main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Natalie Portman, CANNOT act

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarkLord_Tyrannus, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Well said Jabbadabbado. Everyone acts like it's all Lucas' fault because Natalie Portman gave one good performance ten years ago.

And well, I guess Lucas IS to blame. He's the director, he's the one who cast Natalie, and he's the one who should be encouraging better performances from her. In the end, he's responsible for everything in the final cut of the film.

But don't act like Natalie is completely innocent here. It's not like she's some great actress, and sucky ol' Lucas is deliberately forcing her to be sucky. If Portman were a better actress, or even if she had any amount of enthusiasm for acting, she could pull it off. Hayden was great in the movie. Ewan was great, most of the minor characters were good too. Natalie Portman, what happened?

P.S. I'll admit she improved a lot since TPM, but still, she's easily the worst of all the lead Star Wars actors.

2. Darth-Richard

Darth-Richard Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    Hayden actually expressed that his stage acting abilities played nicely while working with bluescreen because on stage you have to do a lot of imagining in the theater cuz your sets may be limiting and even people/cast.

3. Count_Saruman_1138

Count_Saruman_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    I will admit that out of all of the AOTC cast members (McGregor, Lee, Oz, Jackson, Christensen, etc.), she seemed to me to be the least inspired. Everyone else seemed to me to be inspired and having (as Lee puts it) fun on the movie.

That being said, I think she was all right. Not the best, but not as bad as some people claim. Her best acting attribute is definatley in her eyes and expressions. Just the looks of her eyes at Anakin expresses so many emotions from pity to happy to terrified. Besides, Lucas knows that she is great eye candy to all of the male Star Wars fans. ;)

4. Rynobot

Rynobot Jedi Master star 1

Aug 16, 2000
    All I can say is I would have thought she would have done better, she had lots of lines that she could have done better.

5. Amidoll

Amidoll Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2000
    If you have no will to change it, you have no right to critisize it.

I'm not here to defend Natalie's performance in AOTC, and yes, I will jump the bandwagon. She screwed up. An understatement. And no, as much as I'd like to join others as they blame Lucas instead, he's not completely to blame. Sure, Natalie could have tried a little better, and yes, that was her fault for not putting more effort BUT.... that does NOT mean she is the worst actress on the face of the earth.
    I challenge everyone who thinks that to name a single actress who could have played Padme instead.
    Leelee Sobieski?
    Katie Holmes?
    Rachel Leigh Cook?
    Julia Stiles?
    Kirsten Dunst?

Don't use the girl as a scapegoat. If you wanted to see Padme give an Oscar-calibre performance, you should have auditioned for the role when it was offered since YOU seem to think you're Mr. Lee Strasberg reincarnated.

There have been many bad acting performances in the history of film, what's the difference between this one and the others?

Natalie Portman CAN act. Did she not receive a Golden Globe nomination for her role in "Anywhere But Here" acting opposite Susan Sarandon? That was in 1999, not 10 years ago.

6. Jedi_Lite

Jedi_Lite Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Leelee Sobieski maybe. The rest I could never picture in my entire life. I actually can't picture ANYONE ELSE in the role now that it's been Natalie's for 2 films.

7. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    DarkLord_Tyrannus = Ric Olie!

Natalie Portman is one of the few actresses that seems to get worse as she gets older. I thought her best role was in Heat where she didn't have any lines and was just still! :D

8. Vodstok

Vodstok Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    Okay, everyone who is a better actor than Natalie Portman, give me some proof,and then raise your hand.
    What, no proof? No hands? Then be quiet. Critics are much like the stereotypical (which is not to say true, so back off) teacher, as in the saying "Those who cannot do, teach". While that isn't the case, I have never in my life seen a critic that can do what they criticize.
    Hate a movie? Write one better, and quit complaining.
    Hate a book? Write one better.
    Hate an actor? Do better.
    Bitching about their ability accomplishes nothing but irritating their fans, and in some cases stroking a fragile, weak ego. Threads like this devolve from an expression of opinion into a "who's right, who's wrong" argument, when in these cases, the subject matter is so subjective as to not be arguable. There is no "Talentometer" that can give you a concrete value for someone's ability.

For the record, I like Natalie Portman. (everyone here forgot to mention Heat. She was great in that movie) As far as the acting in Star Wars? While I am trying to write a storyline and screenplay that I think will rival Star wars (fingers crossed), quite frankly, I'm always too caught up in the world that I never see anything in it as a performance. It's like I'm watching the "Real World" in another universe.

9. Darth-Richard

May 22, 2002
    I believe people are saying she's just not kickin' it in Star Wars, not as an actress overall. And besides, just as someone can have a bad performance, people can also have good performances. So there is no telling what any of the people you listed could've done as Padme.

And get rid of the pretentious line about crticism. ANYTHING at ANYTIME can be critiqued. I bet you'll critic what I've just posted. C'mon, Portman ain't above the actor's law. She's not stepping up to the plate with these PT. At least Jake Lloyd gave it his all, even if he sucked. But with what she has said, she just gives up and allows a flat performance. That's HIGHLY unprofessional, even to admit that.

