main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Neighbors

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by DarthTunick , Feb 7, 2012.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I've been living at my current residence since July of 2005, and only barely know 3 neighbor's, and when I mean by barely know, it's been a couple of instances of a "Hello, there" greeting. Couldn't tell you their names.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I only know two of my neighbors. Their names are "Noisy Lady Who Lives Above Me" and "Asian Couple With The Baby".

3. nostalgia

nostalgia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2011
    On my left, we have the family with the extremely loud and reckless kids that are getting ready to be removed by CPS.

On my right, we've got Mr. I'm-gonna-wake-up-at-three-and-smoke-half-naked-on-my-porch-every-day.

That's all I know.

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Everybody needs good neighbours, with a little understanding...

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    who has time for making friends with people for no other reason besides locality? it's pot luck whether you actually, like, get on, or have shared interests. work colleagues/associates are bad enough for this kind of thing.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I know my neighbours well enough, most have been around my whole life.

But, most of them don't speak great english apart from "hello", so I don't really ever have much in terms of conversation with them :p

7. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    We have some pretty excellent neighbors here. The house on one side is an older snowbird couple that spends the winters in Arizona, and the house on the other side is Wisconsin's first same-sex couple to adopt more than one special-needs child, whom we have had a blast getting to know.

We don't know the people across the street, but they let us set up the big telescope in their driveway anytime.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Except for a very brief period when I was a boy, I have almost never known any of my neighbors. Often times I couldn't even pick them out of a crowd, and for the remainder things never really extended beyond polite conversation.

9. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm currently living in my neighbor's house while they are on vacation.

10. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    20 acres and 3 neighbors. Met one at the bookstore the other day after she gave me her address to order a book.

11. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Was not a very good movie.

12. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    The first two places I have any memory of living at- an apartment and then a house- my family took the time to meet neighbors and I made friends with other kids and so on. We moved to the house where the rest of my family currently lives in mid-2000, and I haven't really met much of anyone. My parents still take the time and know several neighbors, and my sister did too, but it was never a priority for me. I probably wouldn't have met anyone at the other places either if my parents hasn't made attempts to reach out.

I think a lot of the attitude towards meeting neighbors changed after 9/11. For or better or for worse- in my opinion absolutely the latter- people have become far more paranoid in general, or, if not that, at least less trusting. We live in a less easygoing world, which is sad.

Of course, as I already said, I was already less inclined to meet neighbors, but that was just because I had different priorities, not because I was less trusting. I'm often far too trusting as it is.:p

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    We have a block party twice a year and I know nearly everyone by name. Their kids are all friends with my sons. We have a block email group for sharing lost pet alerts and babysitting requests and local news about neighborhood crime and complaining about our failing sewer system and so on. It feels like a real community, and it's very hard to imagine living anywhere else.

14. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Mr. Zap [face_love]
    We gonna hang out in O Town again my friend?
    And Kate - I love that movie.:p

15. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    good fences make good neighbors

16. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Not going.:p

Perhaps next if they have one, depending on where it is. But please not Orlando.

17. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I don't really know my neighbors, the only ones I recall is that creepy guy with a mustang and the college girl with an annoying small dog.

18. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    One of my neighobors was playing a loud syntheisized-sounding xylophone at 11 last night. Freaked me out!

19. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    the neighbor on my right is a swordsmith. the neighbor to my left a whirling dervish.

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    We have Maltese immigrants on either side, great people. We collect each others' mail when on holiday and the like.

Fond memories as a kid of going to their kids' enormous weddings and getting drunk at the age of 12.

21. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    Man do I know how you feel. I've been posting on the these boards coming up nine years and still don't know half the people's first names.

22. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The neighbor's to my left are a family, while those to my right are a very good looking couple.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

23. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I don't even know the names of my roommates.

24. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Growing up, I knew most of our neighbors really well & spent a lot of time with the kids to the left of us. Then we moved to a new neighborhood about 8 or 9 years ago & I know the names of maybe two neighbors but I don't think I've spoken to any of them. It's a really strange dynamic here...very gossipy. When we first moved in apparently people were talking & saying that my dad was living with his wife & girlfriend [face_laugh]

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You don't know the names of your parents?