main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Music thread #3: "Top Ten Albums of the 90's"

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Sykes-, Dec 7, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    Well not in the album chart - 39 first week, dropped down to 74 their second week <sigh> I hate when decent bands suffer from sales when tripe like Steps (not offending anyone with that am I?) sell millions

2. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    Yes, dammit! I like Steps!! :mad:

3. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    Sorry [face_blush] S Club 7?

4. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    No, it's okay Gav..only teasing! ;) I don't actually mind S Club 7 though, I have to admit! I dislike Steps though...

It's the way of things though, Gav. Think about the highest common denominator when it comes to buying music...kids...from early to mid/late teens. The majority of which will be buying the likes of Hear'Say, Steps, Westlife, Ronan Keating/Boyzone, Robbie etc etc...very rarely do you get any real boost in relatively good music

5. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    The problem with these sort of people though is that they are nive enough to think that because something sells well it is good. Or maybe I should rephrase that into if something doesn't sell well then it must be crap. I know cos I was there myself a few years ago. I think that the reason nu-metal is doing so well just now (for no apparent reason it seems) is that this original audience is starting to mature slightly in listening terms

6. Arun Dale

Arun Dale Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 21, 1999
    You've also got to blame a certain radio station too...

If they plug a record to death it will be successful...Air, BDB, Basement Jaxx are all classic examples.. these albums could of quite easily drifted into obsucurity if it wasn't for some certain DJS playing theses records every half an hour...

7. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    nu-metal?? sorry...losing me again, Gav!

8. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    nu-metal = what they're calling the genre that Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit belong too

Agreed Arun - Radio 1 really know how to kill a song with overplay. What annoys me though is that they can play a song by an established artist to death, even though they KNOW it will be succesful (eg take Madonna - have you ever heard one of her songs that hasn't been played several hunderd times a day prior to release?), when they can't spare that time to try and plug somebody new

9. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    Korn, Slipknot, Limp Biskit, Amen etc

10. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    Oh, I see...why not just say crap or is that too broad a term? ;)

11. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    I would say it is a bit general - there is actually one oasis in a desert of bile - Linkin Park

12. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    Too broad...

MTV is just as bad...the only half descent progam is Brand New...and even that tends too play far too much 'nu-metal'

Give me a Radio 1 slot 4am -7pm...oh the music I could plug.....

13. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    I'm still waiting to hear a Lemon Jelly track on the radio...suppose I shouldn't hold my breath!

I quite like the Top Ten shows that MTV do at about 5 or 6pm...depending on who the artists are though.
    VH1 is much better, in my humblest...I love the So80s shows!

14. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    I used to watch them all the time, but I don't watch TV very much anymore (apart from between 8-10 on a Friday ;)). I preferred MTV if only for the fact that they played more modern music than VH-1, who played a lot of 70s-80s bands that I didn't like. Although it's been a while since I watched either of them really

15. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    VH1 have stuck a lot of their older stuff onto VH1 Classics...where they play loads of sixties and seventies stuff...

16. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    I really hate that guy on VH-1, Paul King, who's like 55 and still thinks he's 20! Hello, you're not in a band anymore dude!

17. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    VHI plays far too much Ricky Martin and MTV plays far too much Shaggy...

UKPlay is not too bad...but it still plays some *****..

18. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    I generally don't stick to just one...I flick through all of them just to see what each one is playing at any one time...and with my stereo at the repairshop I haven't a lot of choice other than playing CDs through my PlayStation, which offers pretty dire sound quality... :(

19. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    UK Play has a lot more live music, or it used to, which is a good thing :) Although I really can't stand most of the people on TOTP plus (apart from Scott Mills, but only cos his radio show is cool)

20. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    I have a bit of a thing for Josie....I like girls with ridiculous laughs...

21. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    Well she is't the worse - that honour is saved for Joe and Verne AAAAAAAAAAGRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

22. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    They're not my type

23. Honey

Honey Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2001
    Hey, I am Josie and I have a ridiculous laugh haven't I poodu????????????

24. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    Not a ridiculous laugh...you just laugh at a ridiculous time! ;)

25. Bash

Bash Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Hey guys.

What about MTV2? That's the best music station without a doubt isn't it?

Radio 1 is OK after 8pm in the week.

Turin Brakes are great Poods, we all think so. They're very mellow, but not depressing which are two things that a lot of people think have to go hand in hand. "If a song is mellow, thewn it must be depressing..." NO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.