main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Need stuff, advice, and/or general help

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by FaLLeN-AnGeL, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I've got an all new problem, yay.

I've just formatted a computer from the local school (used to have win98 on it) and I'm trying to install XP. The problem is the computer does not seem to recognise the cd drive and I can't get into a Bios screen to play with it.

Any ideas anyone ?

2. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    hm, winxp boot (floppy) disks? (Im not sure, never tried, does winxp install from a dos os? If so, use a dos floppy boot disk)

Are you sure it wont get into the bios?

3. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I've tried everything that I thought might have accessed the bios (pressing del, f1, escape) while starting up.

It does not actually say anything about the bios while it boots up though.

4. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    As far as I know, XP isn't Dos based, so that idea may not work. Try using another CD drive perhaps?

5. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Might help to check the motherboard to see what the manufacturer and model is, then go to the manufacturer's website. That has a few benefits. Firstly, you might be able to find out anything you need to know about the bios. Also you can get any drivers you might need.
    As for boot discs, presumably it's set up so you can boot from floppys (this can be disabled in the bios but usually isn't)? A quick web search should turn up a few websites that provide boot floppies for various purposes. Should be able to download the files to make a boot floppy that at least takes you to a command prompt with CD drivers, Then you should be able to get to your install CD's setup. I have an older machine with win98SE on it so I could send you a boot floppy with CDROM drivers if you need one.

6. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Does anyone know what the controls for a PS2 would relate to on a PC keyboard? The control I am specifically after is the L1 button, but it'd be good to know where I can find all of them if I need others converted.

Either that or can you point me in the direction of an official (as in not cheating) game guide for the pc, because the one I have found on Gamespot (which you need to be registed for to see) only seems to have the PS2 controls, even though I am in the PC section.

I am trying to find out how to give a girl flowers @};-, because that tip doesn't come up when you pick them up and that key is what I need to actually hand them over and I can't progress [face_love] with her without it.

7. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    buh?

Running an emulator - you can configure the controls.

If you plugged a keyboard into a ps2, no idea (I know they have usb, but doe it work with any keyboard?) just mash the keyboard until you find it

8. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    We have the PC version of the game, and I am using a keyboard on the PC (we don't own a PS2). But the user guide I found is written for the PS2, so the controls are munted for it. It is telling me to hit a key that doesn't exist on the keyboard.

9. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I often find the guides on Gamefaq.com are better and they seem to cater to PC gamers a bit better. No registration needed either.

10. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    My disc for Paint Shop Pro 8 with Animation Shop is scratched to all hell and refuses to be read. I am unable to find the same version available for trial download and the one version I did download doesn't come with Animation Shop (which I use just as frequently as PSP).

I've heard that the latest version of PSP sucks since Corel took over Jasc and I don't want to waste my time downloading an inferior program if it doesn't live up to the earlier versions. So I'm wondering if any of you out there have used any version above 8, was it better or worse than 8, and does it come with Animation Shop?

It has to be available for trial download because I have no money to buy the software yet, but I really need to get PSP back on my machine (I shouldn't have uninstalled it without checking the damn disc!)

11. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    I have psp 8 (anim shop 3 I believe) demo somewhere around here. Handy program, you can import photoshop filters into it.

Although I think I'd still rather use photoshop itself..

12. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Photoshop also comes with Image Ready which is good for animated GIFs. Not sure if that's the kind of animation you're after though.

13. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    You can do simple animations extremely fast with Image Ready.

14. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    I always used to use Photoshop, but then version 5 came out and I found that they changed too much. Also around that time one of the courses I was doing used PaintShop and I found that it had everything I loved about Photoshop and was still easy to use. They should never mess with the programs.

15. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    While I think of it, has anyone seen Worms 4: Mayhem floating around to buy for the PC anywhere? We went into an EB store the other day and they had just sold out of it and weren't getting any more in. Has this game been out for longer than I realise? We've got the demo and it rocks and I want to kick Soup's butt playing more than one level over and over again. I also really wanna make a punk team and see what other things I can change.

16. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I have seen it floating around in some capacity. I have not gamed for ages :(

17. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I didn't know they had a worms 3? I got the first 2 (and thought the 1st one was the better of the 2)

18. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I'll go into EB after work and see if they have it there. I think I remember seeing it last time.

There's been a number of Worms games lately. The last two, including Worms 4, were the first of them in full 3D. I prefer Worms World Party myself :p

19. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    I haven't played World Party yet. I don't even know where the demo of Mayhem came from, but it rocks. What's World Party like? Any ideas where I can grab a demo from?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a demo of World Party, now I just have to download it...

20. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    World Party is good. haven't had much of a chance to play it though. Very good play options, probably the best (and last) of the 2D worms generation.

21. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I think the main reason I like the first one best is because I don't really like the cutesy style of graphics they went to after that.

22. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    World Party is great fun. Awesome super weapons lol I love Concrete Donkey.

23. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Does anyone use any of the all-in-one messenger programs that are out there? I used to use Trillian, but didn't like the fact that I was losing certain capabilities the other programs offered (I used it years ago, I have no idea what it's like now), then I stopped using more than one messenger program so decided it wasn't worth having an all-in-one program. Now I'm back to the possibility of using more than one IM program so I'm attempting to find out what inter-operable messenger programs there are around. Do you use any? Give me your reviews, or just pros and cons of the program you use.

24. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Anyone running XP x64 edition?
    I'm chasing a decent DVD player. For some reason, even though x64 runs 32 bit programs it chucks a wobbly with decoders.

25. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I use trillian and it does all I want. Not sure what's changed in the past few years in it but give it another go. I'm not sure what others are available.

And Griz - my advice on XP64 is to ditch it. I've been published a couple of times recently in APCmag talking about it. I had so many problems getting things to work in it that I went back to XP pro. X64's really just a beta for Vista I suspect so I'm holding out for that before upgrading again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.