main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My JC New Year's Resolution

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Eh, it seems that the same arguments for/against a SFF forum could be made regarding a sports forum; this move strikes me as rather hypocritical

Meh. I was in favor of a sports forum. While I do suppose it could look hypocritical from a certain viewpoint do keep in mind though that Star Wars is science fiction and the majority of these forums are science fiction related, so its not a big leap to create a specific science fiction forum. Sports on the other hand is not science fiction, at least not real sports that occur on Earth at any rate.

With that said though I'm almost always in favor of new forums.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

You're right, but there is not point in bringing up common sense here. Sports discussion can go in the Senate now, so a fourm for that, one that I supported a while ago, wouldn't be needed now.

3. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    What is going to be the Spoiler Policy in the 2 new forums?

4. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    That kinda got lost in the shuffle of the new boards and for that I apologize. Its currently undergoing final revisions, etc. but at the minimum for TV episodes its 24 hours and movies 96 hours (4 days).

5. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    No problem EV. :) I was just wondering mostly about books. With old books like the LotR series would there be any expectation of people not revealing spoilers?

And we know there will be a new HP book out at some point. I know the lit forum has a 30 day policy (or at least I think that is what it used to be). Will that be in effect?

6. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Well I can't answer 100% on the book side as thats not my forum I'm quite certain there will be a book spoiler policy similiar to Lit's. May not be a month and it could be two weeks instead.

I've gone and posted an update in each of the forums.

7. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    IMO:

Movies 96 hours.
    Television 24 hours.
    Comics 24 hours.
    Books: one month.

All of that is subject to individual thread rules; if the Harry Potter book thread wants to keep the book spoilers down to two weeks, that's what they'll get. If something is going to be different than the normal spoiler rules, it gives warning in the thread title.

8. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    OK. Thank you for clearing that.

:D

9. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    The SFF: Films/Television side of things might be a little bit more specific then the SFF: Books/Comics side of things.

Current spoiler policy is still be discussed.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Considering that television shows usually don't air at the same time in different time zones and movies aren't released at the same time, from what point would you start counting? Would it be from PST/North American release? And I find it odd how books and comics are given such radically different spoiler periods-- aren't they roughly the same in terms of distribution, price, and ease of access? I think that, for the benefit of comic fans, the spoiler period should be extended to at least two weeks. I suppose you can argue that it takes far less time for someone to read a comic, but it hardly takes a month to read a typical book.

11. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't think a timeframe will be an issue in the movies forum, as it'd be going by days from the proposed list. And TV shows wouldn't have much to worry about either.

SFF TV will have a more clearcut policy than the books from the looks of it. Threads won't get to pick their spoiler length as that'd get too confusing.

12. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    **hugs Sape**

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.