main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Muse (you know, the band)

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheVioletBurns, Aug 17, 2004.

1. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Okay, I know I am a latecomer to this band. As such, I can't believe there isn't already a thread for them. You UK folks have been keeping this brilliance underwraps for years now.

My brother tossed "Absolution" at me back in May, and I now have all three albums currently sitting happily on my shelf.

How amazing are these guys? And there's only three of them. I can't believe such a huge sound can come out of a three-man band.

I realize I might be slightly biased for having been introduced through "Absolution", but I do think it's definitely their most mature and accomplished work so far. Many people have compared Muse to Radiohead, but quite frankly I think they're far more comparable to Queen. Their music has that lovely bombastic, overdramatic quality to it.

So, those of you familiar with this band... what's your favorite thing they've done?

Those of you who've only heard "Time is Running Out" playing on the radio... boy are you missing out.

2. darth-dom

darth-dom Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2000
    I'm not that farmilliar with them, but I enjoy their songs on the radio. It's interesting that you compare them to Queen - I love queen. I might buy Absolution at some point soon.

3. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    The only song I've heard is Time is Running Out and I REALLY like it. I saw the CD at Virgin Megastore and I was contemplating buying it but instead I chose to buy The Who: The Ultimate Collection and Strata by Strata.

I'll probably buy it next time though because I really enjoy Time is Running Out. The best part of that song is the drums and the vocals. :)

4. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Thoughts of a Dying Atheist and Plug In Baby are their best songs.

They really are great. And their not very Queen-like.
    Radiohead aren't as good as them.
    If you want Queen style, get The Vandals.

5. TheVioletBurns

May 27, 2002
    Love both of those, but I think my favorite track (for now) remains "Butterflies and Hurricanes". Just, whoa.

And catching a glimpse of it live through the Glastonbury '04 online feed turned that into a double whoa. Anyone actually been to a show? I love how they appear to sort of shake things up and not just give you the album version of every song. Matt Bellamy's guitar and piano work is just jaw-dropping.

6. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    I've been an avid fan of Muse for many years now, and this year had the pleasure of seeing them live at the Australian BIG DAY OUT festival.

It was great weather and I managed to get right up into the D-Circle Mosh Pit. They rocked out amazingly, easily the loudest, most bombastic act of the festival. (A true feat considering they were followed on stage by Metallica)

I agree that Absolution really does mark a maturation in their music and presents a far more structured aueral experience. The opening of Apocalypse Please is one of the great preludes on any album ever, and is backed up with a true journey through futuristic guitar riffs and some inspired melodies and lyrics.

I think comparisions to Queen are far more fair than to Radiohead; Matt Bellemy has cited the two major influences on Muse to be Led Zepplin and Queen: and I think it shows through in their music.

Stockholm Syndrome, Micro Cuts, Plug in Baby, New Born, Dead Star and In your World all rock, and the band finds something unique and special in their tracks Megalomania, unintended, and the great cover track, Feeling Good.

I thoroughly reccomend seeing this mob live to anyone who hasn't yet, they are truly an awesome act, and hard to beat on the current international touring circuit.

7. TheVioletBurns

May 27, 2002
    Well, I just secured my tickets for KROQ's Inland Invasion next Saturday. Pretty much going just for Muse, even if they will likely have a short set. I can't wait... dragging a couple of recent converts along with me.

In other news, the video for "Butterflies and Hurricanes" has been released! I am alternately thrilled and annoyed. They've had to hurt the song to make it work as a single - the piano bridge has been shortened, certain elements during the verses and chorus are gone, and the orchestra has been significantly diminished. As a result, it doesn't sound quite as epic, but oh well. It's still my favorite Muse song ever, and I dig the vid!

8. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I bought the CD and I really enjoy it. I bet they'd be a really good live band. :)

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    This thread is ancient and a lot has happened since 2004... Black Holes & Revelations is an unbelievable album for them, but also a step into a more mainstream sound (Starlight) for them. It also contains what I would consider a masterpiece, Knights of Cydonia. Quintessential Muse (if there even can be such a thing). Then of course The Resistance, which is a definite turn into a more pop-based sound, lighter and more orchestral.

And finally, the newest Muse album, The 2nd Law. If anyone is interested in discussing things in this thread, I will share my thoughts on this newest album.

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I think you would have been well within your rights to start up a new thread.

And Cobraconda, better than Radiohead? FOR SHAME

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Eh I figured it would be fun to have this ancient history.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Speaking of ancient history, I thought this thread would be about Calliope, Clio, Terpischore, Melpomene, Urania, Thalia, etc.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I loved everything they did up to BH&R. Resistance was okay. Heard their Olympics track and didn't get 2nd Law.

14. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Wow this is ancient. I think Black Holes and Revelations is my favorite but Absolution is close. Heck, Origin of Symmetry is pretty darn good too.

Not impressed at all with The 2nd Law, although I've only given it two listen-throughs so far. Still, I would see them live again. Saw them in 2010 in Toronto and won't soon forget that concert.

15. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I love their cover of Nina Simone's Feeling Good, but that's all I've really heard of them.

16. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    If you like Feeling Good, you might appreciate some of their other slower songs.

For something more up-tempo, nothing like an anthemic, bombastic orchestral rock track:

Or perhaps some good ol' alt rock with a killer guitar riff:

Maybe you'd prefer something a little poppier?

If that still doesn't do it, how 'bout what Muse does best - apocalyptic, symphonic space rock?

17. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    I first got into Muse with Black Holes and Revelations. I started exploring their albums backwards from there. I really like Origin of Symmetry and Absolution. Their last two albums have sort of been hit or miss as far as the songs on them. Too much blatant lazy techno pop crap. I want to hear Muse play their instruments, not fiddling around with Fruity Loops on their laptops.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    When I got their Deadstar EP, approximately 138 years ago, I thought: "Radiohead Diet, meh". Then they developed their own sound and I started digging them. Then they published that awful last album, and now I'm wishing they were Radiohead Diet.

19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Panic Station, Animals and Supremacy are absolutely top of their game Muse.

I absolutely love this band. Going to see them live for the first time next year, and I am pumped.

Anybody listen to their B-Sides? Positively great.

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I saw them in 2007 here and it was epic. Would go again, though I would be a Homer Simpson yelling 'no new crap, Hysteria now!'

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Loved them for awhile now. Saw them saw them during their Resistance tour and they certainly know how to put on a good show! Still every time I hear Resistance I think 'they opened with that'!

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah I think the new album is very weak. I love the first three songs (Supremacy, Madness & Panic Station) and I love the two 2nd Law pieces at the end. The middle of the album is either medicore (Follow Me) or outright unlistenably bad (that Olympics godawful mess).

And Frieda, they opened with Uprising. ;)

23. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I will fight tooth and nail that Animals is one of their best songs.

TOOTH AND NAIL!

Anybody hear Who Knows Who? I was listening to some of their lesser known stuff and was surprised to suddenly be listening to a British Rage Against the Machine.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Animals is not bad at all. It's probably the best of the stuff between the first three and the last two. And I do like Big Freeze but it's so light and poppish it just doesn't seem very Muse.

25. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Big Freeze seems like Muse is trying so very hard to be U2. It grew on me after a while.