main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San A, TX MONSTER - MONSTER - CLONING FACILITY

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by ObiJuan70, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    I am thinking a permenant paint job is in order....Do you have some pics of your finished back-packs I can see for finishing touches as I complete mine?

2. ObiJuan70

ObiJuan70 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    Don't have a backpack just yet my friend, but I shall be getting one soon :)

Take Care :)

TD7012 - OUT !!!

John

3. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    OK Guys....I got my armor today....read thru the book once........took a big leap and assembled the aerorators...I am to scared to do anything else.....getting ready to read the book again! The instructions are kinda vague....I am hoping to go slow on this and ask a ton of questions.....if anyone has some words of advice....shoot it my way!!!

Thanks in advance!

4. ObiJuan70

Jan 1, 2001
    Rule #1 - TAKE YOUR TIME !!!

Rule #2 - ABS cement = BAD - Plumbers Goop = GOOD !!! (Plumber's goop is good for your armor parts and some areas of the helmet, otherwise, use hot glue for the helmet)

Rule #3 - TAKE YOUR TIME !!! - Give the glue TIME to bond

Rule #4 - buy clamps (there's a bag of 16 various sized clamps for $4 at Walmart, buy them :) )

Rule #5 - velcro is good in SOME areas but I recommend snaps over velcro where it calls for it.

- - - When I think of more - I shall post more rules but if you have questions - let us know :)

TD7012 - OUT !!!

John Laurel

5. StormLeader

StormLeader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2002
    Gecko_Fett, congrats on getting the armor. First off be patient and take your time during assembly. About the only thing I found the manual good for (besides kindling) were certain sections on helmet assembly - however I chose not to use ABS cement but hot glue for assembling the helmet. At this point I'ld suggest what John has touted - using Plumber's Goop (the magic stuff of armor assembly), as it won't destroy the ABS by melting and burning it the way ABS cement can. Plus if you need to readjust something you can separate the parts - not an easy process but it can be done....just ask John. However the Plumber's Goop needs time to set and cure and its most important to allow it this much needed time. Also an area of good ventalation is a great idea. In the end your patience will be rewarded.

As John has described in this forum thread we took our time and planned out each individual armor piece for assembly and trial fit. My suggestion is to begin with the helmet - bucket - as it will give you the motivation to get the rest of the armor assembled. I also strongly suggest that prior to full assembly you cut the frown teeth out and back the open areas with screen mesh material. Its a lot easier to do this mod prior to full assembly - again just be patient. We used the Dremel tool with a small size drill bit to drill numerous holes in the frown teeth area and then routed them out with the same drill bit in a kind of connect the dots approach. This allowed us greater control of the cut area and we later shaped the resulting holes with a small flat file set. Use the decal as a template for the cuts in the frown area making sure to cut into only the black sections of the frown as indicated on the decal. The next important helmet mod is to forget using the included bubble lenses - they are only decorative. If you want to see you need to go with a set of flat dark tinted lenses. About the most difficult part of helmet assembly is the helmet liner - I'ld suggest you work with at least another person to help in this area. I found it helpful to use small clamps to clamp the helmet liner to the dome prior to assembly and place it upon your head as your co-worker places the faceplate into position to see how it will fit. Make any adjustments and mark those well. Once satisfied with the placement of the helmet liner you can glue the liner in place. After that go on to assemble the rest of the helmet sections. Drill out the dimples on the ear pieces and then place them against the taped together face, dome and backplate of the helmet. Mark the hole area on the front and back helmet sections as they may not exactly line up with the molded dimples on these pieces. Then drill where marked. Assembly of the helmet shouldn't be too bad at this point.

Jim Marshall
    501st Stormtrooper TK-6411
    Star Garrison
    San Antonio, Tx

6. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Jim,
    Thanks for the post....Any suggestions on where I can get these flat lenses....EBAY?? One other question I have is...It appears in the book the biceps, forearms, calves and thighs are supposed to be secured with velcro...I have picked up the Super Extra Strength Double Duty velcro...is this going to hold??? I was under the impression that these pieces were glued. I also pick up the Plumbers Goop too. I am going to need to pick up some small plastic tip clamps also!

Thanks Guys!!!
    Jess

7. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    I have noticed that in some pictures of troopers buckets...the interior has been painted a dark color....what type of paint has been used for this?

-Jess

8. StormLeader

Oct 29, 2002
    Jess, good questions. As I said the manual leaves a lot to be desired. Velcro has its place as John and I have found but not on the front of the leg, thigh, and arm pieces. I glued the front of these parts together with Plumber's Goop and riged the back sections of these pieces with velcro for ease of donning and adjustment. I don't think its necessary to paint the inside of the helmet black or another dark color as the dark flat lenses I have are dark enough to hide my face or eyes even if the inside of the helmet reflects light to the face. Let me know if you have any further questions. Ebay is a place to start for those flat lenses also dark limo tint film over clear lexan works.

Jim Marshall
    Star Garrison
    San Antonio, Tx

9. jediscooby

jediscooby Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2003
    It is four weeks until halloween and really need some help getting my armor together. The only time I have to work on it is the weekends because I work until 10pm. Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

10. StormLeader

Oct 29, 2002
    Jason, feel free to contact me at stormleader501@hotmail.com. Hopefully we can be of help in getting you ready for the Hosp visit and Halloween.

