main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit movie novelizations and what they have contributed to the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Jul 14, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'll start off by saying that they were the very first EU!

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Boba Fett's armour being similar to that of "evil warriors defeated by the Jedi during the Clone Wars" in the ESB novel (and, I think, called Mandalorian in tie-in material?) led to Marvel arcs about Mandalore, and carried on from there.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    ROTJ gave us the idea of the Emperor dying being linked to the collapse of the Imperial fleet at Endor

TPM gave us Darth Bane.

ROTS just gave us craploads of cool stuff.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The AOTC novelization had some interesting moments of Shmi's life with the Larses- before she was kidnapped. This may be what Tatooine Ghost was based on.

5. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    In the same way that Fett's Mandalorian armor mention in TESB novel led to the Marvel stuff etc., etc., the Bane backstory in TPM's novel led to the massive retcon whereby the backstory to the Valley of the Jedi where a Dark Jedi named Kaan fought a dude named Hoth from Dark Forces 2 was transformed into the final battle between Jedi and Sith and which led to the first of many erroneous pronouncements by Ki-Adi-Mundi.

Revanfan1 and darklordoftech like this.
  6. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Basically everything n ROTS is fantastic, much better than the movie.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Are the Sith mention in the Original trilogy outside of the novelizations? If so than they gave us the Sith and I think the Kessel mine also

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Jabba is humanish.
    Zuckuss is human.
    Owen is Obi-Wan's brother.
    Boba isn't a clone.
    Yoda is blue.
    Chewy gets a medal.

SW novelizations: keeping continuity on its toes for 36 years.

9. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    That wasn't Jabba that was Heater!

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The ANH novel for Sith, yes. but "We'll be sent to the spice mines of Kessel, smashed into who knows what" is in the ANH movie.

11. Big Fat'Lya

Big Fat'Lya Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2013
    The Revenge of the Sith novelization (the only novelization I've read, actually) made me appreciate the story in a way the film simply hadn't. I must admit to not being a fan of the prequels, overall - they're entertaining, certainly, but I never felt much in the way of emotional or intellectual attachment to anything they presented (there are a few exceptions, but exceptions they are). The novel, on the other hand, demonstrated the raw potential of the story that, for me, was lost under the visuals and related distractions of the film. Upon finishing the book, I actually thought to myself, "Ah! Now I understand what the story is". I hadn't before. More than that, I was very satisfied with that story. So to answer the original question, for some of us the novelizations take a film we enjoyed but only as casual entertainment and demonstrate how the same story can be played out in a truly affecting way in a different (more suitable?) medium.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    If the opening epigraph and introduction to Revenge of the Sith novelization can't get you to appreciated the PT then there is something seriously screwed up with you.

13. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    The Revenge of the Sith novelization is still the single best Star Wars novel I've read. Its greatest achievement IMO is making Anakin's fall to the dark side feel much more understandable and plausible than in the movie. If Stover had been allowed to properly detail the Sidious/Yoda and Anakin/Obi-Wan duels instead of just describing them in generalities, I might consider the RotS novelization one of my all-time favorite works of fiction.

Oh, if only Stover could get contracted to write all three novelizations for Episodes VII to IX... Or, failing that, a Ep VII/Timothy Zahn, Ep VIII/James Luceno and Ep IX/Matthew Stover distribution would IMO still have a potential for greatness.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I've always wanted Stover to write an ROTJ novelization that acknowqledges the PT but ignores the post-ROTJ EU and anything made under Disney.

15. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Stover's next project should be to novelize Dark Empire.

16. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    ROTS contributed a good story.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That or the ST. Both if possible.

18. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    The New Hope novelization made one of the most powerful and intimidating villains in the entire saga into a feeble, easily manipulated old man whose advisers control his every decision. Wait, I may be getting this continuity thing backwards...;)

Big Fat'Lya and Sable_Hart like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The OT novelizations had all kinds of issues. You left out two, BC: Anakin never met Yoda, nor did he know that Padme was pregnant.

The PT novelizations for the most part ran circles around the movies though, and I'm one who likes the PT movies.

The TPM novelization gave us Bane and the history of the Order of Two, as has been mentioned already.

The AOTC novelization went a little more into the Tusken culture and why Shmi was kidnapped; correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only other place to get insight into that is the KOTOR games and a couple of reference guides. It also gave some background into Padme's family as well.

I will say that the Lars garage scene, which I enjoy in the film, is much better in the book, adds to both Anakin and Padme's love story and the culture of the Tuskens; in the dialogue there, Anakin explains that the men are the warriors and the women do not fight.

The ROTS novelization went into the Journal of the Whills as well as what Anakin hoped to achieve by being granted the Master rank, other than a place in the Council chambers to warm his butt and tell the Jedi Council how awesome his opinions are. Also, the opening of it talks about how the public viewed the Jedi in general and Anakin and Obi-Wan in particular.

And "This is what it's like to be Anakin Skywalker, now" monologue is the most moving that I have ever read in a Star Wars novel.

20. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

I agree with all of that except the last part, given Disney hasn't made anything yet.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant what will be made.
    Even they contributed stuff, actually, in spite of their many issues.

22. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    The Return of the Jedi novelization also had the bit about Palpatine ordering that the Forest Moon of Endor be destroyed if the Shield Generator is taken out, which was seen in the deleted scene on the blu-ray. I think that was at least somewhat important for Luke's state of mind in the Death Star II scenes, as the hopelessness and conflict that Palpatine is trying to instill in him is just as important as pissing him off as far as making Luke into his father's replacement goes. If Han and Leia succeed, then they die (barring the Death Star II getting destroyed first, as it was). But if they get captured and Luke serves Palpatine, his friends may stay alive, just like Anakin ostensibly would have had Padme alive!

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That is an awesome way of looking at things!

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The Republic comics Series (back when it was still just Star Wars) went into it as well.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Believe the AOTC novel also explicitly stated that the clones grown for the Grand Army of the Republic were conditioned specifically only to take orders from Jedi, thus ensuring that Jedi needed to be embedded with every group of clones.

Good forward thinking...

And the ROTS novel gave us... the ROTS novel.