main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Movies

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by echosevin, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Caught Prince Caspian the other night. Really good flick. Decidedly different from the book, but they had to make those alterations in order for the movie to work (the book is pretty short on it's own). Great battle sequences - my favourite was the fight between Peter and Miraz. Found it interesting that the film makers made the Telmarines very 'Spanish-esque' and the Narnians very 'British'. I certainly didn't get that vibe from the book.

Any word from our midnight marauders on Indy 4??

2. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    Epic fun. It's definitely up there with Temple of Doom and Last Crusade in my estimation of the Jones movies. A helluva fun romp with a couple good laughs, fell villains, stalwart heroes, and a great premise made for an incredibly enjoyable late night.

Of course, now I'm falling asleep at the keys. . .oof.I-)

~StacyD

3. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Indy was awesome loved ever minute of it good story, great action, great cast, funny, and great music. Go see this movie.

4. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Well I finally seen Indy and I'm still not to sure what to think. It definitely wasn't Raiders, Crusade or Temple of Doom. For me it didn't have that good ole Indy magic. Maybe it was Harrison Ford being really old now and not the good ole Indy we saw when were younger. I sat waiting for Indy to show up but for me he never did. After seeing Harrison Ford as a really old Indy I'm sort of glad he said he never reprise the role of Han Solo as it would really tarnish that smugglers image.

But thats just my 2 cents.

Prince Caspian on the other hand was very well done. Lots of action and a great story. The nice thing about it it didn't need to provide any back story and got right into it. Even though it was 2 1/2 hours the time flew by with all the action going on.

5. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I thought Crystal Skull was the best of the Indy movies. I don't see what you mean by no "Indy magic" because I saw that right from the get go with all the tricks he pulled in the first scene he was in. For me, it was the perfect Indy movie. I thought it was exactly as it should have been.

6. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    I'd have to agree with PreludeRm on this one. I'm still trying to scrub the memory of Indy4 from my memory - so disappointing.

But I did like the alien story bit - thanks George!

7. SHAAK_GG

SHAAK_GG Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2005
    Ditto to all you said. :)

8. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    I guess you young guys like seeing Indy in the theater for the first time. Sure there were a few parts that was OK. But it was mainly what was on the previews. It just seemed like Indy was to helpful all the time. Oh I guess I'm trapped, sure I'll help you out. It seemed like he gave in to soon without a fight. I guess that can be attributed to old age??? Not even the monkeys saved it. Also the guys name is Mutt. Didn't he know his name was Henry Jr. Jr.

The first 20 minutes in the warehouse was good. All until he got into the fridge. And where did the FBI suddenly disappear to? If he was that high on their list the KGB wouldn't have gotten anywhere near him as he would have been followed everywhere, Right??? The first 20 minutes sort of felt like an Indy movie although he was to helpful then it went downhill from there.

Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford tried to give you everything an Indiana Jones fan could want some 20 odd years later, they ultimately missed the mark. A simple adventure with all our old pals would?ve done the trick, the Big Three tried to do too much, and ended up giving us too little instead. What a shame. I wonder what the scripts that GL threw away were like. As this was the third script he finally accepted if I remeber hearing.

This movie is screaming for a fan edit.

9. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    I don't think seeing a movie in a theater makes it any better or worse.

Yeah so the fridge part was a little over the top. The scene in Raiders where Indy runs from the giant rock ball is over the top. Like how would natives in the jungle perfectly carve and transport it? The Indy movies are pure adventure movies, with scenes that are overdone to the point of being a little impossible.

As for the FBI and KGB. The KGB found Indy in Mexico, afterwards the FBI followed hin. He lost them with Mutt's help, and quickly jumped a plane out of there. By the time the FBI found his tracks, he was probably holding the Crystal Skull.

10. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    He didn't loose the FBI with Mutts. Those were KGB. The complete FBI sub-plot gets lost within 2 minutes. Every Indy movie has it's over the top things. But this one seem to be every five minutes.

As far as I'm concerned. Yes this was another Indy movie, Did it live up to the hype of another Indy movie, Not for me.

I'm done wasting my breath on this. No more Indy talk will come from my lips.

11. SHAAK_GG

Jun 29, 2005
    I am pretty sure Indy tells Mutt that the guys at the bar are FBI agents. I guess we'll know who is right when the DVD comes out.

12. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Don't click the link unless you've seen the movie. Spoilers inside the link to just prove my point.

plot summary

scoreboard.

13. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Despite that link being to Supershadow, who claims to have scripts to Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, and is generally thought to be completely bogus, Ryan is correct. They were definitely KGB.

14. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    As I said, I enjoyed the film and found it an awesome bit of escapism. The move from the 1940s Adventure Serial feel of the original trilogy to the 1950s B-Movie feel of Crystal Skull seemed like a natural fit to me. I enjoyed the MacGuffin and the quest for it, and how they mixed the elements of the first three films with the new archetypes.

