main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NAME the FANFILM AWARDS PROCESS - ROUND TWO

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediTAC, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Taren:
    The way it will be circumvented is the WHOLE OTHER PART of the website - the actual OVERALL THEME, in fact.

I think that the MAJORITY content of the website - which WILL NOT be the awards - will more than adequately provide an informative source for ALL PEOPLE to discover the excitement and entertainment that FanFilms (especially Star Wars FanFilms) have to offer.

I just wish some of you would give us a chance.

PLEASE . . . . . STOP creating a controversy where none exists

JediTAC

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    ok. I'm gonna sit back now. I really do look forward to seeing the whole of what you're planning, and I really wish you'd just say what it is (which could clear up most of this debate).

TFN itself (forums not included) offers each film exactly the same coverage. I hope yours does the same.

Please don't think I'm not giving you a chance. I'm not that petty as to say "Right, I'm gonna ignore everything you ever do"

As for creating "controversy where none exists", you must understand that some people (I am not the only one) don't like awards. I do hear what you're saying about this not being the only thing, but that is the only SPECIFIC thing that you have ever mentioned.

Keep us posted as to your progress

Peace be with you all

Hal

3. Lar_1138

Lar_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    How? By encouraging them not to download the films that aren't voted?
    - from halibut

i won't put a disclaimer to my comments. I'll stand behind what I say fully.

If thats how a person picks which films to watch, so what?

some people have to pick somehow. who's to draw a line as to how?

a little note to tac & halibut

i think it was obvious that your opinions clashed from the start. It's also obvious that you won't change each others minds and arguing will do nothing but eat up bandwidth.

so... hey kids, take it outside

if you wanna talk about this later, Xaiden@hotmail.com is the place to go

4. Waylynne

Waylynne Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2001
    I don't know about the ceremony, but the award should be called - "The Ego" ...

[face_laugh]

---------

"You know, when WE have a World Series - we actually invite other countries to participate..." - John Cleese

5. AdmiralMowk

AdmiralMowk Jedi Master star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    Sorry to stray from the savage verbal beatings being sent back and forth, but I have a name suggestion for the awards show.

"Exar Kun's Evil Excellence In FanFilm Acheivement!"

And I swear, if that Fremen guy shows up now with another, "" I'm EVIL, wink wink! I'm EVIL! Wink! YYAAAAHHHAYYYYAAHHH! Wink!" post, I am going to...sit here shaking my hand like a decrepit old man. Sure, he won't be able to see me, but just know, that somewhere in a Turkish prison cell-like dorm room in Canada, I'll be shaking my hand towards the sky, screaming "FRREEEEEEEMMMEEEENN!!!" Unless of course it is between the hours of 11 PM and 8 AM, which is quiet time in Residence, in which case I shall hoarsely whisper the aforementioned name. :)

So, just to reiterate:

- "Exar Kun's Evil Excellence In FanFilm Acheivement!"
    - No "Wink wink EVIL wink wink" seizure inducing posts.
    - "FRREEEEEEEMMMEEEENN!!!"

:)

Peace Out,

Mark "The Admiral" Rosenthal

PS- Not to take sides, but I like the idea of a FanFilm Awards show. It'll create a wider awareness of what we're doing, and perhaps even encourage others to get in the game of non-profit fanfilm making. I know it would hook me, had I not already known about...okay, I have gone on WAY too long. This is the last time I drink a liter of Gatorade before bed.

Peace Out.

6. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    this is odd... you see i've never seen the academy awards or emmy's or golden globes as a platform for competition, but rather a celebration of outstanding achievement in film. that's what the awards shows are. the titles of many of the academy awards have been changed lately to reflect that.

finding the "best" is not what the awards are all about, it's giving a pat on the back to someone who's done an outstanding job. it's not to say any other film is not worth seeing because it wasn't nominated. heck, if i believed that, all i'd ever see in theaters would be jane austin adaptations.

personally i am fully behind this project and i'm greatly looking forward to seeing it.

but that's just my two cents...
    -B

7. AndyBryan

AndyBryan Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    As u know, we are trying to make this a celebration not a competition as many people have said from the start

As for some peoples Newbie thoughts:

* Do you really think that newbies don't think for themselves. IF they want to take Duality (e.g.) winning an award a sign that this film might be good, then let them.

* Out of perhaps 10 nominees, one is going to win. The poll is secret and the public only get to know the winner. So of course all newbies are too STUPID to think that perhaps all of the other films on release aren't worth watching.

