main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New battledroid model

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Filip, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Filip

Filip Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2003
    Hello!
    I started working on a new battledroid. Check it out here:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/829389/BdWIP.jpg

Comments and criticues are welcome!

/Filip

PS: I know this is a stupid question, but how do I make the picture show up in the message?

2. Filip

Filip Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2003
    OK!
    I figured it out. Here's the pic:
    [image=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/829389/BdWIP.jpg]

3. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    very nice shapes you have there :)

4. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Yup... looks really good so far. Well done.

5. RylorTaduri

RylorTaduri Jedi Master star 2

Sep 2, 2002
    Nice.

What's your modelling technique?

6. Shadows_545

Shadows_545 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 21, 2002
    Wow, Nice Work!

7. Filip

Filip Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2003
    OK!
    Here´s a little update. I have been working on the back of the droid, but there is still a lot to be done for those parts, and some pieces are missing. My references are not the best for this part of the droid, so if anyone has something good, i'd be happy if you would share it with me.

There is also a little ugly crease on the "shoulder" part that I will try to fix later. Anyway, here's the picture:

[image=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/829389/update.jpg]

/Filip

8. Filip

Filip Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2003
    Oh, I forgot!

RylorTaduri:
    I'm modelling in Wings3d and cinema4d. I use wings to create polygon cages for the main parts, and then take these into cinema4d where i i turn them into subD:s. I add details to these surfaces (such as the "lines" on the chest) by drawing splines along these surfaces, sweeping a circle along these splines to create a pipe, and finally subtracting this pipe from the original shape with a boolean modifier.

Hmm, I hope this explanation wasn't too confusing...

/Filip

9. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Email me and I'll see what I can do to help with references. Too bad I can't get ahold of Adam Baroody b/c his BD is the best and I'm sure he has a ton of refs. His website: http://www.3dluvr.com/rogueldr/
    Links to his droid is in the news.

10. green-boy

green-boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2004
    Wow! That looks great! Keep at it! :)

11. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Awesome work! WHat program are you using?

~Rory

12. Filip

Filip Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2003
    Zoo: Did you get my mail?

/Filip

13. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Yea.. I'm in the middle of hurricane hell though. I just got power back yesterday... but I was out of town at a Phil Collins concert. Maybe today I can get some work done finally. I thought I did email that to you. Couple pics from the INSIDER's GUIDE cd-rom of the rear of the droid.

14. Filip

Filip Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2003
    Hello again!
    Progress on this project is slow but steady. Here is another small update. I have been working on the hips and the arms. Yesterday i found some new good references for the legs, so I started working on them as well, but they are not anywhere near finished so I didn't include them in the render:

[image=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/829389/progress2.jpg]

I also noticed that in this picture there is a "piston" missing on the upper arm. It must have been accidentally hidden.

The only area of the droid that I don't feel shure about at the moment is the "middle" part that connects the hip and the upper body. In most reference pictures this part is hidden by other parts, so I guess I will have to make something up.

If you notice something that doesn't look accurate please let me know.

/Filip

15. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Awesome work. I wish I could help more. I know Adam Baroody is hard to get ahold of. I'd probably never find him. Some of these guys... they have contacts and get ahold of professional private references.

16. Filip

Filip Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2003
    Hello!
    I haven't had time too work on this project very much recently,but here is another update, I have started to model the legs:
    [image=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/829389/progress3.jpg]

I have found some interesting references on the middle part that I talked about eralier, and it looks like I'm gonna have to rebuild that part. In one frame I captured from episode I, there is a closeup of the droid and a laserblast behind it, and the laserblast is visible through the droid. This made me realise that the middle part is not solid, but there is a big hole through it. Suddenly all my earlier refs made sense! I will correct this soon.

/Filip

17. Jackie_Chan_Fan

Jackie_Chan_Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    Hey! :) I'm alive! hehehe

I like it. Nice model. Looks like a great start. It looks like you've got your modelling technique down, but i would work on your proportions and details.

The stomach beam... or whatever you want to call it.. is too narrow, and the shape of it is a bit odd. The shoulder clamps as well are a little squished height wise it looks. Elbow joint discs too wide... perhaps too small of diameter.

But then again i'm so used to looking at mine, and i'm probably just judging it compared to my own. Though when i built mine i had alot of reference including a really good poster.

So i'm probably too picky. It really is nice. Keep going! You'll probably finish it before i finish my own :)

And for those curious.. no i havent given up on it yet :)

18. Filip

Filip Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2003
    Hello Jackie!
    Thanks for the comments. As you mentioned, and as I said in my previous post, the stomach beam is indeed a bit off and I´m planning to rebuild it.

About the shoulder part I´m not exactly shure what you mean, perhaps you could draw a little in the picture i posted to highlight the parts you refer to?

Also after having looked again at my reference I believe that the arms on my model are a little to short. I think the wrists should be below the hips when the arms are fully extended, but it´s hard to tell cause in my refs their arms are always bent.

If you have some good reference I would love to see it, is there a valid email adress on your site where I can reach you?

/Filip

19. Jackie_Chan_Fan

Jackie_Chan_Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    actually i'm sorry.. the shoulder clamp area looks ok actually. I thought they had looked a little squished hieght wise... but i was wrong, it looks pretty good i think.

I think it may have been an overall feeling of the entire body maybe not being elongated enough? I dont know... something kept making me think too short... perhaps cause hes not done, and perhaps cause i'm so used to looking at my own.

Keep going!

20. Filip

Filip Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2003
    Hello again!
    Sorry for the recent lack of updates. I have been busy with other things. I have started working on the backpack:

[image=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/829389/backpack.jpg]

/Filip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.