.

I had no intention, and don't I'm guilty of, having brought the actual thread topic discussion from the JCC to continue discussing here.

7. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Fair enough,Juli. I don't think that thread is the only one that's been deleted (or moved, whatever the case may be), even in the past week or two. It happens, and has for awhile, but it's always based on mod/admin discretion. It could be that it was more about the subject (or subject matter) than the mod/author in question, since it did contain content that was deemed questionable by a lot of people, even people posting right here in this thread.

8. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Oh, I found it completely questionable, and quite frankly very irresponsible, but I have done everything I can to separate that with the topic at hand, because that is not the issue here.

The only reason that thread is even mentioned period, is because the argument is that some people don't think something of that subject matter would have been moved as fast, if at all, for a regular user. Locked? Yes. Edited? Yes. But, outright deleted? no

And seriously, you can say "moved" to correct me all you want, but even if it is just moved, it's still out of public view, so it may as well be deleted.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    But importantly, we still have a record of it. Deleting something entirely means that nobody can ever get to it and understand why it was moved, which is a very shady sort of thing. Here--while it might be out of public eyes--other members of the administration can take a look at the thread and confirm such actions were warranted. Surely if it were merely about embarassment, then editing it into oblivion instead of moving it would better accomplish that goal, no?

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've read the thread. Given the subject matter and the age of the child in question, I agree with the removal from a public forum. If the user who posted it had been a regular user and sent me a PM saying 'I was wrong to post this, what was I thinking?' I probably would have removed it as was done and given the YJCC forum mods a heads-up on it if they wanted to take any further action.

11. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    If its inappropriate enough to move out of the public eye shouldn't there have been some repercussions for posting it in the first place?

EDIT: Especially since the person concerned should know better?

12. ask-the-younglings

Jan 18, 2004
    Don't knock it until you've tried it! It may seem counter-intuitive, but panty-twisting is a great way to unwind. I take my hat off to the posters in this thread, and particularly salute those whose approach is logically contrary or contradictory. I invite you to join me in a self-congratulatory 'pat-on-the-back' for making the internet a better place :)

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not that sort of inappropriate. It's the sort that'd occur if you, say, posted your driver's license or something.

14. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Ok but given the nature of the subject matter (coercion and sexual conduct of a minor) I would think that alone crosses a significant line of conduct.

15. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    More so than posting your own personal information, such as a driver's license anyways.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not sure I follow, but if you want to continue this line of inquiry, you can PM me and I'll try to address your concerns. It seems a little off-topic for the purpose of this thread.

17. ask-the-younglings

Jan 18, 2004
    This has taken a really boring turn. Can't we turn it into a 'who would win in a fight between a halibut with a hand grenade and a mackerel with a mortar' thread?

On a semi-serious note, although I really don't care about this, the last post indicated a lock because people were passing moral judgement on the posting of the information and the keylogging instead of focusing on the righteousness of fishy indignation. Difficult to believe that his motivation was prompted by the sentiment of protecting a family member when that was exactly the sentiment he was attacking as unwarranted and irrelevant. But hey... I think logical inconsistency is something to be applauded :)

In other news, having heard that many old people die on the toilet, I've decided to install CCTV cameras in my grandparents' outhouse to check on their well-being.

18. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    Bingo.

19. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Thank you for that learned and well thought out and articulated opinion. I am sure that we will take all the facets of your elaborate response over this issue that others find meritorious into consideration.

20. ask-the-younglings

Jan 18, 2004
    I'm sorry but I disagree.

Is he suggesting that the game 'Bingo' is something we have to do in our lives that is better than getting our panties in a twist?

Or is he exclaiming 'Bingo' in the sense of one who has had all their numbers called in said game and is claiming the prize, either literally (which would seem somewhat irrelevant), or as a metaphor indicating that the post he quoted had encapsulated all the details required to win?

I think some kind of disambiguation is required. I understand that - without an exclamation mark - the former explanation seems more apt, however he may just be 'deadpan' or lazy with punctuation.

I suppose he could have stuck with the full stop (period) to leave the ambiguity there, but I'm not convinced that the poster in question is clever enough to do this.

I suggest that we install a key logger on his computers to garner clues as to his posting style, and the level of his linguistic sophistication, in order to clear up the mess he has left with his seemingly parsimonious message. This may also clear up the mystery of his signature. Is he aware of the irony that the statement 'Only a Sith deals in absolutes' is, itself, an absolute? Is he aware that his tone towards religion and rednecks is also thick with irony? In short, is he a rather cleverly conceived construct or just, well, something of an embarrassment to the internet? I often wonder the same kind of thing about the chap pictured below:

[image=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OTkJdjVLkrQ/SKWm8L4-srI/AAAAAAAAANg/KVSrkw5vycg/s400/behead%20those%20who%20say%20islam%20is%20violent.jpg]

I would also strongly suggest that we broadcast output from a live camera in the toilets of any elderly relatives he may have and monitor them closely in order to safeguard their well-being for reasons outlined in an earlier post.

21. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    IDK, I think he may be implying that there are people that post on a Star Wars board that do have better things to do with their time.

Which, let's be frank, is completely preposterous and just a tad hypocritical.

22. ask-the-younglings

Jan 18, 2004
    Preposterous is what it is, for sure. It is a disgrace and an outrage that he is even allowed onto the internet. I say we lobby his ISP to have him cut off. Bingo indeed.

Of course, the mods won't take any action. I mean, one of them calls himself Dingo and is probably flattered by the rhyme. I bet that's why he posted right afterwards with the (entirely unjustified, as I think I've made abundantly clear above) flattery.

The way this place is run is - frankly - a joke. I went to this site and randomly posted the word 'Bingo' and I was first warned, then banned immediately when I did it again. That's how to run a site on the internet. You guys could seriously learn a lot from Gala instead of pursuing your own twisted agenda with your modly powers.

23. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Well, way back in the day PreacherBoy banned a certain user and deleted all of their posts, seemingly or at least partially (the deleting all the posts thing), but I feel something that extreme wouldn't happen today. Man, the good ole' days...takes you back a bit.

If you're actually being serious, it's not nearly as bad as some of the stuff that's happened in the past. I think the mods/administration, on a large whole, does a pretty good job here, and have for a while. The moderators tend to be pretty fair. I didn't see the original post, haven't been around for a while. But the post sounds super creepy and I'd be glad if it was gone. It would happen at any other message board. Although, there'd probably be some consequences for the person posting it as well. Talking about spying on your underage daughter and her 'n00ds' or whatever...that just sounds like a completely inappropriate thread, which is why it was moved, but...I don't know the TOS like the back of my hand, but at the very least something like that is not appropriate to post. And a moderator/administrator should know better. We're all human, but, come on..

Okay, sorry to bump up a two month old thread, I just felt the need to say something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.