* I dunno whether the "spark" of fanfilms has gone for you, but I know I LOVE to watch EVERYTHING that gets release that's SW related. U don't think that others think like that?

Halibut -

I guess because you don't agree, you wouldn't accept an award for TESBY from your peers either. Yeah right

8. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    THANK YOU, buliwif !!!!

It's nice to see that some people actually take the time to CONSIDER and UNDERSTAND what we are trying to accomplish.

The thing is ... I started this thread out with the best intentions at heart, and now look what it has become. :(

Oh well ... can't please everyone, I guess.

9. AndyBryan

Nov 13, 2001
    Now that the hostility (where? :p) is out of the way.

If anyone has any suggestions, and sorry, but we're currently not accepting "Failure" as an option. ;)

So yeah, get those thoughts posted.

10. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    AndyBryan brings up an excellent point . . . .

Isn't recognition from one's peers for an accomplishment supposed to be an HONOR ???

To use this year's Academy Awards as an example .... which is completely relevant .... does the fact that Lord of the Rings did not win BEST PICTURE mean it is any less of a quality film, or that people will be less likely to want to see it?

Or ... does the fact that Harry Potter or American Pie 2 weren't nominated for Academy Awards lessen the appeal of the films and make people any less likely to watch/rent them?

Focus on the Celebration and Honoring of your fellow FanFilmmakers ... rather than the attitude of "I'm better than you." The only "competition" that will be created will be that which is perpetuated by cynacists and the like.

Your opinions are yours ... but don't bring the rest of us down with you.

The End. :D

11. Cockatiel

Cockatiel Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    I'm new and really don't know what this whole awards thing is but here's a very cute idea.

Call them "The Jar-Jar awards" and the statue is Jar Jar.

Think about the fun you could have for the trailer "Yousa make a fan film? woo-hoo!".

And it rolls off your tongue too ...

"And the Jar-Jar goes to ..."
    (instead of "And the Oscar goes to ...".

And if you wanted a name for the awards it could be called "Gunganfest 02'" ... eh on second thoughts the official title that sounds better is that Jedi one.

But don't discount the Jar-Jar to be your Oscar, that's a mad name. ;)

Hope this helped. :):)

12. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Ahh the controversy.
    Good to see you boys managed to keep it all civil. Well done :) I think it's worth stating the TFN postion in all of this, as a few posters seem to be confusing this new site with the TFN site.

This is NOT a site that has anything to do with TFN. One of the things TFN has always done (and always will do) is remain neutral towards every film, they all have equal billing. This is going to remain the case, even if/when this idea does catch on, TFN will not be posting icons on our film download pages stating 'Winner of the Hokey-Kokey awards 2002' period.

Having said that, awards are part of everyday life, so there is nothing wrong in OTHER sites going down this route. It's a free internet, and you can do what you want. Each of the awards sites/competitions (that I know of) require the creators to actually submit their films for entry. Obviously if you don't agree with the process, don't submit your film for entry. It's really that simple.

JediTAC asked me to create a poll thread for this, which I did. That one was then asked to be locked (by one of the site co-creators) and this is the resulting thread. Becuase I posted the initial poll thread people may have confused this offering with an official TFN initiative, which it isn't. Apologies for any confusion. On the TFN fanfilm boards we don't have poll threads available for posters (for the very reason that TFN don't encourage this type of comparison between films on the site) which was why I had to open up the last poll thread. Hopefully this has cleared up any confusion that may have been caused.

Good luck with your new site :)

13. Thesabresmith

Thesabresmith Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2001
    Ok i have been reading this thread for so long, i forgot what the topic was supossed to be!?! ;)

I think fan film awards are a good idea, like Tac just said just because a film doesn't win or is not even nominated, does not mean that it isn't any good, alot of the films which should win often dont.

Ok and somewhere in here i think i remember an insinuation about Tac Helping newbies? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH... sorry... thats funny... You aren't just luring newbies into a dark corner of the net and smacking them with fish are you Tac?

I think awards would be good, and do not put other people down, unless they are something like the ones which award the "worst of". That would be offensive.

I dont think it would cause any more competition than there is already, which isn't very much. I myself aim to always improve, i aim to be as good as, or better than the films i think are the best.... i dont know, i think enough people have said enough about all of this... i just wanted to throw a couple of pennies in.

Oh one last thing: TFN does discriminate, they view the submissions and those they think are "inferior" for one reason or another they do not host. I do not blame them for this, i understand the problem of bandwidth and such. But does that give the impression that because TFN does not host something that it isn't worth viewing? I just wanted to add that.