Jim Marshall
    Star Garrison
    San Antonio, Tx

11. ObiJuan70

Jan 1, 2001
    I am off Thursday of this week and next week I should be off Sat & Sun . . .

Let me know if yall want to get together for Thur !!!

TD7012 - OUT !!!!

John Laurel

12. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Hey Guys!
    I need some advice on doing a armor mod here....If I need to trim the thigh pieces to be able to bend at the knee..and get a better fit at the top of the thigh (to darn tight!)..which side do I trim? Do I trim the upper or the lower part? Also, I need to trim the forearms and or biceps.....

Thanks
    Jess

13. StormLeader

Oct 29, 2002
    Jess, tough question but both John and I had to make this mod. First thing can you clamshell the thigh armor? In otherwords, can the thigh pieces close around your thighs? If not then prepare to use shims and or velcro to close the back. If you decide to cut along the top of the thigh pieces I'ld suggest trimming very little at a time along the top section - just be sure to mark shallow cuts following the contour of the top piece. Make sure to cut only about 1/4 of an inch at a time that way you control the amount of plastic cut and you won't take off too much too soon. Also I suggest to glue the front of the thigh pieces together before you make any cuts. That way you get an even look to your cuts. Then have someone help mark where to cut while you wear the thigh pieces. In the end I think it may be easier to cut the bottom as I found I just needed to cut and remove the bottom thigh detailed ridge and I'ld be fine. If you cut the bottom of the thigh pieces as John and I did - you wind up losing the molded detail of the thigh armor at the bottom. Not too much of an issue. I did just recently make a suitable replacement for the bottom thigh detail out of scrap ABS and it looks fine glued on but it wasn't necessary. I just did it to see what it would look like. If it would bother you then I'ld suggest leaving the bottom section alone and only make cuts to the upper section. Let me know how it goes.

Jim Marshall
    Star Garrison
    San Antonio, Tx

14. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Hey Guys!

I was reading some of the previous post and can across this post:

"Sizing and brainstorming took place this evening and the creation of some elastic shims in the back of Jim's Thigh pieces for comfort and flexibility."

Can you guys provide some pics what this looks like? How was it done? And the big question....how does it look when the thigh pieces are being worn?

Also, if I do cut back the ABS....what do you recommend I use....Dremel, scissors...ax? ;)

Jess

15. ObiJuan70

Jan 1, 2001
    Hey Jess, we used a sturdy pair of scissors to make the cuts to the thigh pieces, as for pics of the shims, I will see if Jim can get some pics together for ya :)

Take Care Buddy

TD7012 - OUT !!!
    John Laurel

16. StormLeader

Oct 29, 2002
    Jess, we scrapped the elastic shim idea as it just wasn't quite there. So we cut and tore them out - and learned just how good a hold the Plumber's Goop has. Amazing stuff - no need to fear parts falling apart on their own. I found that shims made of spare ABS or part of a thin plastic parking sign backed by a sheet of white vinyl with velcro worked best. This way I can open up the thigh pieces and put them on after I have my boots on and then close them. Much much easier to don the armor. I'll get John a pic showing the back of the thigh pieces.

Jim Marshall
    Star Garrison
    San Antonio, Tx

17. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    I am going to see if I cut back some length on the thighs to allow a little more bending at the knees...and with some luck...perhaps they will fit better. My left thigh is bigger than my right....I guess I work that leg out more than the other...I did a trial full fitting and I felt like the Tin Man all rusted up...I could not move! :p

Jess

18. bebo_lokk

bebo_lokk Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 2001
    I have some material to cut a few more pairs of "green" tinted flat lenses. Or, you can go by a welding supply shop and get a tinted grinding shield for about $5. Use your bubble lenses as a template. I believe that I also have some scrap pieces of white and black ABS setting around my garage somewhere if you need any extra to make shims with.

Buck
    TK-0506

19. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Buck,

Thanks for the offers....I was able to find the lenses from someone and I am using the strips from the belt as I am making a custom belt out of different materials.

Thanks
    Jess

20. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Does anyone have a schematic of how to wire the helmet fans? Also is there a parts list?

21. bebo_lokk

bebo_lokk Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 16, 2001
    Gecko_Fett - I've emailed you a decent reference picture for the wiring the fans. Hope it helps. I have theparts but haven't assembled them to my helmet yet.

Buck

22. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Thanks Buck! That is going to do the trick!!

23. robkun

robkun Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2002
    i saw the pics of both john and jim, and i say brethern that you guys did a very very good job on your armor. man you guys rock. congrats! i can't wait to see it in person as well as jason's armor. my hat goes off to you guys. hopefully others will follow in your footsteps. peace brothers

24. StormLeader

Oct 29, 2002
    Thanks for the kind words Rob. Glad to have met you on Sat and sorry to hear about your cat. I look forward to the Hospital visit and hope to see you there as well.

25. ObiJuan70

Jan 1, 2001
    Hey there Rob, thanks for chiming in buddy - we shall hopefully meet up at Plano :)

Take Care

TD7012
    John Laurel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.