main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New 6" Black Series Coming From Hasbro

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT , Jan 30, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    TFN Main is reporting that Hasbro will be producing a new 6" line based on OT (and some PT) characters.

Priced at $19.99, these 6" action figures will be more detailed and more articulated than the current 3 3/4" scale line.

The first of four waves is scheduled for an early to mid-August release and includes an Imperial Sandtrooper, Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot), R2-D2 and Darth Maul.

Hit the link to see the TFN story for more information and to see a pic of Luke!

Edit - don't know if I'll buy the first release but I do like the packaging! (Note - the 'black' in the title refers to the packaging..)

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I think these look AMAZING. It's too bad they didn't conceive of these in the days after they killed the Unleashed line, they'd have had collectors lining up to get them then.

That Luke is BEAUTIFUL. I can't wait to see the rest of them. I've sort of given up on the smaller figures - too many of them, too many repacks, hard to find, etc - these I can see hunting down and collecting, particularly if they stick to only make a limited number each year.

FYI Rebelscum said that Hasbro and Gentle Giant were working together to develop these - that certainly explains the amazing details and quality of the sculpting.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Twenty bucks for super-posability? Sign me up!

4. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes, these looks fantastic - interesting that the news broke first re: a USA today article.

I'll be getting some of these, if I can find them that is. I hope the distribution is better with these than with the small "Vintage Collection" figures in the past 1 1/2 years - which, in my experience, have been impossible to find @ retail stores in many cases.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Don't omit Amazon in your searches - I've found some good stuff on the UK site. Unfortunately due to licensing you normally can only have toys/figures sent to certain countries so best to look on whatever site is local to you. I think the UK site will only ship them within the EU. And I know the US site normally won't ship them to the UK.

6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I've never collected any figures of star wars, but id love to get all the different troopers. Why no love for the PT? I want Clonetrooper, Jango Fett, Count Dooku, Qui Gon Jinn & Captain Panaka. Will they Black series those characters?

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    They're only releasing 8 figures total for 2013 - they've got Darth Maul in the first batch, I'm sure PT characters will be coming down the road.

CoolyFett likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I'd be looking for a Fett. I don't really see anything in the first release that I want. That might change when I see pics of the other figures.

9. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Ditto Les :) I am looking forward to see what Hasbro will be offering for this line...

10. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I'll pick up each of these in the first series, and every other thereafter. I stopped collecting the 3 3/4" line when, well, I got all I wanted. And I much rather prefer the larger size, as I love the Sideshow figures I do have, but it's simply too expensive for me. At $20 bucks each, I'll pick 'em all up. I'm pleased that Hasbro is expanding Star Wars as a figure brand, and hopefully this bodes well for the future. But I NEED a Bespin Han and Luke, and gimme Vader!

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    BTW other sites are hinting that there might be 2 characters in the SDCC special edition and that fans will go bezerk - I'm thinking it'll be Boba Fett and Han in Carbonite.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    The 411: Hasbro's SDCC 2013 Exclusives

According to our spies, a 6-inch scale Black Series Boba Fett will be part of Hasbro's 2013 San Diego Comic-Con exclusive offerings. Now, before you get upset at the thought of a main character being offered as a convention exclusive, consider that Hasbro's recent track record has been to make their exclusives available at retail post-convention. What's more, Boba Fett comes in a variety of decos so it's also plausible that the exclusive could be a paint variant such as the animated debut or McQuarrie concept Fett.

No Bothans were harmed in the delivery of this message.

Source: Rebelscum

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, I won't be heading to Comic Con so I hope it is available at retail.

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I haven't yet made the trip to Comic Con, as it's just not financially feasible. It took me nearly a year to save up for CVI, and that was after encountering some bumps along the way. So... I scout eBay and post friends at other conventions.

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    My advice snag those exclusives on ebay the second they hit. I did that w/ my Mara Jade statue from CVI this summer - I got her for like $70 - they're now going for twice that.

16. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    This could be good but I'd rather see Unleashed back to be honest.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I liked that line as well.

18. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    Really looking forward to this line - but seriously I find nothing more annoying than the CC Exclusives :( Wont be attending and wont afford the auctions post-con!

(...Oh, and Hasbro - making Boba Fett the SDCC Exclusive? Reaaaally shameless.)

But. Alas. Life goes on... So how about some speculation on the 2nd wave of Black Series figs this year?

Who are you guys expecting or wanting to see in TBS before the year is up?

I'm expecting we'll see a retail Fett (Lots of talk that the SDCC version will come with Carbonite Han) but I'm really unsure on the rest. I'm guessing they'll spread the big name characters across longer periods so I'm not expecting a Han or Leia yet... I could see maybe a Chewie this year, and possibly a battle/destroyer droid. Vader or Anakin seem feasible too.

As for what I'd want to see - I'd love Grand Moff Tarkin and ANH Obi Wan (even if not this year) and I'd happily allow variants of Amidala w/different outfits - the detailing would be incredible!

Oh also, as a side note - I'd love them to do something like the Wampa in this series. Would be something different to the norm! :)

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I'm sure we'll see a retail Fett at some point. He's too popular a character to leave as an exclusive.

20. Darth Venator

Mar 1, 2013
    Yup. I can see why they're releasing him at SDCC from a moneymaking perspective but damn, it still annoys me!

I hope the retail one isn't too different - would hate him to be too clean. Give me some battle damage!

Any thoughts on the other releases, Laj? Wants/Do not wants?

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm mainly a Fett-related collector (Jango, Boba, Slave I). I've bought other things that have interested me though. However, none of the 4 in the initial list really interest me right now.

22. Darth Venator

Mar 1, 2013
    Yeah, I spotted you in a few other threads talking about your collection! Any photos at all? Would love to see!

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    There are some old pics on the website in my signature.

24. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    The only one that catches my attention there is Darth Maul, but I'd have to see what they all look like first.

25. Darth Venator

Mar 1, 2013
    Any chance you could PM me the URL, Laj?

I'm posting from my phone so sigs aren't showing up!