main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Joaquin, CA Multi-group invitation

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Scottrooper, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottrooper

Scottrooper Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2006
    Greetings,

My name is Scott Simpson. I am the current CO of the Central California 501st Garrison. I've talked to some of you in the past about arranging a multi-group get-together to be hosted at my house, and I would like to get things started. I will be inviting members of the 501st Central California Garrison, the 501st Golden Gate Garrison, the San Francisco Fan Force, the Sacramento Valley Rogue Force, the Tulare County Fan Force, and the Rebel Legion's Endor Base. (Carpooling is a good thing!) I would like to host this gathering in the spirit of cooperation and unity between our groups, and I believe this will be a good way to get to know each other out of costume.
    Currently this event is in the early planning stages. For now I would like to find out who is interested in coming, and what preference you have for the date. I would prefer to hold the gathering on a Saturday.

Possible days are: April 29th, May 6th, May 13th, or May 27th.

Please post if one of these days is preferable for you, or if your group already has an event scheduled for any of them. We can't please everyone, but we can try our best to select a day that works for most people.

Feel free to post questions here on the board, or e-mail me any questions or thoughts you might have at: flashburn@highstream.net

2. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    Hi Scott, it's good to hear from you.

The group meeting/get-together sounds good. For us here April 29, and May 6th are no good. We have events both those weekends. The other dates are open however.

I'd like to also plan another trip to Children's Valley perhaps in June. We can check with R2 Mike and see what would be good for him.

Hope to see you soon.

3. Scottrooper

Feb 5, 2006
    Glad to hear that you're interested in this! :)

Based on all the responses I've had so far, I'm going to set the date for this event for Saturday, May 20th. Probably starting at around 11 or so.

Things you'll want to bring:
    1. a chair.
    2. Food. (consider it a barbeque/potluck). I may change it up a little and ask each specific group to bring something specific (i.e. meat, side dishes, desserts.) or just leave it as a standard potluck to make sure everyone has something they actually want to eat. :)
    I will have at least 1 barbeque grill available.
    3. If you have a pop up canopy and don't mind bringing it, it wouldn't be a bad idea. (lots of space in the yard, very little shade)

Other things:
    Please plan to carpool as much as possible, not only to save on gas, but parking spaces. :)

More information coming as we get closer. (like my address and that kinda thing.)

For planning purposes, though, the event will be in Hilmar, CA. (between Turlock and Los Banos)

(another hospital visit would be fun)

4. MotherPalpatine

Jun 2, 2004
    This sounds good to me and I will tell our group about it at the next meeting.

Let me know if there is anything we can do to help.

Keep us posted.

5. R2-Depot

R2-Depot Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2005
    Poopie! I will be taking R2 to an event in Sacramento that weekend! Sooooo close! Maybe next time. And yes, we definitely need to do another Valley Children's run!

-Michael

P.S. Scott, I'll honk when I go by!

6. Scottrooper

Feb 5, 2006
    A request: Please, if you know of another group that I haven't notified of this event but whom you believe might be interested, give me the information and let me look into it. With the event being at my house I am going to be picky about what groups are involved.

I've already recieved one request from a different group to get an invite. I don't like telling people no they aren't invited, but at present I am disinclined to invite groups that I've never had any dealings with.

Currently invited groups:
    Central California Garrison 501st
    Golden Gate Garrison 501st
    Sacramento Valley Rogue Force
    San Francisco Fan Force
    Tulare County Fan Force.
    Rebel Legion Endor Base

Thanks

7. Scottrooper

Feb 5, 2006
    Howdy gang, I'm swinging through with some more info and details for ya.

Location info: I'll be giving your chapter reps my address and phone number (I don't want to post that info on a public forum for obvious reason) for them to distribute to those members who wish to attend the picnic.

Food info: Picnic will be potluck style. In order to make sure we don't end up with 85 bags of chips and nothing else, sign up to bring food as though your group is the only one attending. A barbeque grill will be available for use. (historically I've managed to end up posting myself at the grill to get everyone's stuff cooked).

Food note: I'm going to ask that there be no alcohol brought to the picnic.

Entertainment: In something of a surprise, we may have some entertainment by the "Balance of Power" team. They've asked to perform later in the day, my question for you is: how late would you consider staying to watch them perform?

Any questions, you can reach me at flashburn@highstream.net

8. Scottrooper

Feb 5, 2006
    Hey gang, San Francisco folks asked some questions and I thought I should share the info with the rest of the attendees.

Questions to answer:
    Plates, napkins, cups, and plastic-wear (forks and the like as opposed to armor which would be wear-plastic) will be provided.
    Ice is covered too.

Games, entertainment:
    I've got badmitten that I can set up, and have the gear for whiffleball. Don't have a volleyball, but I suspect that if someone wanted to bring one, we could really use the same net.
    Water balloons, probably not a good idea.
    Board type games, may or may not work out (depends on the wind I think).

Last minute requests (aka, stuff I'm just thinking of)
    If you have card tables you can bring, you may want to do so if you want a table (the stuff I had will end up mostly as serving tables)

For the drivers: the house is red with white trim. My neighbors (yellow house) park in their front yard a lot, so please do not block their yard. (six cars will fit in our driveway. 3 more in the grass driveway beside it, 3 in the side drive behind my truck, and maybe 3 along the street in front of the house, plus there's plenty of space in front of the fenced in pasture just past the house. (I'll help everyone get parked if needed.)

9. MotherPalpatine

Jun 2, 2004
    Well, it was a fun day. Thank you Scoot and Pam for hosting this event and allowing us to overrun your home.:D

I have no idea how many people attended but it was a very good turnout and it seemed that everyone enjoyed themselves. The Wizard and I were able to catch up with familiar faces and we met many that we hope to be seeing again. Scott's plan to bring together not only members of 501st and Rebel Legion but Fan Force as well was brillantly excuted. There is no reason that these groups can not work togther as well as play together which was proved yesterday. It truly made me think of a family gathering and the children and chicks just added to that feeling.

And it was nice to meet you Will and we hope to see you in the future along with your beloved. Hopefully if you can join us for an event it will not be as hot as Lemoore since we can not affer you an RV, yet.:D

Scott, you and Pam have a beautiful home and we again thank you for the invitation and hospitality. Next time I hope more of our group can attend and I'm sure the Wizard will have more lightsabres to share.;)

Liz, I'm glad you, and Jerry, and Toad, of course Ally (or is it Allie?) were able to come. Get your sabre arms ready.

10. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks to MotherPalpatine for taking some nice group photos for me :) It was great meeting more of the fans from the Tulare County area!

Kay Dee's photos

More photos will be added to sffanforce.com in the coming days as I get the files from the rest of our members.

- kay dee

11. xdarthsmithiousx

xdarthsmithiousx Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2005
    We had a great time, thanks to Scott for letting us all come.

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Awesome pictures, guys! Looks like you had a blast!

13. MotherPalpatine

Jun 2, 2004
    Miana, it was a lot of fun and great that so many groups could get together. According to Pam there were 53 people in attendance and it lasted 10 1/2 hours.

I would be willing to do this again and I think the Wizard would agree.

14. Scottrooper

Feb 5, 2006
    Thanks for coming out for this folks, you are the folks I point out for the folks in the Central California Garrison for why it's possible for the 501st and the Fan Force to work together here in the valley.

Looking forward to working with you again in the future and to meeting some more of your members.

Thanks again for coming up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.