main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena NCAA conference realignment?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue...Jedi, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Throw in Rutgers and Pitt still has that New York/Philly recruiting grounds.

2. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    If that happens I don't see how the Big 10 can pass on trying to land Missouri and Kansas. Missouri would have a pretty good rivalry with Illinois and having a program like Kansas would be a huge boost to Big 10 basketball.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I still think Rutgers wants to go to the Big Ten if they go anywhere. If you're going to be pretty much irrelevant in the two biggest sports, you might as well get the biggest check you can, right?

4. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

Yep, that's a distinct possibility. I thought that I saw Kansas and K-State being a package deal, but I could be misremembering that, though.

5. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Apparently, Texas is considering joining the ACC. I think that would be hilarious, seeing as Texas/Texas A&M would become yet another in-state rivalry between the ACC and SEC.

6. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I wouldn't mind Uconn joining the ACC just so we'd have the chance to kick Edsall's ass every year.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm disappointed since the Big East Tournament was always extremely fun to watch, every year. I do hope that UConn and Rutgers get into the ACC though. That will go a long way in bringing some of the Big East charm to the ACC, though I do feel bad for Louisville, Georgetown and Villanova.

As a Syracuse fan though, I'm looking forward to this move. I hope MSG becomes the main host for the ACC tourney, it'll be good for the ACC and New York.

8. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if Big East non-basketball schools formed their own conference. Louisville's gotta put it self out there. If the Big East goes down, it needs somewhere to land.

9. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I don't know what to make of Pitt and Cuse in the ACC. It's great for bball for sure.
    I would go after Louisville next, great basketball, has football potential and great commitment to olympic sports as well.

10. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    A normally political guy, the guy that does fivethirtyeight.com did something for the NY Times sports blog looking at how the realignments work based on the number of fans various schools have. Makes a LOT of this fall into place if his numbers are all alright.
    http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

Also, Oklahoma has just approved authority for the university president to change conferences.
    edit: Texas too, now.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Good read, Lowie. Thanks for the link.

12. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Very interesting article, but like the author said, there is a good bit of guess work in it. It's a good frame of reference.

13. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    There definitely is, but it does also seem to explain why the Pac-10 has been in the position of really trying to pull in new teams, while the Big 10 and the SEC haven't been.

14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, it does.

I saw via Twitter that West Virginia had been rejected by both the ACC and SEC. Looks like their best option would be a Big East/Big 12 merger. I can't see them getting into the Big 10, their academics just aren't strong enough, and they don't bring a big new market.

15. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
  16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Interested in how Auburn and Alabama fans feel about that rumor. I wonder if we'll get a lot of the same feelings and thoughts that myself and other Buckeye fans (and Wolverine fans) had last year when they decided to put us in opposite divisions, but we ultimately got to keep our end-of-the-regular-season slot.

Missouri is the third best target in the Big 12, IMO, after Texas and Oklahoma.

17. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    This whole thing is getting beyond absurd now.

Thank you, BCS.

You've had such a wonderful influence upon this once great game.

You've managed to incorporate new heights in money grabbing greed amongst learning institutions.
    You've managed to create more controversy in deciding a National Champion, when all it would've taken was an "And one" game to fix it.
    You've managed to destroy traditions between old rivals.
    You've even managed to destroy traditional rivalries in college basketball now.
    You've managed to destroy the traditions of the old bowl games.
    You've managed to lock out potentially worthy teams from ever competing for a National Championship, which is why a lot of them are now scrambling to try to join these super conferences.

Again, thank you. =D=

Man, I miss what college football used to be.

18. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Things are going to be crazy for the next few weeks as all these moves take place. It seems like something new pops up every day.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'll go ahead and through this out there: I don't like any of the expansion going on right now. I'll get used to it eventually, I suppose, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

20. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Given that my teams will only serve to get hammered by these moves, I won't really like these moves for quite a while either. However, we knew it would come, so I can say that at least these moves didn't come as a total surprise.

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It's unpleasant, but hardly unexpected. At least we might get a playoff out of it. As one of those people who enjoys college hoops more than college football, it'sort of discouraging to see (but not surprising) that it is second fiddle at best.

22. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    GT is #11 in the country? Forgive me if I'm skeptical. I'd be surprised if we had 10% in our own state.

23. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Not as long as the BCS is around.

Big East talking about going for the military academies now. Can't wait for that huge rivalry game between TCU and Navy!

Why don't they just cut to the chase and divide every one up into geographical divisions, with each division winner going to a playoff and having the championship game at the end, while paying the players something because who they play for is making money off of them.

Oh wait, we already have that. It's called the National Football League. Or "NFL" for those who don't know yet.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    True, it probably will take a while. I'm still subscribing to the idea of once we eventually get the 4 superconferences, they'll eventually leave the NCAA (for football, at least) and have their own playoff system. That's going to take a very long time, though.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Getting tired of Texas and the Pac-X teasing me with massive realignment rumors, just to decide it doesn't make sense and for Texas to announce a desire to "bring stability to the Big XII".

Of course, I would love Army and/or Navy to join the Big East for football, if only because it would be awesome for one of them to regularly have a good chance at a BCS game. Don't think AFA to the Big East makes sense at all, but I could see the Big XII going after them if they decide to stay together.