10. Amidoll

Amidoll Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2000
    Vodstok, that was beautiful.
    I commend you for everything you said. :)

11. Darth-Richard

May 22, 2002
    Hey, Charlie_Martel. That wasn't HEAT that was Episode II. Oh, no. Wait. Her performance just felt like that.

12. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Leelee Sobieski?
    Katie Holmes?
    Rachel Leigh Cook?
    Julia Stiles?
    Kirsten Dunst?

Why stop there? :p Thora Birch, Eliza Dushku, Alicia (whoops, forgot her lastname :p)....ummm...only those do I currently remember.

[face_mischief]

13. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    Hey Vodstok, you want me to act like a female senator better than Natalie Portman? I can just easily tell by the way she delivers lines and the emotionless acting, that she is just not a good actress. Compared to many other actresses at least.

"You do better" is the greatest way for a person with a weak-argument to defend something!

14. Darth Blasphemous

Darth Blasphemous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 1999
    I would only accept Katie Holmes if she rejects Anakin the same way she rejected Greg Kinnear in "The Gift."
    (i.e. Totally topless with the "twins" in full view, and I don't mean Luke and Leia ;) )

15. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Or maybe George could've hired an unknown actress who actually has seen the films and understands the characters better than Natalie.

There are a whole sea of talented, pretty girls who could act circles around Natalie, and are probably more deserving of the role.

If George cast Natalie Portman just to have a big name in the credits to attract audience members, then that just plain stinks. I thought it was about storytelling George, not box-office?

16. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    I am for Thora Birch! She is a great actress.

17. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Or maybe George could've hired an unknown actress who actually has seen the films and understands the characters better than Natalie.

There are a whole sea of talented, pretty girls who could act circles around Natalie, and are probably more deserving of the role.

Name one ;) And understanding the franchise being a criteria for selecting actors...can't agree with that. Not all of the LOTR cast have even read the book, but they did well IMHO.

Still, would have been fun to see Eliza Dushku in the role.

:)

18. DarkLord_Tyrannus

DarkLord_Tyrannus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    It is funny isnt it. Many of the guys think one good performance which was overrated by the way, makes someone a good actress.

Face it fellas, you are thinking with your lil heads only when you say that Natalie Portman can act. The way she spit her lines at Anakin were weak and needed more Passion with them.

"we use to swim there on school retreat" ewww that was so horrible. the way she said it.

Other Horrible Actresses - Jennifer Lopez (most definitely horrible) but guys like her because...well duh...

You want a good actress??? Julia Roberts, majority of her movies are top notch, even her horrible movies she acts well and this girl is not pretty either.

I can go on forever my young JEDis.

19. quietlunatic

quietlunatic Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2001
    DarkLOrd_Tyrannus, CANNOT punctuate his sentences correctly. [face_plain]

20. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    Name one And understanding the franchise being a criteria for selecting actors...can't agree with that. Not all of the LOTR cast have even read the book, but they did well IMHO.

I can't name an unknown actress! 8-} Any girl from Broadway or in local theaterwould do. They aren't that hard to find. Look at Rose Byrne (Dorme). A virtual unknown but a welcome addition. I could even imagine her as a better Amidala.

As for LOTR, do you know which specific actors didn't read the book? Just curious.

21. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Julia Roberts, majority of her movies are top notch, even her horrible movies she acts well and this girl is not pretty either

I hated her in 'Michael Collins'. She was the only flaw in that movie (great Neeson movie BTW. His best role, IMHO)

:D

22. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    "do you know which specific actors didn't read the book?"

The only ones who have really read it are McKellan and of course, Chris Lee. Even in McKellan's case, he read it only after getting the role (he has read 'The Hobbit' before, if I'm not mistaken). The actor who played Legolas was once quoted as saying he tried to read the book, then got bored and went for girls instead :p

Still for me, all of them were just incredible. Can't wait to see Miranda Otto! Ummm..but all this is for a different thread :p

I can't name an unknown actress!

I can ;) Lindsay Felton...how many here know her?

:D

23. LemmeSeeYaIYiYi

LemmeSeeYaIYiYi Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    You're all stupid trolls, go away. You wouldn't know good acting if it hit you in the head. Specially you Jabba, you should shut up the most. I doubt you know anything about film. I doubt any of you know anything about it.

24. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    ---I can ;) Lindsay Felton...how many here know her?---

Yeah, I haven't heard of her, but I did do a check on her on imdb.com. http://us.imdb.com/Name?Felton,+Lindsay

Can't say I've seen any of her work, though I've always wanted to see 3 Ninjas: High Noon at MegeMountain. :D [face_laugh]

25. grandmoffg

grandmoffg Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 1998
    man, I got shot down on my other topic, but i guess running is a part of acting, and she just can't run. Shes like highstepping. It was easily the worst bit of running i've seen in a movie...surely she could "act" like she knew how to run...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.