I like the "funny" names people came up with... i honestly, totally lost the thread of this thread. I think the "Sithies" Would be good. but then i am tired.

Everyone just breath deep and remember the code...

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I guess because you don't agree, you wouldn't accept an award for TESBY from your peers either. - AndyBryan

Of course I would. I'm sure the others involved in the film love award ceremonies. I happen not to.

To use this year's Academy Awards as an example .... which is completely relevant .... does the fact that Lord of the Rings did not win BEST PICTURE mean it is any less of a quality film, or that people will be less likely to want to see it?

Or ... does the fact that Harry Potter or American Pie 2 weren't nominated for Academy Awards lessen the appeal of the films and make people any less likely to watch/rent them?

Not at all, but you really can't compare the world of Fan Film making with the world of Hollywood

Focus on the Celebration and Honoring of your fellow FanFilmmakers ... rather than the attitude of "I'm better than you." The only "competition" that will be created will be that which is perpetuated by cynacists and the like.

I agree. Unfortunately there are a hell of a lot of them out there

Your opinions are yours ... but don't bring the rest of us down with you.

I'm not. I stated about 7 hours ago I was gonna let this drop, but yet you still continue to make little digs. If I now stop, will you?

[/i]You aren't just luring newbies into a dark corner of the net and smacking them with fish are you Tac?[/i] - TheSabreSmith

What are you implying here? :p

15. AndyBryan

Nov 13, 2001
    Halibut-
    Personally if I'd have wanted to express my views like you did, a PM who have done the job, and not turned a "We need a name for the awards" thread into a bit of a verbal bashing thread.

Anyway all that's done now, and your opinions have been heard.

The hostilities end here.

So anymore suggestions?

:)

16. Huginn

Huginn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2002
    I like -
    Jedi Choice Fan Film Awards

17. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Well call it the FanFilm Awards, or if we the public get to vote, the FanFilm Choice Awards. The mascot can then be the lovely little creatures that Jabba likes to knock off onto the podrace track, the nuna. :)

Chris
    Does this guarantee me a screen credit?

18. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    First off, Halibut, i understand and am not offended at all.

I'll just chalk up all the negetive comments to incomplete information, which is our fault,and we are not giving the information on purpose.

All of the negetive things I have heard here we have already figured out, you will see that EVERY concern so far has already been accounted for.

No harm done.

Cya
    Mike

19. Digital_LlamaCH

Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2001
    My response to all this:

The Celebration 2 "official" fanfilm awards, as far as recognizing the fanfilm world goes, is greatly handicapped by their need to stick to copyright law.

These awards give a chance for all fanfilms to stand up and be counted.

Just my .02.

-Chris

20. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    And here I was hoping to quickly scan this topic...

Chris - I hope that was your two PENCE worth! :p

OK, So i just thought it'd be a good idea to explain why I did one award on the FanFilmFX.com site.

I decided to do a "viewer's choice award" because:

1 - the site was slow
    2 - it was a bit of fun
    3 - it was only ONE award
    4 - I wanted a pretty graphic
    5 - hopefully it pulled in a few more visitors
    6 - hopefully it went to the film that deserved it the most (it wasn't necessarily the film i wanted to win, but then again, it may have been - i'm trying to be impartial here)

Now, The fact of the matter is that it basically became a fight between the makers and maker's friends of two film: Precious Cargo and Zero Hour. Each person registered purely to knock their film/friends film into the lead because they were neck and neck.

I was disapointed that it came to this and will not run the award for at least a year or so.

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

21. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    hmmmmmmmmmm now it's hard to come up with a catchy, yet official sounding name for these... "the Fanfilm Awards" is good, but it doesn't have that ZIMG to it... but hey, i'm sure the first year of the academy awards, people were saying "huh? whazzat? sounds hokey!" so, i say keep it simple, and make it easily recognizable.... the FanFilm Awards...

yea....

22. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    Like I told Andy, call it "The Forcies", kind of like "The Emmys"

;)

23. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    since I don't want to read the whole thing (sorry for being off topic) but who is Andy? I saw it mentioned another time here

24. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    I believe they are talking about AndyBryan.

25. Cockatiel

Cockatiel Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    Nobody likea Jar Jar Binks? ;):):p

EDIT: Oh and here's another Idea how about calling them "The Wookiee Awards" and the trophy can still be Jar Jar ... or a Chewie ... or an R2 ... or something loveable!!!!! :eek: ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.