main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Naboo defense

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Matt-trooper, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    I know that naboo had little defenses,but does anyone think that the naboo might've had 1,2 or 3 capital ships,like a frigate or something. I realize that they were a peaceful people but it seems silly to have only a fighter wing for planetary defense.

2. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    well, the only thing i could think of is that maybe they had them but werent about to use them because they where trying "to wait for the jedi".

When the negotiations failed, it was to late to use them.

dkt

3. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Why would they need that kind of a defense if there hadn't been "a full-scale war since the formation of the Republic?" However, I'll admit it is a little simplistic to assume they had nothing of the kind, but remember this is a fairy tale; simplicity is part of its charm.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Someone else pointed out in another thread though that the federation had a battle-hardened army.

How was it battle-hardened if there was no war for a thousand years?

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Now now... you should know how easy it is for conflict and battles to be fought without them being an official war.

*cough* Vietnam *cough*

6. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    [ShaneP]: "How was it battle-hardened if there was no war for a thousand years?"

That's a good question. As Strilo points out, they could have used euphemisms to describe their wars, but then the original poster's question remains. Actually, I never really understood how a droid army could get "battle-hardened" anyway, I always thought that line was rather funny.

7. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    there was no war for 1000 years, so there is no need for an army :)

8. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Just because the Republic as a *whole* hasn't been in a war doesn't mean that their aren't civil conflicts that pop up now and then. The Trade Fed is shady enough that I can see it working a few deals behind the backs of the Republic - or even outside of it. And I always just assumed it was a description to get across how dire the situation was to the audience.

As for the Naboo...well, they are a fairly backwater system. What's the point of budgeting for mass defenses if you have no need for them?

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    there was no war for 1000 years, so there is no need for an army

That's backwards. If you had an army, you would deter others. No army is just begging for conquest or......"Invasion!"

strilo
    you should know how easy it is for conflict and battles to be fought without them being an official war

Oh come on. Just because congress never officially declared war doesn't mean Vietnam or Korea or... were not wars.

And that begs another question: even if "battles" does not equal war, what the heck is the republic doing without an army to contain the federation, who are running around battling opponents?

Even the early U.S. republic had a strong volunteer militia without a standing army.

10. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    And that begs another question: even if "battles" does not equal war, what the heck is the republic doing without an army to contain the federation, who are running around battling opponents?

But think how difficult would it be to convince several thousand planetary representatives to hand their protection over to a Republican army. Plenty of people don't trust the govnerment - why should one planet or another trust a ruling body riddled with corruption to handle military matters? And just how does this singular army mean to serve all rights and purposes of every individual planet? Even when threatened by the Separatists, the Senate hesitated to create an army. Power had to be handed over to Palpatine before any action was taken.

The Trade Federation, by itself, IMO, is a growing sign of just how much the Republic has fallen. The fact that such obviously corrupt politicans are allowed to produce vast armies, invade planets, and then later get away with it scott-free shows exactly why the Republic wound up in ruins.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh come on. Just because congress never officially declared war doesn't mean Vietnam or Korea or... were not wars.

Oh come on. I never said they weren't wars. I was making the point that what politicians view as a war (and both Sio Bibble and Palpatine are politicians) and what others do can be two different things.

12. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    ShaneP

i can understand what you are saying there...but i mean is 1000 years went by and no one attacked you , then you would think that is would never happen...i mean 1000 years is along time for no war...

13. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    Sio Bibble said there hadn't been a full scale war. That dosen't mean that there hadn't been conflicts between a few star systems.

P.S Does sio bibble say 'there hasn't been a full scale war....' in ep1 or 2?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.