That said, I can see how it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Nearly 20 years of expectation is tough to beat, and it's not going to please everyone. Still, as a coda to the franchise it makes for a fun 2 hours.

Of course, now I'm all curiosity about what Mac and Indy were up to during the War. . .[face_thinking]

~StacyD

15. winbrant

winbrant Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    I walked out with mixed feelings.

It was great seeing Indy in all his attitude and foibles so no beefs about that. Dialogue was great and the relationships were well established (apart from Mutt). John Hurt was exceptional as usual.

The story was great with a lot of back story interjected in when required, including allusions to his youth as chronicled in the Young Indiana Jones. Loved the historical contexts and the juxtoposition of knowledge being a double-edged sword.

The mix of myth, fact, and suppostion was equally impressive as it kinda grounded the whole movie. As Ox said..."interdimensional beings"...not "aliens" as some reviews referenced.

The parts that did not sit well were items where it kinda removed the realism (a la Raiders) was the reliance on CG for environment and some action (c'mon...greaser playing Tarzan). Definite license required on "Suspension of Disbelief."

The ending...OK...a little bit too X-files movie-ish for me. I would've been happy with a portal instead.

On the plus side I did not go in thinking this was going to be The definitive Indy movie (Raiders will retain that one for me) so for me it was palatable as summer fair escapism.

w.

16. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Saw Indy. Really liked it. Didn't love it, but really liked it.

The Goons that go for Indy and Mutt in the Chok'lit Shoppe were indeed KGB. The FBI in the debriefing were there to help demonstrate the political climate.

Random thoughts:
    One day Lucas will write his car racing movie and be done with it.
    Needed more whip action, but then don't most movies.
    Swordplay is always cool

17. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    I was expecting David Duchovny 2 jump out of the trees. Kinda liked the winks 2 Raiders in the warehouse scenes...and liked it up til the mushroom cloud. Remember, the last screen writer mixed atleast 3 versions of the script into Indy IV.

Liked it for what is was, and took it for what it didn't try 2 be. (Harrison Ford's attempt for screen credibility and a new audience that will buy newly released dvd's)

Will wait til Raiders the SPECIAL EDITION.

I've seen the future of Indiana Jones...his name is "Williams"...Mutt Williams.

18. jacksonfett

jacksonfett Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2008
    I saw indy last weekend... I didnt enjoy it.. its no where in the range of the first 3.. THere was too much Outlandish stuff going on. At least the first 3 indy movies had some realizism. I think the from the first scene you really notice fords age... he looked like DOOKU flying on his gramapa bike in ep2... I wish there was more mystery and problem solving in the movie i think thats the most trouble i had. Indy knew everything!... someone would ask a question and indy would know the answer "the butler did it with a towel rack while chewing gum". haha

i think it was a bad way to end the series off, It felt like watching pirates of the carribean 3

19. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was simply a cash grab, there was no need for the installment: The three were only planned...even the Last Cruasade was slowing down a bit.

What noticed in the movie: Every time, scenes with Ford would be "lit" entirely different, then the next. "Aging can be disguised with diffusers and filters", and they certainly used them.

20. Obi_Wan_Cody

Obi_Wan_Cody Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2007
    Saw it twice and loved it both times. I will deffinetly see it in theaters again, just waiting for it to calm down a bit.

21. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Read a couple of early reviews for The Hulk (opening next Friday) - the guys who reviewed nearly wet their pants - it is THAT AWESOME.

I have high hopes for this one - Marvel Studios second release this year (so far IRON MAN is tops for me).

HULK SMASH!!!

22. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Yeah loved Iron Man but am more excited for the hulk as he's a character I've followed more and he looks great.

Can't wait HULK SMASH PUNNY HUMANS!!!!!.

23. vonScott

vonScott Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2006
    Here's the lineup of late movies for the film festival at the Plaza.

I'm sorry I didn't mention The One-Armed Machine Girl. Kill Bill is tame in comparison. [image=http://www.horror-movies.ca/AdvHTML_Upload/phpThumb_2.jpg]
    Warning - very graphic. Lots of blood and violence, even in this trailer.

24. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Watched Kung Fu Panda last night on IMAX - great flick! The kung fu was seriously awesome - great animation, and a pretty good story.

My favourite line belongs to Mantis, 'I wish my mouth was bigger.' ha!HA! LOVED IT!

25. jacksonfett

jacksonfett Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2008
    hellyas! hulk is out this weekend!... I cant wait review have been good. comparable to IM! Woot!... Soo many good movies coming
    Hulk... >>>>HELLBOY2!<<<<.. clonewars.. Dark knight!... i hope they keep the fanboy movies coming and they stay at a entertaining caliber!..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.