main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mustafar catwalk (Work in Progress)

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Kchr1ss, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfx

jfx Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2006
    From what I can see, it looks great. I just think u need to brighten it and make it more red/orangish.

2. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    I must say that that looks really good, but it looks more like Geonosis in the moonlight than Mustafar.

3. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    If you look at reference or real-life lava fields they do look like this.

4. takhs7

takhs7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2005
    OMG :eek: thats AWESOME ! great detail

5. Kchr1ss

Kchr1ss Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    I agree with all of you. Thanks for comments.
    Its dark, but i wont be able to set the brightness right never because we all have different monitors. I should render anyways brighter and darken in it in post.

Jfx, It would look mora orangish when i would add bigger lava flows which i havent yet thought how I would be doing.

Darthviper107, i see too genosis look in there :cool: . I could make the hills more sharp if thats more Mustafar, but also its meant to be field(low area), where there arent much of a mountains. I will make also areas where there would be sharp edged landscapes etc.

And Scifi_3d_zoo, I model the landscapes piece by piece using extruding, scale-ing, beveling. Then I add either another layer of subdividing, and then noise modifiers and sometimes also a wave and sometimes some other, depending on the shape. Also I use usually one modeled shape which I copy couple times and alter them, so u could tell they come from one parent but they still look different.
    Here is what i mean:

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/work.jpg]

I made some seamless textures based on reallife photos of cliffs and rocks(small rocks in the textures make it look like ashes btw) and i use bump map and displacement map to get that extra detail.

6. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Awesome. You've gotten further along than I ever did with my project. Good job.

7. jfx

May 16, 2006
    I know I may sound annoying, but do u plan on donating the model to scifi3d? Considering that mustafar is the place some people try to create in fan films, but can not. Hopefully u'll make that dream come true....[face_praying]

8. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006
  9. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    Yes I think so, I am not sure if i finish that collector arm base, at this stage it could be well used as a background construction, but its not that detailed for close shots yet. Actually the details arent that big deal, it needs good texturing for close looks - I am not that good texture mapping. If anyone is up for texturing I can release it when I have more updated it.
    I dont know about the terrain tho, I am going to find a way how i will get my wide, stabilizing shots done. I reached 7.5 million polys couple days ago XD, and it got very slow suddenly, but that was somewhat waste of polys too.
    I have in mind of doing more places not seen in movie. And i think the fight will be also on a mountain cliff or somewhere not on building/construction.

I figured that doing fight on the same places as in the movie woulnt be that interesting.

10. jfx

May 16, 2006
    Yes there's hope![face_dancing] Well the thing that I liked the most was the lava dam u made. I didn't know terrain took so much polygons. But in the movie u could only see mountain terrain in the background, so don't fret about the terrain detail.

11. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    The image of the terrain i posted here was only a little over 500 000 polys. Thats not much really. But later i made more landscapes, and clone a lot so i got really huge area covered but wasted too many polys.

12. takhs7

Jul 8, 2005
    Cool! well i am planing to make a mustafar fanfilm since i saw Episode III but im not so good with 3ds max :_|
    i have a little hope now :)

13. Macro_Roshuma

Macro_Roshuma Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
  14. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    Does anyone use realflow here? I did couple test simulations, with not too bad animation but I coulnt figure out how to texture after importing to 3ds max. The texture doesnt move while the flow moves. Somehow export the uw cordinates from realflow?

Two quick previews of landscapes. Their not final.

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/test.jpg]

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/volcanocopy.jpg]

15. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Wow that's cool. I've never used Realflow, but how are the textures made? You might just want to apply a UVWwrap modifier to it and that might help.

16. jfx

May 16, 2006
  17. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Maybe they have support forums at RealFlow? Also.. I saw this link and thought about your question. It's a tutorial on RealFlow and it talks about materials too.

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/premium_content/3d__and__animation/the_new_flesh

18. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    thanks zoo. I will look it through.

UW unwrap didnt work either darthvipe, still same, it like puts the texture around the flow mesh,however some of the faces appear during animation and the flow moves but the textures stay where they are. I guess i have some easy thing to fix, i ll search at realflow forums.

19. jfx

May 16, 2006
    Bump!:p

20. Earlack

Earlack Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2006
    So men, that's a ****** work !
    But no news... :_|

21. takhs7

Jul 8, 2005
    Update....UPDATE....! [face_praying]:p

22. dvdcdr

dvdcdr Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2006
    I've looked through this thread and saw how great of a project this is. You haven't done any updates in a while, though. Are you still working on it?

23. Darth_Maya

Darth_Maya Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2006
    Trust me he is still working on it. :)

24. Kchr1ss

Mar 24, 2005
    Yeah, i've been working on atmospheric and enviroment stuff. Atm, i'm trying to get the landscape look right. I'm using procedural displacement maps since lately. I learned a lot about particles within this time.

I will try to update the collector arm base soon and the lava dam.

EDIT:

Heres a terrain example shader, not happy with that yet:

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/small_hill_example_textured.jpg]

And a sky/cloud render:

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/Lookfilms/skytest.jpg]

Lookfilms

25. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    That ground shader looks fantastic. The sky shader looks odd though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.