main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My thread and it's random musings

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by B'omarr, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
  2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    [face_laugh] That's hilarious! For some reason that reminds me of what Arthur Dent in Hitchhiker's would look like flying. :p

3. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    [face_laugh] That is funny, John! I like the boxing guy, and when you get close, he punches you and makes you fall back to the ground. Hilarious!

4. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Kas...stop copying me. [face_plain]

5. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Make me, Grizz. [face_plain]

6. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Don't make me come over there.

7. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Musing of the day:

I've always wanted to order one of those giant 'party subs' you see them offer at places like Subway, Blimpie's, etc. But I never figured out why they charge $40 for one giant 3 foot sub, when you could buy 3 footlongs for about $12. Does it cost that much more to make one continues 3 foot loaf of bread?

8. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    They assume the average American can't do the math, and will do whatever it takes to screw them over, just out of pure convenience.

9. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Well, that sucks for us who can divide and still want to eat a massive sandwich over the course of three or four days.

10. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    They have those huge party subs at our local Safeway and they're pretty darn good. They cost way less than Subway or those other chains.

Or just buy yourself 3 footlongs, wrap them together in saran wrap and pretend that they're one big party sub.

11. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    My absolute favorite kind of sub (only at Subway):

Footlong club on regular white bread, with lettuce, tomatos, black olives, mayo, onions, hot mustard, Southwest sauce, vinegar and oil. [face_love]

Deee-lish!

12. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I'd have to say the turkey, ranch, and swiss sandwich at Quiznos was the king of my castle and ruler over the Watson sammich kingdom. And, man, does he ever rule justly.

13. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I have a lot of respect for the Amish. I've only ever met a handful of Amish people (well, one actually), in a little town called Dickson, Tennessee. I stopped there while traveling halfway across the country, and on a rainy December morning, encountered the Amish in a horse drawn buggy.

Now, driving cross country by yourself generally doesn't put one in the best mood, and I wasn't feeling to uppity myself. Coupled with the rain, it made for a miserable day.

So there I am, gassing up my car, getting ready to hit the highway, when the Amish buggy pulls up into the parking lot. To my surprise, the Amish man smiled at me and started talking. I was actually shocked at how friendly he was. In retrospect, being nice is part of their lifestyle, but it was still odd to be treated so nicely by a complete stranger, especially in today's society.

We talked about general things, the weather, the holidays, etc. I was actually amazed that he was quite well adjusted. He was beardless, which meant he wasn't married, and I hear Amish bachelor's have a pretty free reign when they are young, so that must have explained this guy's being at the gas station.

I never got to ask him the questions I wanted to like, "Why are you at a gas station?" or "I bet you guys can make some good bread" or "Are you allowed to eat peanut butter?", but he was, quite honestly, the nicest person I've ever met.

And if this one man was even slightly representative of any other Amish people, perhaps they don't have it so rough after all.

14. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    They are very nice people. I had the occasion to meet a few when we'd go to Pennsylvania to visit my husband's relatives (not Amish).

However, it makes me wonder. A bachelor Amish guy hanging out at gas stations talking to random strangers. Recruiting? Or gay? ?[face_plain]

15. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I think he was just there to buy a Slim Jim. Otherwise, I think he was just going out of his way to be extra nice.

Keep in mind too, that to the Amish, "gay" means "happy". So if you ask them if they're gay, most will say yes.

16. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Yep, those Slim Jim's are mighty hard to come by on an Amish farm and all.

I'm feeling rather gay today, come to think of it. In the "happy" way, that is. Not in that "obhavekenobi/Darth_OlsenTwins" kinda way.

17. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Ah, you're referring to the Tom Cruise/Scientology definition of the word gay. I see.

18. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Exactamundo.

19. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Today's musing is in regards to my favorite of all punctuation, the quotation mark: "

Simple in it's elegance, and yet it gives you a choice of the one tick: ' or two tick variety: "

Yes, quotations can be used in many ways. The most obvious is when quoting, especially when you don't want be seen as a jackass for saying something stupid, when it's someone else's words.

Another great use of the quotation mark is for putting emphasis on a standalone letter or word. If "x" marks the spot, it's much easier to read it that way. Otherwise people would be looking for x marks, and following "x marks" with "the spot" makes no sense.

Now, when putting extra emphasis on words, I found that you can actually convey sarcasm in text. Yes, this has been my lifelong ambition, effectively finding a way to be sarcastic in print. I'm a "real asset" to the world of print.

Sorry, this post was far too "entertaining".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.