main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bing, NY New costume ideas or just reviving an old one.

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Karate-Jedi, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karate-Jedi

Karate-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2003
    As you all know my Mando costume has been going through some changes since it was first seen at the release of the new format DVDs that we attended in Syracuse. And after C3 it was revamped again to be the all black jump suit and the new beaten up armour.

Well it is going through another change.

I like my current bucket but, with my big nose it has been a pain to wear. My snoz is stuck up against the visor so, as from yesterday I have a new bucket coming. This one is a Mystery helmet so it should be bigger than the one I have. I will probably be selling my old one after I have copied the exact colours and markings to the new one.

I will post progress on this forum.

As for everyone else in the Binghamton group lets start seeing some pics of what you are woking on. Oh and JKL I want to see pics of your new costume. Give us a progress report.

2. TreborGahKor

TreborGahKor Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
  3. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    Strawbary is giving me her radio shack amp. I should have it soon. I am also looking at other ways of hearig what the hell is going on as well. Did JBV give you a listening gizmo. The one he gave me I had to take apart to have a look at the insides and well after playing around with it......well lets just say it's frelled.

KJ

4. Jem-Kerr-Lodemi

Jem-Kerr-Lodemi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2006
    Uh..guys...can I get a bit of advice on the belt I need for Leia...I don' t know what to make the belt out of...let alone I only have needle and thread...not much else to put things to gethere with. Ian, do you think I could come over perhaps Tuesday night so you can check out what I ahve done so far and give me ideas on the dress and stuff...I think I have it all pinned together right and just need to sew it then that's done and just need the belt. Ooh yeah...the damn buns too..lol

5. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    Sure you can. I will be home from 5.15 and I think I will be going out at about 7-7;30. Or if you want we can do Wednesday.

KJ

6. Jem-Kerr-Lodemi

Jul 30, 2006
    Great then Ian, I'll swing over around 5:45 then...if that's ok?? I know I dont' want to impose on dinner or anything. I have classes from Wednesday to Saturday this week..sucks for me..lol. So I have to try to squeeze things in....maybe we can also meet next week if I still need some help.

7. mrgr8ness

mrgr8ness Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2005
    Cool KJ, I am working on a Mystery bucket myself. They are pretty good sized. Did you get a Sgt Fang resin, or some type of fiberglass? What is your current bucket?

8. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    Morning Ian,

I have the same problems with my Royal Guard - I can't hear much or be heard. Tom picked up some stuff at Radio Shack that Mike suggested but I haven't had a chance to try it all out yet. Whatever I use needs to be small like earbuds to fit in my helmet or have a long enough cord to fit into my fannypack that holds the battery pack for my fan so I can breathe in my bucket. While my RG looks so cool, it can be a royal pain, but that's the only armor you'll ever get me into (until I start the blue Senate Guard costume or Darren gets brave enough to make a FemTrooper). [face_laugh] Daria.

9. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Hi Karen,

Glad to see you hard at work making your white Leia. [face_dancing] Those boots looked perfect. Oh, one little thing I noticed recently is that there are little slits on both sides of the dress to show about half the height of the boot. Did you use Diane's template or a pattern? I used the now discontinued Simplicity pattern which said to make the belt out of the same white material. I cut out and sewed the silver accents out of silver lamee and used hook and eyes to close the belt. We found big, plain, silver, metal buttons to sew in the center of the silver accents. I also tried it in cream and silver vinyl which my sewing machine did not like. According to various online tutorials, you are supposed to use off-white/cream leather/vinyl for the belt and metal plates with metal buttons or snaps in the center of the accents. The fabric stretches; the vinyl didn't when I attempted to make both the same size. [face_worried] So, the fabric belt fits (actuallly it's a bit big now, so I may need to adjust the hooks for this weekend), the vinyl one doesn't yet. :mad:

I don't remember how long and thick your hair is, but with my fine and medium length hair, I used to part it down the center, hairspray back my bangs, make little buns on each side of my head before adding 2 large buns made from hair extensions (which matched my part's hair color at that time) I bought at Sally's Beauty Supply. Tom laughs because I have a few different sets of buns to match various shades my hair has been. The fake jumbo braids are only about $2 each, and I tend to have the luck that they are on sale when I needed them so they were ~$1.50 each. More recently when I really dyed my hair red and couldn't find hair extensions close enough for my hair, (oops) I bought a deluxe Dorothy wig from a local costume shop (~$35). It is a good quality wig which was already parted with what looks like a scalp. The hair is long and thick so it makes wonderful buns when I took apart the braids. Oh, hair nets in your hair color over each bun keeps them behaved, so you don't have to use so many hairpins. Otherwise they will get puffy as the day goes on. WARNING: You'll find men have a fascination with this costume, so don't be surprised if they want to touch your buns. [face_hypnotized] I'm serious; I've never been so mauled as when I am in this costume; even Mara's leather doesn't get that kind of attention. After last year's Astronomicon, I refused to wear this costume for months.

This weekend I've been asked to wear my white Leia for the Make-A-Wish Gala, so I'll be using the wig. Talk to you later. Hope this helps. PM or e-mail me if you have any other questions. Daria.

10. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Ian I found the amp, I will bring it to the Event this month ready to go. bring your headset so you can use it then :)

BTW I am trying to clear my holiday projects sewing list so I can work on a costume for a certain new movie coming out next month [face_devil]

11. Jem-Kerr-Lodemi

Jul 30, 2006
    :)Thanks Dar, I think it looks pretty good. Will find out shortly, will be heading off to Ian's soon. I followed the template Diane and I talked about, I just hope I followed it right, I had it pictured in my head as to how I wanted it to look and work...:confused: hope my idea works. And if I can use the same material for now, I have some that is perfect for the belt.

DarSolo:: I cut out and sewed the silver accents out of silver lamee and used hook and eyes to close the belt. We found big, plain, silver, metal buttons to sew in the center of the silver accents.

Thanks that would work for me...[face_dancing] I want to try to make her dress from the end of New Hope next, I loved that dress since I was little...[face_blush] I'd like to see your one from the ewok village, I like that one too. My hair used to be long enough, for both buns and when she wears it down in the villiage. I would need to get some extensions, so pay day is friday, there's a Sally's here, I'll go pickup some and those nets too. ;)I'll be careful who plays with my buns....:D[face_laugh] Have a great time at Make a wish.

12. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    The one I will be getting will be fiberglass. My old one is a fiberglass Don Post. It's a good helmet just a little small for my fat head.

Strawbary

That sounds great. I will bring the headset for the kids B'day party.

KJ

13. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Glad to help. I can't wait to see your complete costume. Just a warning, I've been told that my fabric belt wasn't acceptable for Rebel Legion either; that it need to be leather or vinyl with the metal accents. Oh well.

I have the material (Casa Collection from Joann's) for this SW:ANH Celebration dress as well as silver clay to make the necklace. The silver pumps have been the hardest to find in my size now, so I'll just wear a silver pair that I wore for my wedding reception. Since I can't decide on which pattern to use, I just haven't been motivated to work on this now that I bought all the supplies. If you'd like, I can check my files for the number on the bolts of fabric I got for this dress. Supposedly, this material is perfect for it. Watch the ads, Joann's slashes the price (50% or better) of the Casa Collection fabric several times a year. Two good sources on the web for information are Padawan's Guide and Obi-Wan's Jedi Academy as well as Rebel Legion. Take care. Daria.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.